THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

My fan isn't running. Brinsea gonna replace. Just recd my turkey eggs. Can I start them at still air incubator Temps until I get the fan? Advice? No broodys avail. Thanks.

If i am understanding you correctly, the glass thermometer that came with the brinsea was swapped/rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise so you could see the numbers better and that thermometer now reads 5 degrees higher in that position.

If there is another thermometer in the unit that is also reading higher then you must have bumped the brinsea s sensor that is just under the fan causing the heater to think it needs to be hotter.. If its just the glass thermometer that is reading higher then i would have to surmise that the incubator was designed to read with the thermometer in the SW position and it is reading falsly high in the new postion.

I havent had problems reading the thermometer in the original position, but have rotated it on its long axis so the numbers face more the front of the window instead of up at the top so its easier to read. Yiu could try that and see if it makes it easier to read.
Update:
I called Brinsea support yesterday. They told me the heat sensor (black/blue) part of the glass thermometer needs to be directly under the fan to get a correct temp. reading. So I made sure of this adjustment. However, my digital thermometer and humidity gauge (see below; left side of the incubator) shows a 2 to 3 degrees difference from the glass thermometer. Still a little weary about the temp. variances. I would hope the glass (mercury) thermometer is more accurate.

Thoughts?

I'm not guaranteeing that what works for me will work for anyone else, but I've had 3 hatches in a row at 85%+ hatch rate at that humidity

I took weights on all eggs before setting. I took weights of 2 eggs on day 7 for comparison. According to the book I have, I calculated the appropriate range expected on day 7 for these 2 eggs (1 bantam, 1 LF). These two eggs weigh less than the expected range. That confirms for me that the humidity was too low, also. So I feel like this was the right move... that I increased the humidity. Hopefully, it wasn't too late.

Last edited:
I have my thermometer turned to the side if you're facing the vent. Is that okay?
Hi silkiecuddles,
Don't take my word for it but that is how mine is turned as well (for easier reading). Per Brinsea, as long as the heat-sensor part of the glass thermometer that comes with the incubator is directly underneath the fan, this will give the most accurate temp. reading.

As for the other thermometer(s) located somewhere else in the incubator (like my digital one), it's giving a different temp., and this is where I'm confused. Brinsea said the glass thermometer is more accurate, so I'll go with what they said.

I meant to say the thermometer it came with is turned to the LEFT. It says 100 and so does my thermometer I bought off Amazon
I think you're good to go if you didn't mess with it like "some" of us.
thumbsup.gif

Good luck with your eggs.

Last edited:
My son picked up my incubator lid and noticed the fan blades were catching on something. In two seconds it was fixed and fan running. 10 turkey eggs from Porter's are now set! 28 day countdown has begun.

I just got my Brinsea Advanced 20 today and was reading the paperwork and it started talking about a cool down period for the eggs. Out of curiosity who does this and what are your results?

Back
Top Bottom