The BANTAM ORPINGTON Thread

Hi Bantam Orp people!
I am thinking of getting some bantam chocolate orps. How are they as egg layers? I know that their eggs will be smaller, but will I get many? My lf orps are awesome in that department.
Thanks!

Hi Bantam Orp people!
I am thinking of getting some bantam chocolate orps. How are they as egg layers? I know that their eggs will be smaller, but will I get many? My lf orps are awesome in that department.
Thanks!
Hi abkoldewyn:
I'm new with the Orpingtons, so take it for what it's worth. Once my four summer hatched chicks got things going, they've been laying pretty regularly. Their eggs are close to medium sized eggs. About 1 1/2 times larger than a true Bantam egg. One hen acted broody for a day or two, but she's back to laying again.
I read that spring hatched chickens mature earlier than fall hatched chickens, and that may be the reason mine were so slow about laying any eggs on regular basis.

Wanted to see what y'all thought about my little blue orp bantam. He came from a stock of blues, blacks, cookoo, and splash orps from Brandi in New Orleans (old home). He is blue but is starting to look cookoo on his head and neck. They are all so pretty and fluffy and sweet. Yes, there is a serama in their flock. She was a single hatch and needed playmates, so Brandi sold me these beauties as day olds. We ended up with 2 boys and 2 girls.

As you can see, they quickly outgrew her and she is 2 weeks older! They are 9 weeks and Buttercup is 11 weeks.

I only have one bantam orp that hatched. So far s/he gets along with all the standard size chicks (2 weeks). However, the chick is very fast & seems skittish. It runs away under the other chicks to hide. All the other chicks come running up to my hand when they see me. Is this behavior normal? Are bantams faster?

I only have one bantam orp that hatched. So far s/he gets along with all the standard size chicks (2 weeks). However, the chick is very fast & seems skittish. It runs away under the other chicks to hide. All the other chicks come running up to my hand when they see me. Is this behavior normal? Are bantams faster?

They tend to be a bit more hyper as chicks, but they do mellow out. Overall my bantam Orps have been excellent layers, almost every day. Although, I am on a second bout of broodiness from my year old hen... So expect them to go broody!

I am not sure if this the right place to post this, but I have a Chocolate Bantam Orpington who I think is going to be a rooster. Lucky is almost but not fully feathered yet, and is making strange crowing noises. Lol poor thing sounds like a "dog squeaky toy that's been broken", so I am assuming it is male. He came from Superior Feathers in Visalia as a chick. This is the first time around for me in raising chicks and this has been a great learning experience for me. We bought 3 chicks (hatched Mar 17) , I sure hoped for hens as I live in a city. Sooo I am willing to give him away if anyone's interested? I live in Antioch, Ca. Close to the bay area.

Last edited:

Of my 15 Buff Orpington chicks I raised, about half were skiddish during their early weeks. That changed for most of them by the time they were six weeks old. If you sat down in a chair among them, they'd fill your lap. Now, at 9 months of age my hens are very friendly.
I am not sure if this the right place to post this, but I have a Chocolate Bantam Orpington who I think is going to be a rooster. Lucky is almost but not fully feathered yet, and is making strange crowing noises. Lol poor thing sounds like a "dog squeaky toy that's been broken", so I am assuming it is male. He came from Superior Feathers in Visalia as a chick. This is the first time around for me in raising chicks and this has been a great learning experience for me. We bought 3 chicks (hatched Mar 17) , I sure hoped for hens as I live in a city. Sooo I am willing to give him away if anyone's interested? I live in Antioch, Ca. Close to the bay area.
Yes; when the roos begin crowing (mine, about 6 to 8 weeks ) they make very awkward squeakings. The hens, by the way, aren't too quiet themselves. When these Buffs began laying, they'd cry loudly 1/2 hour before laying. I couldn't stand to listen to them suffer, and would go back to the house. One or two of the 4 still carry on prior to laying. Must be rough going. :)

Does anyone know if my Goldie is a bantam buff Orpington? I am having a hard time finding her breed. Someone suggested this breed.

Here she is at a few days old

These are current pics and Goldie is now 7-8 weeks

Back
Top Bottom