The Big Fat Is This A Rooster? Thread

They all look like pullets to me, the only one I'm unsure on is the speckled sussex.
smile.png
Thank you. I appreciate you having a look for me.

Any guesses of sex of the this one? It's 6.5 weeks old.
I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I would agree with XxMingirlxX that you have a Roo there comparing to my girl and what I have seen on the internet. I still am learning so maybe one of the experts can give a better response. :)

I couldn't get the silver laced chicks to hold still, but I have a Rhode island red I'm also very suspicious of. It's about 2.5-3 weeks old. Here's some pics: Chick in question: Another chick for comparison, same breed/age:
I'm thinking girl but I haven't raised RIR so it's hard to know what look for. I think you would have to wait a few more weeks before making a accurate decision.

I'm thinking girl but I haven't raised RIR so it's hard to know what look for. I think you would have to wait a few more weeks before making a accurate decision.

I've never raised chickens at all before! :D so this is all very new to me. I got all mine 'straight run's so I know there's no way I'm lucky enough to get all girls, I'm just watching them and trying to find the differences. This chick is the biggest, has the most upright posture, and the most noticeable comb so far. I'll start taking more pictures as they grow.

These are my 10 week old suspect cockerels! They are not pure Barred Rock, but were bred from a Barred Rock rooster over a North Holland hen. Do you think they're all boys?

Chook 1

Chook 2

Chook 3

Trying to sex these two Barred Rocks have started my own thread but thought I would try here

This one is ambiguous more dominant grown faster had a comb earlier but still not a bid one and small waddles, he/she also chirps differently now but am not certain it's not due to a slight age difference they are both 17 weeks

This is the other I am fairly sure is a hen

First one again

Second one again this is the way she squats everywhere but they both squat together on the grass

These are my 10 week old suspect cockerels! They are not pure Barred Rock, but were bred from a Barred Rock rooster over a North Holland hen. Do you think they're all boys? Chook 1 Chook 2 Chook 3
It's hard to really tell what their combs look like from the angle of those pictures but I would say by their barring they do look like roos to me. But they don't appear to have very much of a comb or wattles nor do they appear red so it's hard to say with 100% certainty. Here is my barred rock mix, he started crowing at 12 weeks. Here he is at about 10 weeks.
here he is at 12 weeks, the day I caught him crowing. See how red his comb and wattles are.

Trying to sex these two Barred Rocks have started my own thread but thought I would try here

This one is ambiguous more dominant grown faster had a comb earlier but still not a bid one and small waddles, he/she also chirps differently now but am not certain it's not due to a slight age difference they are both 17 weeks

This is the other I am fairly sure is a hen

First one again

Second one again this is the way she squats everywhere but they both squat together on the grass
based on their darker color and the small comb and wattles at 17 weeks I would be inclined to say they are pullets that are not too far from laying you a lovely egg. I'm not an expert though but that would be my guess. When you go up to them and put your hand over their backs do they squat down for you? If they do then I would definitely think they are pullets.

based on their darker color and the small comb and wattles at 17 weeks I would be inclined to say they are pullets that are not too far from laying you a lovely egg. I'm not an expert though but that would be my guess. When you go up to them and put your hand over their backs do they squat down for you? If they do then I would definitely think they are pullets.
Number 2 squats always does number 1 takes sometimes 2 goes and doesn't seem to squat as low. Do roosters squat at all?

Back
Top Bottom