The Big Fat Is This A Rooster? Thread

Roo
sad.png
He will be a pretty roo. :)

Pink and Yellow are the same size and yellow is not getting any shiney feathers like orange and Green are. Do pullets ever have giant combs like yellow has?

Pink and Yellow are the same size and yellow is not getting any shiney feathers like orange and Green are. Do pullets ever have giant combs like yellow has?
Not at 9 weeks old. Pullets don't start to pink up in the comb until they are getting close to laying eggs. For Orpingtons, that isn't until about 6 months or older. A 9 week old bird is still 3 to 4 months away, at best, from being mature enough for egg production.

Rooster. It is the whiteness of the barring which is the "rooster sign" with BRs. Notice your pullets are much darker. Also, roosters that are BR tend to have orange legs instead of the black tinted ones that females have although it can go either way, unlike the brighter barring. The whiter barring is a rooster trait and the darker barring is a pullet trait. Anyways, he's a rooster. Handle him as much as possible. My BR roo turned out to be SO friendly. I handled him a lot as a chick. I could carry him around all day if I wanted :lol:
Is lighter coloring true for dominique's too? I have one significantly lighter than the others and likes to hang with the big(ger) chicks.

I posted pics of my chicks before wondering if one of them is a rooster. Here is the chick I'm still questioning at 4 weeks old. It is still more downy than the other two and it's feathers are coming in differently as well. What do you think!

I posted pics of my chicks before wondering if one of them is a rooster. Here is the chick I'm still questioning at 4 weeks old. It is still more downy than the other two and it's feathers are coming in differently as well. What do you think!

To young to say for sure but I'm leaning towards cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom