The Ancona breeders thread

Greetings Robert!

As to your inquiry. I'd say that the strain is still young, and with that comes a high level of variability. For the next few years, I'd say that you should just be observant. Raise as many up to 6 months as you can and see what turns out.

Although you'll have plenty of layers, you're only going to want to breed from, say, two to three males and two to three females. Give them the time they need to show themselves to you.

I know that it might seem very important to select for production right from the start, but really you first want o get a handle on the line, and that takes 3+ years. Then, when you can start looking at them as youngsters and have a pretty good feel for what to expect, you can start closing in on fine points.

Right now, just watch them and get to know them.

Greetings Robert!

As to your inquiry. I'd say that the strain is still young, and with that comes a high level of variability. For the next few years, I'd say that you should just be observant. Raise as many up to 6 months as you can and see what turns out.

Although you'll have plenty of layers, you're only going to want to breed from, say, two to three males and two to three females. Give them the time they need to show themselves to you.

I know that it might seem very important to select for production right from the start, but really you first want o get a handle on the line, and that takes 3+ years. Then, when you can start looking at them as youngsters and have a pretty good feel for what to expect, you can start closing in on fine points.

Right now, just watch them and get to know them.

Only thing that's important is to know what one knows and listen to the wisdom of those who know more! I'll raise them all to six months!

You're going to enjoy it. Follow your instincts. Keeping weighing them. Watch them. Notice when their bodies shift and put on shape and substance. Notice when the males start to stand out; notice if any males stand out significantly later than the average. Watch the ones that seem to stand out right away; often they peek too soon. Watch for deep, strong heads--pay attention to leaders. There should be some good ones, but you'll certainly have ridiculous spikes as well.

When the time comes, you'll notice who comes into lay first.

Watch the quality of the black. Every once in a while there's one that is mat as opposed to the nice beetle-green sheen across the feather. Watch out for legs that are too heavily black.

Are you thinking about showing at some point?

I weighed them yesterday there is a huge difference in weights there's a male that weighs 1lb 12-1/2oz and I think what is a female (very small comb) that weighs 1lb 13oz! There are also a few 1lb 1oz females (?). Of course the weights are not exact because the darn birds don't stay still.

A few weeks ago it looked like every one of them had a squirrel tail now not so. There also getting blacker.

Yes, we will be showing. You think you're going to keep competing against yourself forever! Someday I'd like to be considered competition.

This fall the kids want to show them.

I weighed them yesterday there is a huge difference in weights there's a male that weighs 1lb 12-1/2oz and I think what is a female (very small comb) that weighs 1lb 13oz! There are also a few 1lb 1oz females (?). Of course the weights are not exact because the darn birds don't stay still.

A few weeks ago it looked like every one of them had a squirrel tail now not so. There also getting blacker.

Yes, we will be showing. You think you're going to keep competing against yourself forever! Someday I'd like to be considered competition.

This fall the kids want to show them.

That's awesome news on the showing front. For the kids, contact Gail Berube at 716-6852, she's in charge of the APA/ABA Youth Club for the New Hampshire Poultry Fanciers Association. You want to get the kids involved with that program; it's pretty cool, and they'll meet the other kids they'll be seeing at the regional shows.

"A few weeks ago it looked like every one of them had a squirrel tail now not so. There also getting blacker." This is precisely what I mean. It takes multiple seasons to get to know how the birds grow out, what phases they go through, etc.... As this happens, you'll know more and more how to cull them.

You can cull for leg color immediately, and once the males start growing their combs, you can cull for comb. This allows one to hatch a larger number of chicks than one intends to raise out because the undesirable chicks will be culled before they start to compete for floor space. On the other hand, there are many things in type and color that don't settle for a good while.

I think you'll find that this isn't something that one masters right away, which is what keeps it interesting, of course. I am always marveling at what I continue to learn. It's good fun. Then there is also the New England APA/ABA community which is a really nice group of folks. You will get much better support than mine along the way!

Pullet or cockerel? I've thought pullet until today when I caught it crowing. My other bird is an obvious cockerel with out a doubt. They are the same age and from same breeder.

Back
Top Bottom