The BANTAM ORPINGTON Thread

My sleep deprived brain...

... Also, if we ever move, we can dig up some of the...
ep.gif
sickbyc.gif
fl.gif
sad.png
... plants
roll.png
hide.gif
gig.gif

My sleep deprived brain...

... Also, if we ever move, we can dig up some of the...  :eek: ... :sick    ...   :fl  ... :(  ...  plants :rolleyes:     :oops:    :gig  

New momma with a newborn 3 week premie son here... I read it that way too lmbo!!!!

Last edited:
Oh.That's so rough! I am sorry for your loss, and I know she packed a lot of happy memories into her short little life.
I think it's nice to remember our favorite pets in a positive way. When we lose a pet, we have a simple backyard burial in our perennial garden. Each pet gets its own flower that reflects his/her personality. The kids may write a poem, draw a pic, sing a song, etc. to add. Also, if we ever move, we can dig up some of the plants.

Thank you so much! That is a lovely idea to plant a flower in her honor. Now to figure out what would be appropriate for our little sweetie pie. She was such sweet and gentle little thing. Maybe a tea rose???

How are Cookie and her brood doing?

Hi Peanutsmomma
Hope you're doing well.
I wanted to give you the weekly Cookie update.

Cookie & the chicks have been living in the dog crate (inside the run) for over 2.5 weeks. After a week, I'd open the cage each day while I did the daily routines. In the beginning there was a lot of pecking & cuts on the comb. Little Cookie wasn't backing down! At times I had to separate violent or unfair attacks, but I tried to allow them to "work it out." The last few days, I had the dog crate's door open for hours at a time w/o my constant presence. Then 24 hrs!!!! When it came to bedtime, Cookie & the chicks went into a nestbox instead of the dog crate last night. This morning everyone was acting "normal. I removed the dog crate but kept the chick feeder & low hanging waterer in the same area. There are a few little nooks the little ones can run to. I'm just so excited to see Cookie excel as a mommy. Once she realized that she didn't have to fight every hen in the coop, life got easier for her. It's not like Cookie was ever the top hen. She's a bantam, for goodness sake. The other hens just viewed her as harmless or not worth the effort. Cookie was the one who viewed herself as queen by sleeping ABOVE the other chickens. (She's the only one small enough to roost in the window sill & hog the cool summer breezes. LOL)

Hi Peanutsmomma
Hope you're doing well.
I wanted to give you the weekly Cookie update.

Cookie & the chicks have been living in the dog crate (inside the run) for over 2.5 weeks. After a week, I'd open the cage each day while I did the daily routines. In the beginning there was a lot of pecking & cuts on the comb. Little Cookie wasn't backing down! At times I had to separate violent or unfair attacks, but I tried to allow them to "work it out." The last few days, I had the dog crate's door open for hours at a time w/o my constant presence. Then 24 hrs!!!! When it came to bedtime, Cookie & the chicks went into a nestbox instead of the dog crate last night. This morning everyone was acting "normal. I removed the dog crate but kept the chick feeder & low hanging waterer in the same area. There are a few little nooks the little ones can run to. I'm just so excited to see Cookie excel as a mommy. Once she realized that she didn't have to fight every hen in the coop, life got easier for her. It's not like Cookie was ever the top hen. She's a bantam, for goodness sake. The other hens just viewed her as harmless or not worth the effort. Cookie was the one who viewed herself as queen by sleeping ABOVE the other chickens. (She's the only one small enough to roost in the window sill & hog the cool summer breezes. LOL)

Thanks for the Cookie update! You absolutely made my morning. Gosh, it won't be long before the chicks are bigger than the Cookie Monster.
smile.png

Thanks for the Cookie update! You absolutely made my morning. Gosh, it won't be long before the chicks are bigger than the Cookie Monster.
smile.png

Yes sooner than you think! Just went outside & took these pics. They're 3.5 weeks old.
Cookie hatched 3 Bielefelder (2 are female) & 4 English Orpingtons.

The broody's bunch have claimed this corner of the center run. The hanging feeder & waterer are theirs. The treadle feeder is for the layers. I think I'll be using only chick feed by next week. I have a dish for extra oyster shell, so I think it's safer feeding everyone chick feed than trying to keep fast growing chicks out of the layer feed.

You might have to be careful about the treadle feeder with the chicks. If it's open because someone is eating, they may jump in and then become trapped. Something to watch for.
Thanks for the heads up. For now they're afraid when it opens & closes. I'll probably be moving it out of the run as soon as the hens polish off the remaining layer feed.

smile.png

Yes sooner than you think! Just went outside & took these pics. They're 3.5 weeks old.
Cookie hatched 3 Bielefelder (2 are female) & 4 English Orpingtons.

The broody's bunch have claimed this corner of the center run. The hanging feeder & waterer are theirs. The treadle feeder is for the layers. I think I'll be using only chick feed by next week. I have a dish for extra oyster shell, so I think it's safer feeding everyone chick feed than trying to keep fast growing chicks out of the layer feed.

Thanks for posting the pics. No matter how big her chicks get she will always be their Momma. I can just see her telling one that is getting out of line, "I brought you into this world, I can take you out." LOL!! Cookie is so beautiful. Has she regained any weight she lost while she was sitting?

If anyone is interested, I have this lovely guy for sale! Can ship, VT NPIP-16. $10 plus shipping. He is good with the girls, and very respectful of people! Just trying to slim down the flock.

Back
Top Bottom