The BANTAM ORPINGTON Thread

Hey Guys,
I dont know if this is the right place to ask, but it sure looks like you guys know about bantam orps!
I bought a gorgeous little splash pullet at a show last week. She's in quarantine in the house with me for the moment and loves to snuggle with me at night. She also starts screaming when I leave her alone. Any idea how old she could be?
Also, how big are their eggs? She hasn't laid yet and I cant wait to see!!
I have only had rhodies/mixes standard size up to now, so any additional info about the breed would be welcomed!! Can they jump onto the couch like the big ones or are their legs too short? I ve heard that bantams can fly better than standards but here the opposite seems true. She's just like this big fluffy ball that hardly moves.. Or maybe she's just shy still? Otherwise she's healthy - I ve had her checked by an avian vet- and eats very well.
Experiences anyone??
She sure is a pretty little thing !!! Dont know what to tell you about her calm nature other than be thankfull for it, This egg is out of my black bantams & they are some laying little fools !

Last edited:
OK guys my Chocolate Orps are less than a year old and they layed like crazy for a while then one went broody and then the other. They have been broody about 3 times a piece this year. THEY BOTH GAVE UP ON THEIR LAST BATCH OF EGGS that they shared the nest on and still have not layed in a month or more. Any ideas anyone?

Hi everyone! I recently got some English Orp bantams. They were shipped from Louisiana, so they aren't in the greatest condition. I have 10 to choose from.
F259AFA6-915F-4912-8ECA-2C0D3E61EFAD-8389-0000078F8C850DC9_zpsa128a436.jpg

Here is the biggest chick. I call her Rocky, AKA "The Rock." Is there anything you can tell about her right now? She is certainly very fluffy. It's extremely difficult to get a good picture of her, I apologize for the bad quality.
A8FE1C8F-80B3-4B11-984A-D7CD11F87AB6-8919-000007D928722543_zps3ca189ce.jpg

CB4E8A92-B70B-4AB3-8006-18F6800EB9F8-8919-000007D92F0FB7D2_zps6b405448.jpg

Quote:
I think it's to early to tell much. The little bantams do come around faster than the standards. I also have some choc bantams, I think you might need a black split or some black blood to help in your breeding program. If not that choc color won't stay like it needs to. That's just my idea.

I think it's to early to tell much. The little bantams do come around faster than the standards. I also have some choc bantams, I think you might need a black split or some black blood to help in your breeding program. If not that choc color won't stay like it needs to. That's just my idea.

Next show I go to, I will look into it. I know last show they had an Orpington club meet. Hopefully they will this time so I can talk to some breeders. Thanks for the suggestion, I have no understandings of genetics *yet*

Back
Top Bottom