The Annoyance of Selling Birds: Cheap People

DarkWingDuck

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Meville
For some reason, I just happened to think about some of the cheap people I've come across while selling poultry. I once had a guy come to my house and express interest in my "Easter egg chickens." When I said I'd sell him some for $5 each he was like "I could buy a "big chicken from the supermarket for that"!

Another time I was selling buff orpingtons for $5 and had some woman whistle like I just stated some sort of insanely high price. On another occasion, I was selling buff orpginton and australorp chicks for $1 each; some guy actually yelled "I never pay more than fifty cents for chicks"! Who else runs into this sort of thing a lot?

It happens with any business.

I do wedding photography and my base package for 4 hours with an album of images is about $1,400. A lady walked in and told me that someone else quoted her $500 for 4 hours for video and photos. I politely told her I couldn't do it for that and that sometimes you get what you pay for.

There are all kinds of strange people in this world. There was a woman who wanted to buy one of my birds and said that she would pay any price just to get one. "Anything up to $10 dollars", she said. I was flabbergasted. Then I stated that she could purchase some really nice birds from www.eggbid.com She gave me her card, which stated that she was a realtor. I threw it away in the garbage and never called her. Some people have chutzpah.

Suzy

frow.gif

A few weeks ago my father in law told me that some friends of his from the Cattlegrowers' Assoc were after some laying hens. I told him I had 3 or 4 I could sell, but I wanted to keep all the others, or I would be happy to hatch them a batch of chicks for free if they wanted more. He was amazed that I was wanting to sell the hens, as he had offered to give them away! They wanted 10, thank the Lord I didn't agree to that. Who offers someone else's livestock to a stranger for free, and who on earth would ask that of someone they didn't know?! I rarely sell a laying hen because (as you're all aware) nobody is willing to pay their actual worth. But give ten away... I was speechless!

You could have offered to trade your hens for one of their cows! That would have brought them to their senses!

Suzy

frow.gif

I'm selling point of lay hens for $10. After doing the math, I realized that I'm barely going to break even after a looooong winter of shoveling 2 bags of feed/week down these hungry hippos.

So, anytime someone questions my pricing, I tell them that. I know I won't be raising layers next year. It's not worth the trouble.

What I find alot is people will not pay even 10.00 for a full grown hen but will spent 3.00 to 4.00 on st. run chicks and think they are getting a bargain!

I agree, it happens in any business. We charge a 4 hour minimum for our machine time. Need to cover the cost of fuel, time and insurance.

Quote:
I was tempted to offer my father in law's calf crop for this year to a friend of mine.
tongue.png

If that's what chickens are going for in your area, then I wouldn't bother trying to sell them for so little. Let other folks buy chicks from a hatchery or feed store & raise them for themselves. I myself wouldn't buy grown chickens from someone else, but I think it's worth more than $10 to raise, feed & protect pullet chicks up to point of lay.

What's really insane is that folks will balk at paying more than $10 for a young bird who will make them breakfast for several years or more, in addition to being as amusing & consoling as a pet, and a beautiful animal to look at. Yet they'll pay 100s, even 1000s for a little lap dog who won't lay anything you'd want to eat.

Back
Top Bottom