THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

I have only done one hatch, last year, so I'm not the most experienced. But I decided not to bother with a hygrometer, and just kept one trough filled up most of the time. I just checked my notes, and I only filled it three times in the first 18 days. Sometimes it dried out altogether, so I suppose I did a dry (ish) incubation. Everything that was fertile hatched; I didn't lose any after I tossed the three clears at 11 days.

For lockdown, I filled both troughs and also laid a wet washcloth so that it was partially in one trough and spread out over the bottom. It was nice and humid in there.

Ok ... thanks for the guidance, so far the humidity looks good right now on 30% RH, did not add any water so far to the troughs

Still deciding on where my temp is at, the brinsea glass thermometer shows 100.2, but then
2 other thermometers on top of the eggs show 98, and a digtital thermometer shows. 100.4 ...
So obviously there is alot of variations in the temp inside the incubator. I'll watch it for another 8 hours, and then decide if I need to touch that little red screw knob, which I am trying to avoid !!

Last edited:
Ok ... thanks for the guidance, so far the humidity looks good right now on 30% RH, did not add any water so far to the troughs

Still deciding on where my temp is at, the brinsea glass thermometer shows 100.2, but then
2 other thermometers on top of the eggs show 98, and a digtital thermometer shows. 100.4 ...
So obviously there is alot of variations in the temp inside the incubator. I'll watch it for another 8 hours, and then decide if I need to touch that little red screw knob, which I am trying to avoid !!
When I had mine going, the glass therm was reading right around 101 and my digital one that I had sitting on the tray read 99. Sometimes it would read 100 when I had it rocked forward but it would go back to 99 when I rocked it backward. I left it alone and I am extremely satisfied with my hatches that I had. I think if it were me, I'd just leave it alone and see how it works out. I've read on here where a lot of folks had the difference when the incubator was moved back and forth.
Hope this helps
Jim
I will be starting mine back up again about Wednesday night. lol

The rocking of the incubator does, indeed, make a difference. You know, because heat rises and all that. Last year, I used both the included glass thermometer and a digital with a probe stuck right at the level of the eggs, and the glass thermometer was always higher. So this year, I'm just trusting the glass at around 100 and skipping the digital. I think obsessing about the digital temp wasn't going to work for me, as I have no idea how accurate the digital thermometer actually was (i.e. how accurately it was calibrated, and I didn't bother to check that myself).

For what it's worth, using the little red knob to adjust temp is rather painless. I have done it many times to adjust for cooler nights or whatever, and it is very easy. I use pliers to turn it.

The rocking of the incubator does, indeed, make a difference. You know, because heat rises and all that. Last year, I used both the included glass thermometer and a digital with a probe stuck right at the level of the eggs, and the glass thermometer was always higher. So this year, I'm just trusting the glass at around 100 and skipping the digital. I think obsessing about the digital temp wasn't going to work for me, as I have no idea how accurate the digital thermometer actually was (i.e. how accurately it was calibrated, and I didn't bother to check that myself).

For what it's worth, using the little red knob to adjust temp is rather painless. I have done it many times to adjust for cooler nights or whatever, and it is very easy. I use pliers to turn it.
Well, I wasn't going to do any more hatching for a while BUT I just last night went on hatching eggs for sale and won auction for some more RIR eggs and then to my surprise my Imported English Orp just started laying today so either Wednesday or Thursday I will be starting my Brinsea back up again. lol We are all so silly.
When I got my Brinsea, I set it up and it seemed a little high to me so I used small screw driver and turned it down 1/2 turn and I've never touched it again. It has never been under 99 nor over 100 which is working fine for me. I really don't know how this next hatch will be because the one bunch will be shipped eggs and the ones of my own that I'll be setting are just first pullet eggs from my Opr's and Barred Rocks. They both just started to lay so they may not be fertile. My own aren't costing me anything to try them out. I'm not hatching in this though because it is just a little to small for my liking for the chicks. I like them to have a little more freedom. Also, I hatch in egg cartons and there is just more room in the Hova Bators.
Jim

I am going to be setting eggs Saturday for the Easter Hatch-A-Long and I will be using my Eco 20 for the first time. Reading about every ones experience with the Eco has made me feel great about purchasing one and I can not wait to fire it up
big_smile.png
I am going to hatch in a separate incubator as there just does not look like there will be enough room for them in the Eco.

I am going to be setting eggs Saturday for the Easter Hatch-A-Long and I will be using my Eco 20 for the first time. Reading about every ones experience with the Eco has made me feel great about purchasing one and I can not wait to fire it up
big_smile.png
I am going to hatch in a separate incubator as there just does not look like there will be enough room for them in the Eco.

That's just the way I feel crazyeggs. I hatched 6 of 7 New Hampshire eggs just last week and I will not use it again for hatching. I love it for incubating but take the eggs out on day 18 and put them in my genesis 1588 for hatching. lol Good luck to you on your easter hatch.

Can anyone suggest a non-Brinsea humidity gauge for a Brinsea Eco 20 that will work and fit comfortably in the incubator?

This is what I use, I got it at Wal Mart. I forget just what it cost but I think something like 12 - 14 dollars. Under $15.00 I know for sure. I sit it in the front where I can see in at it. It is a little hard to read the temp (but if you use your candler flashlight) because it sits down lower. I like it okay. Sorry that it is blurry. lol I'm a little nervous. Sits right in the egg rack.

Back
Top Bottom