The Battle of the Feeds

Jungleexplorer

Crowing
11 Years
Jan 19, 2012
Abilene, Texas
My Coop
My Coop
I have fed my birds mostly Nutrena Layer for the last several years and on occasion Dumor Layer. Recently I had a conversation with a local egg producer that told me about a "Superior" feed brand (Bluebonnet) that will improve my birds egg production and feather quality. She said that I would see a noticeable improvement. Tonight I was comparing the feeds and I really don't know enough to determine if one is better then the other. I thought I would post the data for each and see what some experts might have to say.

Layer Feed by Brand

PURINA

NUTRENA

DUMOR

BLUBONNETT

CRUDE PROTIEN

16%

16%

16%

16%
LYSINE

0.55%

0.7%

0.7%

METHIONINE

0.25%

0.3%

0.35%

0.3%
CRUDE FAT

2.5%

2.5%

2.5%

2.5%
CRUDE FIBER

7%

8%

7%

6.9%
CALCIUM

3.25%

3.4%

3.8%

4%
PHOSPHORUS

0.5%

0.45%

0.5%

0.65%
SALT

0.3%

0.25%

0.25%

0.25%
MAGANESE

175 PPM

N/A

N/A

120 PPM
SODIUM

N/A

0.15%

0.1%

N/A
VITAMIN A

3000 IU/LB

N/A

N/A

4000 IU/LB
VITAMIN D

N/A

N/A

N/A

1,369 IU/LB
VITAMIN E

10 IU/LB

N/A

N/A

30 IU/LB
ZINC

N/A

N/A

N/A

130 PPM
MAGNESIUM

N/A

N/A

N/A

120 PPM
COPPER

N/A

N/A

N/A

12 PPM
MENADIONE

N/A

N/A

N/A

1.5 mg/lb
d-Pantothenic Acid

N/A

N/A

N/A

5.40 mg/lb
Thiamine

N/A

N/A

N/A

1.1 mg/lb
Niacin

N/A

N/A

N/A

20 mg/lb
Choline

N/A

N/A

N/A

250 mg/lb
Riboflavin

N/A

N/A

N/A

2.40 mg/lb
Biotin

N/A

N/A

N/A

0.055 mg/lb
Folic Acid

N/A

N/A

N/A

0.50 mg/lb

While the analysis tag for Purina, Nutrena and Dumor did not list many of the nutrients in the Bluebonnet tag, the ingredients list on the tags indicated that they also include some or all of the nutrients as the Bluebonnet feed does. These ingredient list are too long to list for each one but here are their base ingredients.

Purina: Grain products, processed grain by-products and plant protein products.

Nutrena: Grain products, protein plant products and processed grain by-products.

Dumor: Ground corn, wheat middlings, dehulled soybean meal, corn glutin feed, cane molasses.

Bluebonnet: Soybean Meal, Corn, Wheat Midds, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Corn Gluten Meal, Fish Meal, Soybean Oil, Dried Kelp Meal, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Rice Hulls.

What do you think? It seems that Bluebonnet might have more in it, but then again they just might have a more detailed tag. I don't know how much it cost per bag yet. I will have to wait until Monday to call the dealer. If it is not too much more then Nutrena, I might try it for a while and see.

Last edited:
The tough part of all this information is knowing what part of it matters. Most of the time we are caught between anecdotal information from others and the information provided by the manufacturer.

I feed my chickens Dumor, but they forage widely all day. I really don't know what they eat besides the feed. What is the nutritional component of bugs, weeds, grass, and kitchen clippings?

It can be hard to make sense of all of this at times.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom