The Animals of our local Shelter

Ilene and Wally were both adopted!

Ilene the hound x Great Pyrenees
Ilene 1.jpg

Sweet Wally. He came in thin and with some skin issues, but is doing great and loving his new family!
Wally 1.jpg

Our Suzie Q came from one of the Albuquerque shelters. SHE was the puppy that was returned twice. They thought she was nuts. Which I considered completely normal behavor .We get along fine.

Our Suzie cue like a rocket she only knee high but she can clear the living room couch like it wasn't even there. Full speed just about all the time. She a short haired Boarder collie mix of some sort.

Our Suzie cue like a rocket she only knee high but she can clear the living room couch like it wasn't even there. Full speed just about all the time. She a short haired Boarder collie mix of some sort.

Border Collie mixes are amazing dogs! She sounds awesome!
And thanks for adopting. You have no idea how much it means for the staff and volunteers at shelters to know a dog gets a loving, understanding home.

I always feel bad for dogs returned a lot. My friend's family has a Golden and they're like her third owner.

She apparently came from a puppy mill, which they found out recently, and was released at like 3 months when they release them (maybe it's 8 weeks?) Then was bought by a family or someone but they soon realized she as too much work/too crazy and were like yeah no she they took her to a pet store (idk why there and not a shelter?) Where she sat for a little while and was then bought by a local college student (which my friend says must been a drunken purchase cause puppies are cute and what student buys a puppy?) But she obviously like immediately realized she couldn't do it and put her on I think eBay or Craigslist where a friend of theirs saw her and told them because they were looking for a second dog. I think they've had her since she was like 3 or 4 months though because I remember little pictures of her. So she was bounced around a lot in a very short span. I think she's maybe 7 months now? Or maybe 8 or 9. A picture i just found said September so it must be closer to 8 or 9 cause September was 6 months away and they don't give away 1 month old puppies lol so that actually might be 9 or 10. I'm not sure exactly but yeah. Anyway, long story short, poor thing has been bounced around so she's probably somewhat scared and she's kinda crazy and hyper lol but she's cute.

Although they think she's part hound or something because she's got shorter, less wavy fur than their other Golden; is smaller/skinnier and just feels kinda bony though they feed her enough (though she's also very active and under a year old so that could be why but I forgot to say that); has a smaller, narrower head and narrower, longer, kinda pointy snout; and, the real kicker, she howls! Their other Golden never did that but I guess she howls a lot. And she's just more energetic/crazy. So I think they might do a DNA test

I always feel bad for dogs returned a lot. My friend's family has a Golden and they're like her third owner.

She apparently came from a puppy mill, which they found out recently, and was released at like 3 months when they release them (maybe it's 8 weeks?) Then was bought by a family or someone but they soon realized she as too much work/too crazy and were like yeah no she they took her to a pet store (idk why there and not a shelter?) Where she sat for a little while and was then bought by a local college student (which my friend says must been a drunken purchase cause puppies are cute and what student buys a puppy?) But she obviously like immediately realized she couldn't do it and put her on I think eBay or Craigslist where a friend of theirs saw her and told them because they were looking for a second dog. I think they've had her since she was like 3 or 4 months though because I remember little pictures of her. So she was bounced around a lot in a very short span. I think she's maybe 7 months now? Or maybe 8 or 9. A picture i just found said September so it must be closer to 8 or 9 cause September was 6 months away and they don't give away 1 month old puppies lol so that actually might be 9 or 10. I'm not sure exactly but yeah. Anyway, long story short, poor thing has been bounced around so she's probably somewhat scared and she's kinda crazy and hyper lol but she's cute.

Although they think she's part hound or something because she's got shorter, less wavy fur than their other Golden; is smaller/skinnier and just feels kinda bony though they feed her enough (though she's also very active and under a year old so that could be why but I forgot to say that); has a smaller, narrower head and narrower, longer, kinda pointy snout; and, the real kicker, she howls! Their other Golden never did that but I guess she howls a lot. And she's just more energetic/crazy. So I think they might do a DNA test

I'm glad she has a family she is doing well with. Yeah, numerous studies have shown puppy mill dogs to have behavioral problems from the lack of socialization and mental stimulation during their first couple months of life. It takes dedication, but they can become amazing family members with patience and understanding.
We've had some dogs that keep getting returned for reasons such as moving and it is heart-breaking. I love seeing a dog finally get a forever family. : )

I'm glad she has a family she is doing well with. Yeah, numerous studies have shown puppy mill dogs to have behavioral problems from the lack of socialization and mental stimulation during their first couple months of life. It takes dedication, but they can become amazing family members with patience and understanding.
We've had some dogs that keep getting returned for reasons such as moving and it is heart-breaking. I love seeing a dog finally get a forever family. : )

Yeah, they love her! She is so smart! Drives the older one crazy though with lots of biting the face/wanting to play/growly playful puppy shenanigans lol

I wonder then if the howling is maybe just a behavioral problem? But her snout is different. But that could be poor puppy mill breeding too

And aw yeah, I imagine that's sad. :(

And they are great and go trail running with the dogs and stuff like that. They're big runners

Yeah, they love her! She is so smart! Drives the older one crazy though with lots of biting the face/wanting to play/growly playful puppy shenanigans lol

I wonder then if the howling is maybe just a behavioral problem? But her snout is different. But that could be poor puppy mill breeding too

And aw yeah, I imagine that's sad. :(

And they are great and go trail running with the dogs and stuff like that. They're big runners

If she came from a backyard breeder she very well could be a mix-breed. Most puppy mills have pure dogs or designer dogs (mostly poodle mixes), however, they don't always breed them to standard, so you sometimes get some odd looks and behaviors from them. Sometimes they are way thinner, smaller, bigger, or have a different coat texture than a well-bred individual.

I can say, our Golden Retriever mixes all howled. It's soooo cute! :D

If she came from a backyard breeder she very well could be a mix-breed. Most puppy mills have pure dogs or designer dogs (mostly poodle mixes), however, they don't always breed them to standard, so you sometimes get some odd looks and behaviors from them. Sometimes they are way thinner, smaller, bigger, or have a different coat texture than a well-bred individual.

I can say, our Golden Retriever mixes all howled. It's soooo cute! :D

That makes sense! I wonder if it's possible for the mill dogs to escape or get loose accidentally?

And aww that's adorable! She must be a mix then?

That makes sense! I wonder if it's possible for the mill dogs to escape or get loose accidentally?

And aww that's adorable! She must be a mix then?

Puppy mill dogs do get loose, but more often they are just released, especially if they have health problems or are not good breeders. The two setters that were adopted out together were almost certainly puppy mill dogs. They weren't potty trained, didn't know sit, didn't really understand leashes or what a couch was, and paced in their kennel like a dog that has lived in a kennel a lot. They were soooo sweet though. Both had health problems but thankfully they are doing well.

Back
Top Bottom