The Big Fat Is This A Rooster? Thread

I assume these are D'Uccles. I bought them from the same bantam bin I got my barred cochins from so they are the same age but much smaller. I was hoping they would be cochins... but no such luck it seems. I brought them in because the white one now has a gimpy foot. No sign of a slipped tendon, and it wasn't this way as a chick, so I assume it broke it's foot when all 24 chicks moved out to the chick pen in the backyard. The white one has been chest bumping and tussling with one of our white silkie babies. The silkie is about 5 weeks and the D'Uccle is 6 weeks. I have noticed the white one has a little more pink to the comb and it's a little bigger than the comb on the light peach colored one. Could the white silkie and white D'Uccle be little cockerals trying to decide who's going to be on top? They were all together in the pen outside but I brought the silkies inside this past weekend because the other chicks were getting so much bigger than them. So they just got reintroduced to each other last night.

D'Uccles do tend to mature quickly. However, that comb isn't quite pink enough for me to say it's a cockerel for sure. The behavior you are seeing is common of chicks at that age, regardless of gender. It's pecking order related, not hormone related.

[/IMG]
This is my slw Noel who I bought as a pullet, she is almost 3 weeks and I notice a redness to her comb and wattles. Is she indeed a pullet or a roo?

Back
Top Bottom