The BANTAM ORPINGTON Thread

Maybe they aren't consuming enough grit? You said they are pets, depending on how you have them set up they might not be getting enough. I'd make sure the veg & plant material they're getting is chopped up finely if you are concerned. They could be picky about the full sized grit too, maybe offer them some chick grit? Are they getting pelleted food or crumbles? I could see a Bantam of any breed been a dork and over consuming pelleted feed.
Thanks for that, they do roam the garden in the day, but I will get them some different-sized grit. They get pellets, but only about a golf-ball-sized portion each because they get grossly obese otherwise..

Has anyone noticed a prevalence of crop problems in their bantam orps? Or is that a general phenomenon? I lost 2 chooks to crop issues, one a normal mix breed and one a young bantam orp. Now I check everyone's crop every morning like a hawk (only have 2 bantam orps now which are pets). They often seem to have issues clearing the crop overnight, and sometimes for a few days. Or am I just overfeeding them? They get a lot of veg and plant material to keep their weight down..
Anyone with experiences in this regard? I'd really appreciate any input.
Thanks
If they're getting a lot fiber in their diet, that can definitely cause crop issues... depending on how long and tough the fibers are.

Why are you so concerned about their weight and them getting obese? If they are getting exercise they will be working off the calories they consume. Have you felt those little tiny bodies underneath all those feathers? Or are these pet chickens, HOUSE chickens that have their movements restricted? I would suggest letting them be chickens and give them plenty of room to run around if you're worried about weight. Have you weighed them? What makes you think they get grossly overweight?

If they're getting a lot fiber in their diet, that can definitely cause crop issues... depending on how long and tough the fibers are.

Why are you so concerned about their weight and them getting obese? If they are getting exercise they will be working off the calories they consume. Have you felt those little tiny bodies underneath all those feathers? Or are these pet chickens, HOUSE chickens that have their movements restricted? I would suggest letting them be chickens and give them plenty of room to run around if you're worried about weight. Have you weighed them? What makes you think they get grossly overweight?
Hey Lacy Blues,
Thanks so much for the reply.. They are free to roam the garden as much as they like and are out there during the day when I am at work, so they do walk around and forage etc. They just hang out with me inside when I am home and sleep inside. The weight problem is real, I took the one to the vet when she was about 9 months old and she was grossly obese, about 1.8kg where she should be 1.1kg. She's since been on diet and is down to somewhere between 1.1 and 1.3 at times. This means she can't eat any laying pellets, but only gets about a golfball sized amount of waterfowl pellets each day (as recommended by vet). Because I feel sorry for them being bored and getting vitamins, etc I give them non-fattening veggies like tomato, broccoli, cauliflower and lettuce, and sometimes grated carrot. I think now that you talk about excessive fibre, that might actually be the problem...
Interestingly enough, my second girl doesn't get fat, so she gets fed more, separately.

Last edited:
my vet, who is a specialized bird vet said 1.1 kg, but I guess it depends on the strain..

Ours are overweight then!!
big_smile.png

Or if you live in the U.S. and/or have difficulty with the metric system:

Cock: 38 oz (2 lb, 6 oz)
Cockerel: 34 oz (2 lb, 2 oz)

Hen: 34 oz (2 lb, 2oz)
Pullet: 30 oz (1 lb, 14 oz)

ETA: Without using some sort of digital scale that is intended for small weights (postage scale) don't assume your birds are either over or underweight. Find out, then if you feel you need to make changes to their diets or whatever, at least you haven't incorrectly guessed their weight and do more harm than good.

Last edited:
Or if you live in the U.S. and/or have difficulty with the metric system:

Cock: 38 oz (2 lb, 6 oz)
Cockerel: 34 oz (2 lb, 2 oz)

Hen: 34 oz (2 lb, 2oz)
Pullet: 30 oz (1 lb, 14 oz)

ETA: Without using some sort of digital scale that is intended for small weights (postage scale) don't assume your birds are either over or underweight. Find out, then if you feel you need to make changes to their diets or whatever, at least you haven't incorrectly guessed their weight and do more harm than good.
I agree. I use a digital kitchen scale. I have lost a chicken to fatty liver syndrome and general ill health due to her obesity. It really is bad for them to be fat, so rather check regularly and make sure!

Back
Top Bottom