THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

hers seems to have tangled on the cradle and brinsea advise a sutable length of tube to avoid that

as you can see my setup there is no way mine can tangle as its no where near the cradle

I saw that.. and as I said I was just wanting to let WyoChickenMamma know that there was a chance it COULD happen.. so hopefully they can avoid the same sort of situation and heartache.. I never said it would happen to ALL of them.. just cited one instance that I am aware of so they would be more informed...

after all isn't it better to know that the cords CAN get tangled around the cradle and take steps to avoid it than for it to happen and regret not knowing?

I saw that.. and as I said I was just wanting to let WyoChickenMamma know that there was a chance it COULD happen.. so hopefully they can avoid the same sort of situation and heartache.. I never said it would happen to ALL of them.. just cited one instance that I am aware of so they would be more informed...

after all isn't it better to know that the cords CAN get tangled around the cradle and take steps to avoid it than for it to happen and regret not knowing?

absolutly i agree its a good thing to advise and let know of possible situations

i persoanlly would be more heart broken for developing embryos to die like that then to just get non developers or early deaths

absolutly i agree its a good thing to advise and let know of possible situations

i persoanlly would be more heart broken for developing embryos to die like that then to just get non developers or early deaths

especially if the eggs are hard to come by or are harder to hatch... it would be horrible to have eggs start to develop nicely then have a catastrophic event happen and kill them all

I had a few problems with my temperature, and spoke to customer service about it. They told me to send the unit back and they would take care of it (fix problem or give me a new one). I decided to try adjusting the temp myself, and have been having good hatches since then. I love mine, and customer service was also great for me! I will be getting another, as soon as they are on sale again. I have the Octagon 20 Eco with no turner or humidity pump. I am a SAHM, so I really don't need the turner.

I just got mine in the mail!!
I have a few questions though about the humidity. If you have the entire thing full of eggs, without opening the lid (say during the hatch) how can you see how much water is left and if it needs to be refilled? Or will the water you put in before lockdown be enough to last until the hatch is finished?

I have a few questions though about the humidity. If you have the entire thing full of eggs, without opening the lid (say during the hatch) how can you see how much water is left and if it needs to be refilled? Or will the water you put in before lockdown be enough to last until the hatch is finished?

I fill the troughs both to the top, and lay a washcloth in it, and over the bottom of the bator (as a wick). Then I put the tray back in. It keeps the humidity up very well, and doesn't dry out.

Yeah, that's what I thought of doing but wasn't sure if it would skyrocket the humidity or not. Do you put a hygrometer in there to see where it's at? And doing that lasts you all the way through lockdown without having to add more water?
I fill the troughs both to the top, and lay a washcloth in it, and over the bottom of the bator (as a wick). Then I put the tray back in. It keeps the humidity up very well, and doesn't dry out.

Hi, if you go back to page 36, you will see how I set mine up. I have used this little Brinsea many times this spring and just love it. Just what I have said in my posts on page listed is what I do. I set my temp when I very first got it and have never touched it since. I have a coal furnace so anyone that is familiar with that, you know that the temp in my home is never stable. It would get really cool at night. Even though my house temp changed, my Brinsea stayed at 99. As said, I only hatched in it one time and will not hatch in it any more because I don't like them crammed up in there like that. It is just to small (my opinion) for hatching. They can't stand upright without banging their heads. I'm really not a worry wart and do not check temps every hour so it may change and I don't know it but I have had super super hatches with it . As of right now, I can't say anything against mine except I wish the tops were a little higher to give more head room. If I was going to hatch eggs tomorrow, I would plug it in, put the sponges in, till the back trough with water, let it run for a few hours, add eggs and walk away. On or about the third day I would open it up lift out tray add water and close it back up for another 3 or so days. On day 18 I take eggs out and put in Hova Bator to hatch. And whoopeee, usually on day 20/21 I have my little guys/gals peeping at me. lol
If you want to go to my site http://jimspetsandpoultry.weebly.com and click on incubation page you will see what I have incubated in mine since I got it and I am very pleased.
I hope this helps
Jim

Yeah, that's what I thought of doing but wasn't sure if it would skyrocket the humidity or not. Do you put a hygrometer in there to see where it's at? And doing that lasts you all the way through lockdown without having to add more water?

Yes, I put a hygrometer in mine, and yes it lasts until the hatch is over-if you close the vent on top.

I am so excited because my Brinsea Octagon 20 ADVANCE EX digital egg incubator package is scheduled to be delivered today. I am looking forward to setting it up and checking it out. I am following some good advice I found on here that I should run a batch of local eggs through it first before I pay for the pure breed eggs I want to add to my flock. I am thinking about putting in a dozen or so. Any comments or advice about this idea? Also I keep seeing a complaint about there not being sufficient space for hatching in this incubator, I do not have another one to hatch them out, so I take it the best way to deal with this is to not fill it to capacity with eggs. I don't think I would want to do 24 at a time anway...probably 12-18 at most.

wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom