The Big Fat Is This A Rooster? Thread

May i join in? I've got one questionable chick, Richard Sherman. Sold as sexed pullet, Black Copper Marans. Currently 4 weeks old. Comb is largest of the bunch but not red, no attempts at crowing and the tail feathers grew in at the same rate as the other chicks. However, the bossy attitude, large size (biggest chick in mixed flock), chunky legs and chest bumping is making me wonder.

Here's Twelve for reference, she's sex-linked so there's no doubt there

And here's the chick in question, Sherman:

Any thoughts? Thanks for your time and expertise!

May i join in? I've got one questionable chick, Richard Sherman. Sold as sexed pullet, Black Copper Marans. Currently 4 weeks old. Comb is largest of the bunch but not red, no attempts at crowing and the tail feathers grew in at the same rate as the other chicks. However, the bossy attitude, large size (biggest chick in mixed flock), chunky legs and chest bumping is making me wonder.

Here's Twelve for reference, she's sex-linked so there's no doubt there

And here's the chick in question, Sherman:

Any thoughts? Thanks for your time and expertise!
That's a pretty good sized comb & very defined comb points. If it was mine I would be inclined to think roo. On the attitude issue its hard to say, I had 2 BCM hens and they were the bossiest hens I've ever had, they got rehomed. Maybe someone with a little more experience will pipe in. Good luck!
263a.png

Thanks! I posted the pics on the marans thread, it sounds like the breed in general can be early bloomers. With the comb and the 'tude I think "rooster", but then again someone has to be the biggest hen in the flock, right? I know time will tell but the urge to ask for input was just irresistible.

Thanks! I posted the pics on the marans thread, it sounds like the breed in general can be early bloomers. With the comb and the 'tude I think "rooster", but then again someone has to be the biggest hen in the flock, right? I know time will tell but the urge to ask for input was just irresistible.
Hope you end up with a pullet
1f604.png

Thanks. Two of the Marans gurus think she's a he, it's not looking all that encouraging but I'll keep my hopes up and see how the little guy does in the next few weeks. What a personality! It would be a shame if he had to go. Poor Sherman.

Hello everyone

I posted here back on the 17 January this year with my five 4 week olds. I just wanted to give an update to those who so generously gave me your opinions (and the people like me who stalk in the background learning).

I couldn't take it anymore I had to know for sure so I had a DNA test done (in Australia it cost me AUD$17.90) and the results are the Light Sussex is indeed a Roo. Thank you again for replying and I enjoy watching this thread and learning how to pick a boy. I really love it when you all explain what you're looking at, it has helped me a lot. Sadly he's going to a new home as the council would never allow us to keep him. The farm was less than helpful when I mentioned it was a Roo after being given reassurances it was indeed a pullet. oh well that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Thanks again TTFN

Back
Top Bottom