The Big Fat Is This A Rooster? Thread

Hey y'all!!! This is my 18 week old Buff orpington "dolly" think we need a name change? Tell me the verdict! Roo or Hen?? If it is a he I'll have to get a no crow collar. Sweetest thing ever! Let me know if you need any more pics :)

It's hard to tell from the photos because you can't use the comb as an indication because at this point both would be bright red.
Can you see hackle feathers - these are feathers on the neck that are pointy instead of rounded
Can you see saddle feathers, again these are pointy.
What position is this bird in the pecking order?
When you try to pick the bird up does it squat?

They are french black copper marans around 6 weeks old and the one with the most color on its face is around 4 and a half weeks old. Thanks so much for any thoughts. :)

I'm so sad any of them are roosters! :( Here's another picture of the third one. They are so sweet it breaks my heart they have to go. :(

Hello all,
My first ever chicks are 5.5 weeks old and I am worried about my Speckled Sussex because their combs are larger than those of any of my other chicks except for one Partridge Plymouth Rock that also has other sign of being a cockerel (larger than the other two chicks of his breed, developing red waddles). These were all supposed to be pullets. Here are some pictures of the two Sussex:

I can't tell anything based on behavior since these are the only ones of this breed I have and they both act the same. They are more active and a little less friendly than my other six chicks, which is probably not surprising since the other ones are such calm, friendly breeds (BO and PPR).

I am just learning about all of this so am not sure if the difference in comb size is something to be expected between pullets of different breeds, of if these SS might be cockerels. For what it is worth, the feet of the SS are about the same thickness as those of my BO and PPR that appear to be pullets but not as thick as those of the suspected PPR roo.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Pullet or roo?
so I posted this a few days ago and also said this chicken was 14 weeks old but I just recounted and it's actually only 13 weeks. Here are some updated pics. I'm like 98% sure it's a roo but it hasn't crowed. Just want to get some opinions before I line up a buyer for him.

so I posted this a few days ago and also said this chicken was 14 weeks old but I just recounted and it's actually only 13 weeks. Here are some updated pics. I'm like 98% sure it's a roo but it hasn't crowed. Just want to get some opinions before I line up a buyer for him.

I'd bet my last dollar that is a cockerel. Sickle and saddle feathers everywhere. Sorry
sad.png

- Krista

I'm so sad any of them are roosters!
sad.png
Here's another picture of the third one. They are so sweet it breaks my heart they have to go.
sad.png

That's some pretty significant wattle development for one so young.

If pushed for a guess, I'd say cockerel. Sorry.

I hope I'm wrong for your sake.....

- Krista

I'd bet my last dollar that is a cockerel.  Sickle and saddle feathers everywhere.  Sorry  :(

- Krista
haha, you don't have to be sorry. It stinks because I really wanted a white silkie and his coloring is so awesome but I've had him pegged for a roo for a LONG time now. I think I'm 2 for 2 on guessing which of mine have been roos early on even when people have thought pullet. Maybe next time I'll get a white silkie pullet!

haha, you don't have to be sorry. It stinks because I really wanted a white silkie and his coloring is so awesome but I've had him pegged for a roo for a LONG time now. I think I'm 2 for 2 on guessing which of mine have been roos early on even when people have thought pullet. Maybe next time I'll get a white silkie pullet!

As soon as I saw the swooping tail I thought "Uh oh!" To be fair, I've never owned a silkie before, so I'm not heaps experienced with sexing them, but that tail - lol! You just can't get past it
smile.png

Good luck for next time.

- Krista

Back
Top Bottom