The Brooding of Allie, Casey and Latte

Tevyes Dad

Leader of the Quack
8 Years
Apr 22, 2014
As I write this, Allie, Casey and Latte should be fighting to get out of their shells. They have to hatch by tomorrow so they can ship... Their brooder is completely ready for them except for the water (we will mix and pour the water Tuesday night in case they make it on Wednesday). I will post bunches of pics here over the next two months or so - until they join the main flock.
fl.gif
wee.gif
fl.gif

Stay tuned...

Last edited:
In an act of great silliness, we just figured out that I have been spelling our new Khaki Campbell's name "Casie" and Yvonne has been spelling it "Casey". So naturally her name is going to be "Casey"
wink.png
At least we got if figured out before she got here. I would hate to have a duckling have to worry about how she should spell her name.
gig.gif

SO IMPATIENT!!!!! - I am so excited AAAAARG!

Now that I got that out... We are trying some new things based on things we have seen or experienced and we will report on them along the way. Here is our set up we are going to try this time:

We bought a soft dog taxi approx 2-1/5' x 4' (10 sq. ft. - 3-1/3 sq. ft. per bird). This will go from huge to barely adequate for 3 birds (when it gets toward the latter, they will be making day trips out to the yard and only overnighting in the brooder so it will be fine then.)

Some design considerations:

* The sides of the taxi have fairly tough screens. This will allow us to see the ducklings easily and them to see us. Hopefully that will make them more social since they will be able to see us moving about even when we aren't directly giving them attention.

* The brooder is going on a table. At 50/51, we aren't as spry as we once were and this will make viewing and maintaining the brooder much easier. A strap will run under the table so even a nearly full sized Pekin diving into the side of the brooder won't be able to knock it off the table.

* We are going to use towels for bedding - at least initially. We have seen several people doing this for indoor accommodations on the house duck thread, and thought we would try it. There is enough depth to the taxi that we can go back to pine chips if we decide this doesn't work.

* The water will sit on a cookie sheet with aquarium rocks in it. (If they can't navigate it on the first day, we may remove it for a day or two.) That way any spills will immediately sink into the rocks where the ducks can't play with it. Hopefully this will let them make less mess. We will rinse the rocks in a strainer as required. Since they are aquarium rocks, we know that they don't have a coating that will hurt them (fish are more sensitive to things like that than ducks so it should be fine for ducks). The rocks are big enough that it will be at least a week before they could consider being eaten and they are nice and smooth so they won't be rough on the duck feet or the GI tract if they do get eaten. When the ducks get bigger (as well as the water containers), we will probably put them in a deeper container with sponges under the rocks.) We will see how that works when we get there... We will give them a nare/eye wash station once they have the hang of the brooder and are walking sure-footedly.

* The heat lamp hangs from a clothes hanging rod. It is supported by a chain so the lamp can be raised as the ducklings grow. It is currently adjusted for a 95 degree surface temp on the towels.

* To the side of the brooder we will have additional towels, their food, yeast and some washcloths for little messes.

* The electrolytes/probiotics are over by the sink where we will mix them in pitchers that we will use to fill or top off their water.

Now all we need are the ducklings.
fl.gif
caf.gif
barnie.gif
caf.gif
barnie.gif
caf.gif
fl.gif

Eeeeee...how much longer!??

Very nice set up!

Questions:

Was the soft sided dog taxi expensive?
Is there an existing opening on top or did you have to make some cuts?
Do you use brewers yeast powder or flakes?
Will you please take & share a pic of the thermometer(s)?
Does setting up and discussing the 'lings help the time pass or make it more frustrating due to the wait?
big_smile.png

Quote:
Eeeeee...how much longer!??

Very nice set up!

Questions:

Was the soft sided dog taxi expensive?
Is there an existing opening on top or did you have to make some cuts?
Do you use brewers yeast powder or flakes?
Will you please take & share a pic of the thermometer(s)?
Does setting up and discussing the 'lings help the time pass or make it more frustrating due to the wait?
big_smile.png

Either we will get a call early in the morning or (more likely)Thursday early in the morning.

Thanks.
big_smile.png

Answers:

$59.95 delivered from Amazon - you decide.

Openings on all panels but the bottom. No cuts required.

Didn't know anything about it... got powder (before we used niacin capsules in the water).

Yes once it is back up to temp. After I get an initial temperature, I watch the ducklings - if they stay away from the heat lamp I raise it - if they huddle under it I lower it. The thermometer gets to be the swimming thermometer.

Yes
tongue.png

Last edited:
Very nice brooder setup, Tony!

Gonna be 3 of the most spoiled little 'lings ever!!

jumpy.gif
celebrate.gif
I'm sure hoping so. But as we all know, at about 8 weeks, they will hate us
gig.gif
, I mean
hit.gif
. Then it will only take 1.2 million meal worms before they love us again.
roll.png

I'm sure hoping so.  But as we all know, at about 8 weeks, they will hate us :gig , I mean :hit .  Then it will only take 1.2 million meal worms before they love us again. :rolleyes:

Typical teenagers!!

At least mealworms are cheaper than a phone, iPod, laptop/iPad, car, and various other 'I have to have' accessories... :lau

Back
Top Bottom