The Animals of our local Shelter

Uh-oh, you've unleashed the baby pictures.
smile.png

Five little bundles of mews (and poos, but we won't get into that) eagerly awaiting a bottle and a chance to use the bathroom (they mostly only go when I stimulate them to do it, since they are still so young).

This is Bee, the little girl of the group. She is a tabby and white and is growing very well. She loves the baba.

Here she is sucking on my finger, however, hoping for some milk. I had to show her the bottle again. Sometimes they get a little confused when going of smell, since they spill the milk all over the place.

This little guy (or possibly gal) is Kai. Kai and Trouble are very hard to tell apart, but Kai has a shorter, lighter nose and a white spot on his belly (a small one, but it's still there). Kai is also bigger, but that can change a lot when they are all with-in a few grams of each other.

I can't tell if this is Trouble or Kai, but either way its adorable! Yes, the claws are very sharp. They insist on holding onto something while nursing.

Bee again. Don't worry about the red stuff on her or me, that is dye. These kitties love to feed on their stomachs with their heads up or else on their back legs with their chest supported on a hand (so they are at a slant). Kittens shouldn't be fed on their backs like a human baby would be.

Cash, giving a little mew after he was rinsed off (he peed on himself). He is also a tabby and white but has white patches on his back. Look at those adorable baby eyes!

Cash, falling asleep on the bottle. They purr so loud after a meal, it is SOOO cute.

Cash nursing after his bath. A bottle lets them know everything is okay. They like to have two short meals every 2-4 hours (they eat more often during the day than the night, like when their mother would go hunting). They get confused when I stay with them too long at this age, assuming their mother only returns to feed and bath them before leaving again. If I stay with them they just cry and try to nurse the whole time, so they don't get much cuddles right now, just sleep, feed, and potty. They'll show their playful side soon though (already are a little).

Bee just looking plain adorable. These tiny guys just opened their eyes and yet they can already climb and they are grooming themselves too!

I think this is Trouble, just an hour or so after coming home from the shelter. He was enjoying not being in a box in a car anymore, and they all cuddled up inside a blanket to rest after a good baba.

Another cute picture of little Cash.

Bee and Ollie curled up together in a blanket, showing off how tabby colors really do blend in.

Cash fast asleep, enjoying the gentle "grooming" I'm giving him.

Bee, sprawled out with her siblings after a good meal.

Adorable, big, and a an amazing (if not piggish) feeder, this brown tabby is Oliver (Ollie for short).

And that is all the kittens (Ollie, Cash, Kai, Trouble and Bee). I'll try to update you guys on their progress and post plenty of pictures. : )

The kittens are so cute
love.gif
Thanks for sharing some photos of them!

Aww so cute.
I woukd love to take them all
I hope they all find loving homes
But at the moment I think they are having s great time
But looking at the pictures
Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Its nice to know that people care about these animals.
smile.png

This here is a dog still in quarantine, Beef Squatch. She is a female Pit Bull, blue and white just like Matrix. She is full of energy and can't wait until she is given the go-ahead for her first walk.

This is a dilute Doberman that came in as a stray and found his way back to his owner. His name is Axel and he looks more or less like a horse. He was about the size of one too!!!

Hilda is also in quarantine still, so I couldn't take her out, but she is a sweet girl and I think possibly injured (she was limping) so I'm glad she can get the care she needs before either being found her home or being put up for adoption.

Durango is a large boxer mix. He looks like an older boy, a stray brought in around the same time as Axel. He is still in quarantine in the second kennel.

You can barely see him, but this here is Logan, running around in their run with multiple pools to play in because its been so hot out. He was loving it.

Barley going on her first walk with me. She is a sweet, shy but perceptive. She has the softest coat ever and an adorable stub-tail.

This is her chow smile. : )

LouLou the pit mix running around in their yard. She can jump incredibly high and does so a lot. She's got the pit energy in there that is for sure. They just love to run.

Sweet, sweet Miss Muffett is an Australian Shepherd female (dilute with brilliant blue eyes). So shy and gentle and adoring, she just loves to be held and petted and cuddled. She is still in quarantine, but I gave her some loving. Hopefully she can have a walk soon.

her adoring eyes. Her eyes are somewhat off center and can make her look a little strange (you can't tell well in this picture) but her sweet personality makes up for it.

She is smaller than what I've seen most Aussies as, so she might be a mini. She rolled over to be petted. Her fur is very soft.

Toby is a German Shepherd mix that was recently neutered and so was free to be walked for the first time. He is slightly over-weight and has some itchy issues at the base of his tail, but with a little work with the vet I think he will be ready for adoption soon. : )

We also have Libby (a shih tzu mix that finally got her matted coat shaved. She was so happy), Lester (up for adoption now because the quarantine kennel is so full), and Buster (a lab mix) that is in quarantine.

I'll be going today to see how all is going (I haven't been there all weekend so I'm excited).

So right now, up for adoption are LouLou, Zorro, Orina, Lester, BJ, Oliver, Piglet (Sabreena), Karmin, General, Uno, Matrix, Buster, Carmen, Barley, Snoopy, Miss Muffet, Clancy and Libby.
Waiting to be given the go-ahead are Nadia, Durango, Thor, Josie, Betty, Coco, Brandy and two new dogs that arrived a couple days ago.
Toby was recently returned to his owner and Clevland is waiting for his chance at that as well (he is a boxer).
Delilah is a pittie mix puppy that is too young to be up for adoption yet and is waiting in her own room with some toys and blanket and lots of cuddle time. She is ADORABLE!
Katia, Shelby and Garrick are in foster.
Recently adopted are Logan, Ilene, Fulton, and Tank and people are very interested in Buster, Orina, Libby, Barley and Miss Muffet.

As far as cats go, we still have with us Shrimpi, London, Thompson, Bailey, Peggy, Rags, Rupert, Aida, Ajak, Memo, Sirius and Zeke for adoption.
Still waiting for the go-ahead are Fencer, Hailey, Copycat, Weasel, Nash, Newton, Dusky, Ebony, Ash, Mumsy, Mr. Cool, Fred, Rambo, Steve, Collin, Moo, and my five kittens in foster.
Ginseng remains in boarding while a new kitten, whose name I don't know yet, recently arrived and is in critical condition in the Hospital Room of the shelter. He is black and white and was so weak he couldn't lift his head when he first arrived. He seems to be doing somewhat better, but he still has a lot of progress to make before he is ready for a new home.
As for cats recently adopted, we've had over 20 this month alone! Yay!!! There is Angeldust, Naomi, Nutmeg, Elliot, Trinket, Mazda, Welch, Talulah, Twinkle, Tressa, Stachey, Vader, probably Edgar, Granger, Nibbles, Scampi, Sazuki, Sasuke, Smith, Potter, Bashford, Racer, Honda, Tirnity, Hastings, Toyota, Sturges, and Boodle.

We brought some of our dogs (Orina, Lester, Piglet, Uno, Buster, Barley, Libby, and LouLou) to an event at Honda where the employees got to pet and walk the dogs. It was a ton of fun and the dogs were happily exhausted by the end. Poor Barley with her long coat needed to rest in the shade between walks to keep cool (as did Piglet with her stubby legs) but they loved the cuddles they got during the time. A lot of people were interested in adoption and hopefully all these individuals will find good homes.

Here are some update photos:

Ash, Dusky and Ebony had to be separated from their mother, Mumsy, because they got sick. Hopefully they'll get better soon and can be put up for adoption. I'm sure Mumsy would love to get a forever home as well. She is such a sweet-heart.

Delilah the pittie mix puppy. She looks just like Tank did when he came in, and she is so sweet and playful and cuddly. She didn't like to sit still, so this is the best picture I could get. She's still got puppy-breath and everything!

Lester, enjoying the shade after a walk. He is a terrier mix.

Uno, the Boxer mix, enjoying the outside weather. He looks a lot like Carmen the Pittie mix, but he is only 6 months old, which means he may get bigger. He's a real sweet-heart, but still has the puppy need to chew on things.

Durango, enjoying his first walk with me.

He was very happy. : )

Clevland the boxer. Hopefully he can find his way back to his owner. : )

Shy but sweet Josie before she got her bath. She is a black lab mix.

Lester again.

Cash, one of my foster kittens, drinking a bottle on my knees. I have to keep him out of reach of the other kittens or they try to steal the bottle the entire time. Kittens clawing at each other tends to lead to the person holding the bottle getting shredded.

I'm not sure if this is Trouble or Kai, but by how content this kitten looks, I'd say it was Trouble. He has started to use the litter box finally, along with Kai and Bee. Bee was actually the first one to use it on her own.

This is Betty, an abandonment case beagle mix so full of sweet energy and playfulness. She is in quarantine until she is officially the shelters, then she will likely be snatched up for adoption very quickly. She is so adorable!

Beef Squatch as been renamed Nadia, which I have to agree fits her better. This is her looking forward to a walk outdoors.

Wow, things are getting busy around here. I guess with summer comes a lot more drop-offs as well as kittens, because almost all the dog kennels are full including one of the connection rooms, the Surgery room and one foster home. Thankfully, along with the multiple new dogs comes many people with the time (summer-break) to consider bringing a new pet and family-member into their house-hold. Many of the dogs are being adopted and it is wonderful to see.

In the Quarantine rooms we've got Alfie, Durango, Thor, Jimmy, Marx, Meteor, Coco, Brandy and two strays that will likely have been returned to their owners by the next day.
As part of our program to help dogs and prisoners alike we've got Shelby, Clancy and Katia away at the Reformatory.
Up for adoption are Lou-Lou, Zorro, Oliver, Nadia, BJ, Karmin, General, Uno, Matrix, Buster, Josie, Barley, Snoopy, Libby, Betty and Lester. We're celebrating that Miss Muffet and Piglet both found homes!!! Yay!
Comet, a young and too thin Border Collie mix puppy stays in the Surgery room (which has holding kennels for quarantine as well) and is very sweet, friendly, and loves to stick by your side no matter what. She's only 14 lbs right now, as much as our Maltese mix but twice her size the poor thing.
Garrick the Humane Case bulldog remains in foster until he has gained enough weight to be ready for adoption and the little puppy, Delilah, was just spayed and will have to wait until she's up-to-date on her vaccinations before she can be ready fora new home.

Someone also brought in a run-away Ferret that had likely escaped in the neighborhood. I'm hoping that the owners think to ask the shelter and that it get returned to its family.

I'll put up pictures soon. : )

Finally, my up-date photos!!!
big_smile.png

While I prefer getting pictures of the dogs outside, many of the new dogs are put into quarantine and cannot be walked until it is established they do not have contagious diseases or behavioral issues. It is for their safety, our own and that of the other animals in the shelter. Quarantine is an essential part of any animal keeping business/rescue and plays a major roll in preventing the spread of difficult or impossible to cure infectious diseases such as rabies, distemper, many different kinds of bacteria, ringworm, and others.

Anyways, lets get on with it. : )

This here is Orina, she's a sweet Shepherd mix female that's about 8-10 months old if I remember correctly. Thin but very sweet and active, she as adopted very quickly after she was made available and I'm sure is very happy too. Good like Orina!!

Darcy is a Springer Spaniel who came in for a day or so and was reunited with her owner! Congrats Darcy and family!!!

Lou-Lou playing in the run. People have looked at her and are interested, but I think her intense energy from being in the kennel makes her seem over-whelming when she is initially let out. She needs some time to run it off before she shows her true nature and sweetness.

Buster is a favorite around here for his calm and sweet behavior, ease of walking, and good manners. He is a fairly young Lab mix (probably with a beagle) and was only surrendered because he could no longer be kept, not for behavioral reasons. He is a very good boy and will likely be adopted quickly.

Lester on a walk. Lester is still with us but getting use to the routine and very good on walks. I think he'll find a home fairly quickly because he doesn't pull on his leash, is small in size, and very sweet and playful.

General remains on medical-hold for skin issues, but is in the main kennel for people to consider for adoption. he is very friendly and energetic, very much does not like to end his run sessions (they usually end with me chasing him down because he won't come) and enjoys racing the others through the fence when they are out to play as well.
He was eagerly waiting for me to open the door and begin the walk in this picture.

Miss Muffet (Missy for short) the sweet little Australian Shepherd female, was adopted a few days ago for her forever home. Very, very, very shy and sweet and gentle and timid, her soft fur and adoration for her friends won over everyone's hearts.

Meteor, a 9 month old Border Collie mix female who is loyal, energetic, playful, and eager to please. She came in with the much younger and smaller Comet, who has just been adopted by a family with a disabled child. Meteor, while larger, would likely make a wonderful pet for someone who wants a loyal companion as well.

Highly shy but very sweet and gentle, Josie is a lab mix who is now up for adoption, though she remains hesitant to come at first until she gets to learn to trust you.

Alfie, a spaniel of some kind, is still in quarantine but is friendly, thoughtful, and slow-paced with that wise-old-man look on his face and ticked coat (colors, not the parasite
smile.png
). He was recently bathed to get off that stray-dog grime and allow him to rest in a clean coat for the first time in a while.

Friendly but disabled, Benji is a mix-breed dog who is blind and possibly also partially deaf. He barks when you enter, as if to both invite you over to play and warn you that he knows you are approaching. It may be hard to find him just the right home, but we'll give it our best shot. : )

Danby is a collie mix male who came in recently and remains in quarantine as well. Quiet and a little shy, he is a good boy, though still getting over the stress of the change in his life from wherever it was he came from to a place with so many dogs. They love the space, attention, food, water and treats but the barking of the rest of the shelter members can be over-whelming at first.

Marx, nervous and with some fear-aggression issues, he is still a friendly dog who looks forward to me bringing him treats, he just likely wasn't socialized properly while growing up. He is a mix-breed of some kind with a brown and black coat.

Jimmy, our other uncertain boy who remains in quarantine. He too enjoys treats and attention, but until we know whether or not his uncertainty and fear will make him prone to growling or nipping, we can't put him up for adoption. This is for the people's safety as well as his own, as dogs that do end up biting, even if out of fear, often get in bad trouble and we won't to protect them from that.

Excited, friendly, playful and sweet, this here is Betty, a beagle mix female that is around 10 months old if I remember correctly. She is an abandonment case, apparently someone simply couldn't keep her, even though she is such an amazing dog. I'm sure she'll find a home soon as she doesn't hold anything against people and just wants to be with them and playing.

One of the new strays that got brought in, this big boy is a shy but sweet dude, likely a purebred breed of bulldog like an Amitola or American.

A stray that only stayed as long as it took to contact his owner. He didn't even get a name. But he was such a sweet looking boy I'm sure his owners were so happy to have found him.

Meteor on a walk, showing off those long thin legs of hers.

Meteor on the run.... : )

The Border Collie mix puppy that came in with Meteor is Comet. Three months younger and only 14 lbs, she is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever met. She adores just being with you, constantly. She doesn't want to leave your side and she just wants to be told she is good and be held. She didn't even want to go on a walk really, just be with you. She is going to a wonderful new home where she will gain some much-needed weight and be given all the love she craves and deserves.

Oliver, a great-dane mix up for adoption. Totally a sweet goof-ball but with-out any idea of his own strength, he can be intimidating size-wise but with some guidance and love he will make a wonderful, playful, loyal companion for someone. He is only a year-old and his somewhat smaller size means that he will be less likely to have as bad structural problems as a full-size Great-dane would have.

And last but not least, though you may not be able to see, this is a surprise stray that was brought in a few days ago. Bubba the ferret was found on someones back porch and was brought here until he can find his owner. Hopefully they know to search at the shelter, as sometimes ferret owners just can't believe their ferret could really go that far away from home.

Not pictured are Durango, Thor, Brandy, Coco, Katia, Shelby, Clancy, Nadia (recently spayed and up for adoption), Piglet (she was adoption pending but still has not been brought to her new home), Karmin, Uno (a Boxer mix puppy), Matrix, Barley, Snoopy and Libby.
Garrick remains in a foster home as he continues to get better from his neglect and little Delilah was just spayed as she continues to grow to the right age to be adopted.

Kittens are still coming in at the shelter. We've got a Walinda, Mac, Domino, Nutmeg, Ash, Dusky, Ebony, Newton, Vader, Sirius, Zeke, Weasley, Naomi (adoption pending), Fred, Rowan, Steve, Rambo, my five kittens, and likely a few others in foster that I haven't seen yet. However, a rare thing in the cat world, one female that came into the shelter had a microchip and found her way back to her owners!!!
If you loose a cat, don't give up too quickly. They may be wandering, injured (they often wait a few days to nurse themselves to better health before returning), at a home with some good food (they go back and forth between favorite homes), at the shelter, or even taken in by someone who assumes they are homeless. Talk to the shelter and give them a description, picture, name, anything to go off of so they can put it out to all the local rescues in the area. Hang up posters, put it on Facebook, call for your cat, leave food out.

The best way to prevent wandering and loosing a cat that is outdoors is: Provide warmth and shelter so it feels no need to search for it; plenty of nutritious food and cool, clean water; shade from the hot son; protection from predators with a safe den-box, barn, shed, garage or cat-door to the indoors; neuter or spay!!!! (cats that can breed will go looking to do just that and often get diseases and injuries in the process); and give your cat daily attention so it knows you care about it and wants to remain around to continue to get just that. Also, vaccinations and wormers will help them stay in tip-top shape.

Also remember, a fully declawed cat cannot protect its self from other cats, dogs, and other predators as well as being unable to climb things as well to escape. I have heard stories of cats being killed because of their lack of claws, so please, always keep a fully declawed cat indoors or provide easy access for it to get indoors quickly should the need arise.

Back
Top Bottom