The Best Black Copper Marans, Who has them?

Was reading and thought I would post....
The 7 dark eggs are from 3 sources - I have 7 Marans Pullets - 2 Splash and 5 Black Coppers. The Splash Marans are from Blue Water Ranch and I love them. I also have 2 Black Coppers from Wynette and 3 from Fancy Chicks and am very happy with them. I've had chicks from Marquisella also that I bought directly from her at Springfield last year that were really nice and I'd purchase those again if the need came up. Curtis knows his stuff so his birds would be a good buy also.

Hi there,
As the owner of Lancaster Fancy Fowl and after studying the Marans breed for a couple years now, pretty much since they first became popular, I would like to weight in on this discussion. So I would like to talk about the LP Marans, which we have recently started breeding and working with. I must say, I'm very impressed with this line and if you are looking for a good BCM specimen, these are really the original examples of the breed, all other lines have been established in the USA for quiet some time and have lost the pure connection to the original French BCM from whence they were derived. The LPs were gifted to Brenda Little by the French Marans club and she acquired the very finest of French stock (the original breed). Since then she has been maintaining their purity and breeding them right here in the US. Now if they are not the LPs, they are not truly the French Marans, but an Americanized version. That's simply my opinion.

So what may you find in the American WJ, BD, CH, lines? You may find the following common defects associated with the breed: poor egg color, white feather leakage, straw hackles instead of the true copper, and incorrect body type. However, because the LPs are so pure and recently imported from France, these defects are virtually non-existent and as a result the LPs stand out as a superb example of the true BCM. I hope this helps anyone who may have questions regarding the best bloodline of LPs currently available in the US. You can visit our website: lancasterfancyfowl.com to learn more.
Thanks & God bless,
John A.

When I read your opinion I couldn't help but think of it as a sales pitch in an effort to lure others to your site which is ok. What I don't like is negativity towards Marans breeders in the US as simply breeding "Americanized Marans" and I find this statement quite bogus. I have a question: Where did the "US Marans" come from? Remember that all Marans were originally Cuckoo. The French version therefore is just as pure as the US version IMO. The LP Marans bring much needed new blood to the US and I'm certain the French would benefit from the US as well. With that being said I will inform you that a lot of my stock ends up going to Canada. The eggs get shipped to a PO box, paid for by Canadians, in the Northern states and then picked up and taken across the border.

As far as defects go one of my LP Marans has clean "English version" legs. According to you they are free of defects. Simply not true. I hate to burst your bubble.

Last edited:
I agree Cowman1970. A sales pitch I suppose.

Ive only been in chickens for 3 or so years. But I am not new to breeding. Any line of whatever your breeding has faults. As a breeder you strive to breed the best but have no control over genetics. I think there are some really good breeders of marans in the US and its a collaboration of ALL these breeders to bring forth good stock.

More than just a dark egg color which too many people are stuck on is trying to find a line of marans that will lay a consistent 5 or 6 dark egg, be of good type and good layer. A occasional super dark egg layer, to me, isn't a productive bird and makes it hard to keep. I would find it hard to believe that the French kept around the poor layers just for an occasional dark egg.

If anyone has lines like what I am looking for, please pm me.

LP eggs are nice but the price of the eggs.....................

I got my Blue Splash Maran Eggs from Blue Water Ranch last year. I was very happy with her eggs and the packaging was excellent. I have hatched from them once this year. I gave my hens 14 eggs to sit and came up with 11 chicks. 2 more would've lived but she got off the nest to take care of the other chicks that were earlier and the other 2 got cold and died. I'm thinking about getting some of her Black Copper Marans too.

Back
Top Bottom