The Blues Brothers???

Wise Woman

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 12, 2011
My Cottage
Ooppps! I put this in the wrong place. If the mods want to move it, I would appreciate it. So sorry.

Hi everyone. I posted about these two a few weeks ago. I thought I was buying 2 Blue Copper Marans hens, however, they are really either Easter Eggers or Olive Eggers. We are positive that Emma is really Ernie! He is proudly telling us each and every morning now. The problem is the other chicken. I thought she was a hen, but I was told she too is a roo, however, while she/he looks very similar to Ernie, there has not been one attempt at crowing. They look almost identical except for the feathering on their legs. Ernie has none and Charlotte/Charlie has a little bit. I keep holding out hope she is a girl, but I am losing the faith. I just wonder why she/he isn't attempting to crow. They are about 3 1/2 months old now.

Ernie is on the right an Charlotte/Charlie is on the left. They are best buddies and still want me to hold them. They are in with the big hens now and while they aren't getting picked on per say, the hens don't like them and they keep their distance from them. My hens are not the least bit impressed by either of these new intruders.

IMG_3334.jpg

Here is a side view. Again, Ernie is on the right and Charlotte/Charlie is on the left.

IMG_3335.jpg

Here they are having a snooze. Ernie is the one in the back. They are very sweet chickens.

IMG_3340.jpg

Here are a few of Charlotte/Charlie. Any educated guess would be most appreciated. Even though they are beautiful, I cannot keep roosters and they will have to be re-homed or go back to the breeder. I paid for hens and want hens.

IMG_3327.jpg

IMG_3326.jpg

IMG_3316.jpg

She/he is on the left in this picture.
IMG_3322.jpg

I am guessing roo, but keep holding out hope she is a hen as I think they are just beautiful and she/he hasn't crowed yet. These pictures do not do them justice. Thanks for your opinions. I appreciate the help.

Last edited:
The one doing most of the crowing is dominant, so the other one doesn't do it, or hasn't tried.

Another giveaway are the long flowy saddle feathers. And their tails are getting long and curling down too, a roo tail.

I agree, both roos. They are also, like you said, EEs or OEs, not Marans. The coloring too is off. They are Blue Birchen that also carry the gold gene. They were probably made with a Blue Copper Marans roo, so they are half Marans anyway. As for the lack of crowing, it could be he is intimidated by the other roo, but here at my farm, every roo sings their song...all day long, and that includes every boy from 9 weeks to 11 months, and they all run together. Some are just slower than others.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom