The Big Fat Is This A Rooster? Thread

Hi, I have my first flock of chicks and am hoping to get some guesses if this is a hen or rooster. 3.5 week old Buff Orpington. Thanks! :)
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
It looks like a Pullet, do you have any other BOs to compare it to? What is its behaviour like? :)

I have a total of 6 BO in my flock and this is one of the bigger ones, but since they are still so young (3.5 weeks) I am not noticing a lot of differences. It is also very friendly. Will always run up to me to be held and shows no fear of the dog where the other chicks run away.

[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
[/IMG][/IMG]
Hello I have 3 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. They are between 6-8 wks old I think sorta forgot when they hatched. Can you tell yet what sex they are? The comb looks the same to me. Just now starting to pink up. No wattles either.

I have a chick I am thinking ia a Roo actually 2 of them. From what I am reading even the slightest bit of pinkness at this age, 4wks, could be a tell that these chicks are Roos.

The 1st one is a EE?/ barnyard mix, s/he started out with chipmunk colouration, and came from the heavy breed straight run bin at Runnings.

2 days4 weeks

I noticed yesterday there was a pink cast to the comb area and the single row has now split into 3 separate rows.

This chick has been rather assertive since the beginning. S/he weighs more than the other chicks, is bigger, taller, heavier thicker legs. However, since I have different kinds of chicks there are no others to compare it to.

The second chick I purchased as a Marans pullet at Chickenstock however, I also notice pink on this comb. This chicken is the only chick that stands up to and is aggressive with the above chick. Additionally, S/he has very little in the way of a tail, it has a very rounded bottom. This chick is suppose to be 4-ish weeks.

Thank you for any help in identifying these chicks. I hope you all have a great day.

Alissa

Last edited:
Tough one... definitely need more time to be sure. I'm going to guess top one pullet and bottom roo. Although it sounds like the top one sure is acting rooish.

Back
Top Bottom