The BANTAM ORPINGTON Thread

Pics
Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif

You will have to keep me posted. Come on babies!!!
jumpy.gif

I think I am going to get ready to pair the splash rooster back up with the hen that created this beautiful blue pullet and see if I can create a few more. She is just a round fluff ball.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Mine are larger than silkie eggs but not by much. I would say they are about the size of an orpington egg when a pullet just begins to lay.

Quote:
Mine all lay a nice medium size egg. I personally think they are a good size for bantams. I recently compared them to bantam cochin eggs and I think my girls eggs are a tad bigger. Hope that helps?
smile.png

Quote:
Mine all lay a nice medium size egg. I personally think they are a good size for bantams. I recently compared them to bantam cochin eggs and I think my girls eggs are a tad bigger. Hope that helps?
smile.png

I also almost said: They are the size of cochin eggs but I thought people might think I was crazy
hide.gif
Now two of us are on that boat
celebrate.gif

Our Buff Orpington Bantams average about 1.4 oz per egg. I weighed 3 eggs and they weighed 4.2 oz. In diameter, they are larger than our Wyandotte Bantams and Buckeye Bantams. But with any chicken, each hen's eggs will vary in size. Age also is a factor.

ETA: We have a Black Cochin Bantam hen and our Orpingtons eggs are larger than the Cochins.

Last edited:
Okay, I have questions as a relative newbie and total novice....
smile.png

1) Are there NO banty orps in California, particularly N California? Am I all alone? (snif)

(Actually I know of one other just north of me--we're working a trade soon I hope YAY but...where'z everybody else?)

2) What happens when you bring buff into a black/blue/lav splash flock? Yes, I have (had--gods I hope not, she's my only one) a lavender splash hen.

3) I got my flock from someone who got them from a known showman (no name, sorry!) who had to go out and gave my friend the flock. Mine are the remnants after a bobcat started snacking.
sad.png

4) Am I correct in thinking that black-black will only give me blacks? Black/blue?

Many thanks for humoring a newcomer...!
PA

Back
Top Bottom