THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

Only problem I see with that solution is if you have a very full incubator! Mine was so full at lockdown last time, I couldn't even completely lay all the eggs down.
big_smile.png
Sounds like you need to move up into a cabinet! (LOL)

I'm not happy with my humidity at lockdown. I'm using a paper towel as a wick in the bottom but my humidity is struggling to reach 60%. I like a higher humidity, usually I go for at least 70%. So my question is...has anyone ordered the clips and evaporation pad that brinsea makes for the pump and used it with aquarium tubing to keep it wet in the Eco?? It would be the same process as the pump but I'd have to add the water manually with a syringe through the tubing.

I have the 20 eco. For lockdown, I filled both wells. I had the best luck raising humidity with felt pieces. I put the edge in the water wells and folded it to lay under the tray. At lock down, I used a syringe to drip water into the well from the vent, or very quickly removed the lid and poured water in as the humidity was low by that point anyway.

I haven't ordered the evaporation pads from Brinsea, but what has worked well for me is that I got some small plastic containers about the size of one ice cibe from the dollar store ( 12 for $1.00).  Then I cut a sponge and put one in a cube, wet it, and add several to my incubator at lockdown (Depending on the time of year maybe 2 or 3.)  This has done a fantastic job of keeping the humidity where I want it.
    If I need to replenish the water or increase the humidity, I can run a tube through the vent hole right to the container (Usually place two right under the vent for this purpose, if needed.)

Thank you. I like all the ideas!

Only problem I see with that solution is if you have a very full incubator! Mine was so full at lockdown last time, I couldn't even completely lay all the eggs down. :D

Maybe you could fit those trays under the main black tray when the incubator is super full. That's why I was thinking of clipping the pad because it would be up and out of the way. But I think I'll try a row of sponges first, under the vent hole.

I have the 20 eco. For lockdown, I filled both wells. I had the best luck raising humidity with felt pieces. I put the edge in the water wells and folded it to lay under the tray. At lock down, I used a syringe to drip water into the well from the vent, or very quickly removed the lid and poured water in as the humidity was low by that point anyway.

Can I buy the felt at a fabric store? I woke up today (still day 20) and humidity was right at 50%! So I opened quick to add a wet sponge. I have to find a way to keep my humidity high at lockdown. I will definitely switch the paper towel underneath to felt. I've read that a few times at the beginning of this thread. Thanks!

I buy felt at craft/fabric store or Wal Mart. The small pieces without glue backing are really cheap. I tried paper towel first, but I think it dried out way too fast.
Although last year was my first, I felt like the brinsea used a lot of water. I had to refill daily during lockdown to keep my humidity above 65%. I run a wood stove and live in western Nebraska, so my air is quite dry.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, if it absorbs and retains water, will it release that water into the air to create humidity or just trap it?  Definitely worth a try to see if you like it better than felt.

Yes, that's the question! It might be worth an experiment. I looked up "felt" online and realized that there are all different kinds of felt made with all different types of fabric. There's cotton felt, polyester, hemp, etc. So I began thinking about what fabric would absorb the most water and that's how I found the "zorb" stuff. I wonder what type of felt the folks used on here?

I could be wrong, but since surface area determines humidity, will the material really make that big of a difference? I could see the felt absorbing more water on the initial top off, possibly lasting longer, but I think they would all evaporate at the same rate in a closed environment. Just a thought

I was thinking the Zorb might act like a baby's diaper - meant to absorb liquid and hold it in, away from the skin. If water is trapped between fibers, it won't release into the air very easily.

Cotton felt would just get saturated and work like doubled or tripled paper towels, wicking the water from the wells across the base of the incubator.

Hope you do some experiments for us Ruby!

Back
Top Bottom