The BANTAM ORPINGTON Thread

My chocolate chips have a silkie hatchmate that has been laying for a month. The Roo is mating the layers But they are not laying at 5 months. Fertility can often be the need of a bum trim.

4month olds Violet and Godiva relaxing after decorating for fall!

I figured I'd come here for opinions. Are all bantam buff orp roos as nice as the LF? I have a young sebright cockerel now, and I want to have a backup plan if he gets moody and I have to send him to greener pastures. I was originally gonna get a LF BO roo but I want some banty hens and I heard LF roos can seriously injure them during mating. So I'm looking into good breeds for bantam roos, because I definitely want a good roo with my flock.

Last edited:
my bantam chocolate orp is 7 months & showing no signs of laying, my lf buffs have been laying for over 2 months & are only about 8 days older. My Chocolate-Fudge still peeps & her comb & waddles have just started developing. I have read too that the fertility rate is iffy with the Chocolates (might have read that on the Greenfire site or the Marc Sacre site). Would be interested in other opinions/experiences. PCL

Thanks for the reply. Mine are from Marc Sacre line. I bought them as eggs and 5 out of 6 hatched so these must of been pretty fertile lol. Even better, I got 4 girls and 1 boy! That never happens so definitely lucky. I get kinda nervous with only one roo though. I hope they hurry up and start laying so I can get another choc bantam roo because around here something always seems to happen to the roo if there is only one lol.

I figured I'd come here for opinions. Are all bantam buff orp roos as nice as the LF? I have a young sebright cockerel now, and I want to have a backup plan if he gets moody and I have to send him to greener pastures. I was originally gonna get a LF BO roo but I want some banty hens and I heard LF roos can seriously injure them during mating. So I'm looking into good breeds for bantam roos, because I definitely want a good roo with my flock.

My little chocolate bantam roo is super sweet just like the girls. He seems way sweeter than my LF orp males that I have had (lavender, black, buff, white). I can't answer specifics about buff bantam though.

My chocolate chips have a silkie hatchmate that has been laying for a month. The Roo is mating the layers But they are not laying at 5 months. Fertility can often be the need of a bum trim.

Thanks. I probably have a while to wait then on my mini choc chips lol. My LF orps seem to lay around 6-61/2 mos. I haven't seen my little choc roo trying to mate any of the girls or any older girls either. He has some olive egger girls and some lav orp girls in there. The lav orp girls just started laying and he isn't interested in them yet.

Back
Top Bottom