The BANTAM ORPINGTON Thread

My poor guy "Link" got a touch of frost-bite this winter. But still a handsome guy, and good to the girls!
Was that picture taken today?

It might not be too late to save the points if you want to spend a little time caring for them.

I had 3 roosters get frostbite on their wattles this winter and none of them lost any flesh at all. I treated the frost bitten areas with vitamin e oil and with coconut oil on alternating days. Worked great!

It was taken a few days ago. I don't really mind because I would just have to deal with it again next year. That's why this guy (and the two girls) are the only single comb birds I have!

I have bantam orps in the incubator now....they will be on day 17 tomorrow. I know this has probably been asked a million times, and I am sorry if I am being annoying but....should I lock down tomorrow instead of day 18? I am so tired from my first batch of eggs ever, hatching for the last two days, I think I have slept 4 hours in two days. Thinking I had a couple of days before I do it all over again, a friend mentioned bantams go into lock down earlier
th.gif

Cookie's at it again!!!!

After a few days of screaming at me whenever I enter the coop (& spending most of the day in HER nest box), she refused to go up to the roost today. This time, I'm not wasting a moment. After dark, I moved her to a large crate with a cardboard box nest & slid some eggs under her. So far, she staying on those eggs.

Last time I spent the first 1-2 weeks trying to break her before coming around. She showed me & changed her mind just as I gave in to her broodiness. Has anyone ever had a "Boomerang Broody"? She's either going to be a broody queen & mother everything she sees...... or just a royal pain in the butt.

This was taken last week when Cookie starting thinking about it. Back then she was spending 4-8 hrs per day in the nest but still laying eggs & sleeping on the roost. In the beginning she was grumbly at everything, but a few days ago it changed to all out screaming.

I have bantam orps in the incubator now....they will be on day 17 tomorrow. I know this has probably been asked a million times, and I am sorry if I am being annoying but....should I lock down tomorrow instead of day 18? I am so tired from my first batch of eggs ever, hatching for the last two days, I think I have slept 4 hours in two days. Thinking I had a couple of days before I do it all over again, a friend mentioned bantams go into lock down earlier
th.gif
Day 18 is fine for lockdown.

It took me a number of years to get over that. I think it's been only two years since I hovered over the hatching chicks. Makes a body very very tired.
I had problems with the cheap LG I got at TSC, the thermostat went berserk on lock down day, we also had two power outages for the first time in two years. With all that going on, I wasn't very hopeful. I moved them to my HovoBator, and woke up to pipping and rocking this morning, yay!

Cookie's at it again!!!!

After a few days of screaming at me whenever I enter the coop (& spending most of the day in HER nest box), she refused to go up to the roost today. This time, I'm not wasting a moment. After dark, I moved her to a large crate with a cardboard box nest & slid some eggs under her. So far, she staying on those eggs.

Last time I spent the first 1-2 weeks trying to break her before coming around. She showed me & changed her mind just as I gave in to her broodiness. Has anyone ever had a "Boomerang Broody"? She's either going to be a broody queen & mother everything she sees...... or just a royal pain in the butt.

This was taken last week when Cookie starting thinking about it. Back then she was spending 4-8 hrs per day in the nest but still laying eggs & sleeping on the roost. In the beginning she was grumbly at everything, but a few days ago it changed to all out screaming.

Is Cookie still sticking with it? I hope so, it will be interesting to see what kind of momma she will be.

Can bantam orps come in all the same colors as std orps? Just curious because I am suppose to pick up a lavender and a splash orp this weekend and she said they are bantams? I am kinda new to the whole a chicken thing but love the 6 buff orps I have now! So either way I will love the new colors :)

Back
Top Bottom