The Best Black Copper Marans, Who has them?

I got my Blue Splash Maran Eggs from Blue Water Ranch last year. I was very happy with her eggs and the packaging was excellent. I have hatched from them once this year. I gave my hens 14 eggs to sit and came up with 11 chicks. 2 more would've lived but she got off the nest to take care of the other chicks that were earlier and the other 2 got cold and died. I'm thinking about getting some of her Black Copper Marans too.

I went ahead and got some Black Copper Marans hatching eggs from Blue Water Ranch and some more from My Highland Pride out of Mississippi. I also ordered some more Blue Splash from Blue Water Ranch, since I've had good luck with hers. I'm on day 11 on the first hatching in one incubator and I candled the eggs. I received 12 BCM eggs from Blue Water and 11 of them were good at day 10. I'm anxious to see them. I hope I can determine roo and hen out of the chicks when they start to feather. I want to keep a roo and 3 hens then sell the rest.

Thanks for letting me know. I've had a horrible time over the past year with chicken people. Most are fraudulent and could care less. But some do and give me hope. I have a friend who raises wonderful marans but is moving out of state. She is taking her birds with her so once she gets set up, you really should try her. She is a bit pricy but been in the breed for several years and really knows her birds. And they are healthy.

I bought silkies from a breeder only to have all 18 either die or I had to cull due to what the state Vet thought was avain encephalomyelitis. It was a heart breaking experience to say the least and costly. Breeder response was pretty much "Tough Luck"

I just culled my last two birds most likely having MG. Bought as chicks. No other birds were sick. Such sweet birds but sickly all the time.

I hatch a lot of eggs so I'm not giving up on finding TRUE breeders who care about their birds AND the customer. I've turned over a lot of stones to find my maran friend. They are few and far between.

Barb

Last edited:
I don't know about solid marans from Blue Water ranch but the splash are less than breeder quality. Same maran friend bought some eggs. The roos she has up for sale now. They are ugly birds. The pullets I haven't seen lately. The last time I saw them, I wasn't impressed. Certainly not show quality imo as stated on her ebay posting.

Does anyone have any information on where to purchase black copper maran pullets? I live in Wisconsin, and I am having a hard time finding them here, or online.

Back
Top Bottom