The Ancona breeders thread

Are you looking for Rose Comb or Single Comb?

At the moment, I'm holding off. I've started a different bantam project, and I should get that up a running smoothly before I get another going---if I am so dense as to do that, which often I am......

Although comb wise, I'd go either way, but they'd end up rose combed pretty fast regardless.

I have been working with single comb Ancona here in Southwest Wisconsin for a few years. I have to say that they are the most economical birds and lay at a high and consistent rate. My two and three year old hens lay as well as ever. I purchased some new stock from Sand Hill Preservation, and will be breeding the older hens to this blood line in the spring. I also have to say that the hens did fine this past winter in Wisconsin. I was surprised how well they handled the cold. We love this breed!

I have ancona hens in my commercial layers, they were originally from Murray McMurray. I have really liked their production, so this spring I selected 3 of my most productive females and placed them in a breeding pen with my male. I hatched 74 chicks from this mating 31 of which are pulleys. This is my first time breeding the Anconas, My focus has been on Black Minorcas and to a lesser degree Blue Andulusians, I don't show my interest is purely production. I will try to post some pics of my young stock. I feel this is an overlooked breed for egg production. We will see if we can through production selection further enhance this quality.

These are beautiful birds. I love the dark color. About a quarter of my hens have too much white in them, almost like an Exchequer Leghorn. The initial hens are from McMurray. I plan to take the two darkest hens and breed them to my rooster from Sand Hill.

Back
Top Bottom