THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

Great news! Now you gotta go back to all those panic post from the weekend and do Brinsea reputation damage control!!
lau.gif

I'm kidding!! I'm kidding!!!

Oh - I did!!! All I had to go on was what they had posted on their website - I absolutely went back and let everyone know they rock... Now for attempt #2 to incubate eggs.

Can I give my dog the old eggs that were in the incubator for 48 hours? I put them in the fridge... was wanting to give her 1 a day - is that safe for her??

UPDATE on Brinsea - I just got off the phone with them - they ROCK... they are sending UPS to even do a pick up and sending out a new unit today!! She said the strict rules and policy online is to prevent people from "abuse" - I HIGHLY recommend Brinsea :) They have great customer service and I'm hoping the next unit is awesome and my chickens will lay golden eggs! :)
Fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!!! This is why I kept saying "I wouldn't do anything until I talked with them." See, all that frustration for nothing. lol
Just so glad that everything is going to be okay.
Jim

Fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!!! This is why I kept saying "I wouldn't do anything until I talked with them." See, all that frustration for nothing. lol
Just so glad that everything is going to be okay.
Jim

I know! But all I had to go on was what they said on their webpage about returns/warranty/etc. They were very good! I'm so excited to try this again!! One good thing - I now have more than I need of backups for monitoring :) I have 3 thermometers (2 are digital) and 2 digital hygrometers.

I'm only going to put 1 dozen in this time in case something goes horribly wrong again - I won't be out of so many eggs. These are just a basic barnyard mix for experimenting - I would like to get some nice variety of maran eggs for spring and hatch them out.

WoW!! I read this WHOLE thread! My Brinsea octagon 20 Eco is in the test phase right now. It is day two of lockdown testing. I put a cloth baby diaper in there and allowed it to dip into both water sections and it is holding at 72 percent humidity.
I am still adjusting the temp to get the correct temp for the top of the eggs. It came set at 102 on the glass thermometer, but down at 100, it is much lower at egg level, so I am slowly adjusting it.
No eggs are going in until I get this sorted. I just lost 70.00 worth of silkie eggs in my LG still air and I never want to go through that again. Not even one chick hatched and I don't know what happened, as I have hatched serama's in that incubator.
Anyway, I learned a ton on this thread, so thanks to all who participated. I feel equipped now to do this.
I will up date when I do my first hatch in it. Thanks all!

WoW!! I read this WHOLE thread! My Brinsea octagon 20 Eco is in the test phase right now. It is day two of lockdown testing. I put a cloth baby diaper in there and allowed it to dip into both water sections and it is holding at 72 percent humidity.
I am still adjusting the temp to get the correct temp for the top of the eggs. It came set at 102 on the glass thermometer, but down at 100, it is much lower at egg level, so I am slowly adjusting it.
No eggs are going in until I get this sorted. I just lost 70.00 worth of silkie eggs in my LG still air and I never want to go through that again. Not even one chick hatched and I don't know what happened, as I have hatched serama's in that incubator.
Anyway, I learned a ton on this thread, so thanks to all who participated. I feel equipped now to do this.
I will up date when I do my first hatch in it. Thanks all!
Once you get it set I think you will enjoy it. I have used mine quite a few times for incubating. I don't use it for hatching because it is a little small but it has done a great job for me on the incubation. Wishing you the best of luck in your ventures.
Jim

I can't seem to find a thread for my Brinsea Octogon 20 Advance specifically, but since the Eco is the same basic design, I think you guys can answer my question.

I previously had been working with a Brinsea Mini Advance (with the auto turner).

I believe I understand correctly that Days are plotted manually and the unit is removed from the auto turner cradle at day 18. With a capacity of 24 eggs, completely full of (bantam) eggs, will I be able to lay the eggs down all the way for lockdown so they can hatch in a normal position or will they have to stay big end up to hatch as well? It seems like the only way for babies to hatch well is for them to be able to kick free of shells as their egg lies flat, but then again, I've only ever hatched in the rotational turning incubator. How should I position eggs for hatching ideally in the Octogon 20 Advance? Should I perhaps cut down on the number of eggs I set so that they can lay down, or will all 24 be able to lay down once the dividers are removed at lockdown?

If you really want to fill it up, the eggs can certainly hatch in the upright position. Or, if there's room, you could lay them down, but I'd personally prefer to hatch them in the same position I incubated them.
Do your chicks ever have trouble disentangling themselves since gravity is working against them the whole time they are hatching? I suppose for the later hatchers theres more room, but it seems like the first to emerge might have a lot of trouble getting out, as they have to zip, hatch, and then climb to get completely free.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom