The Brooding of Allie, Casey and Latte

:lau

Oh, I am sooo glad it's not just me with this issue! All I hear is how you have to be careful of introduction with 'lings cuz of how easy they get hurt, and I've cautioned about it too... but mine are always the other way around!

In fact, the last group was 6 weeks old... they kept chasing the older ducks... the worst one was, the runt of the 6 week olds went after the almost year old Rouen/Mallard!!! Chased that poor big girl all the way down the hill! :gig

Last edited:
lau.gif

Oh, I am sooo glad it's not just me with this issue! All I hear is how you have to be careful of introduction with 'lings cuz of how easy they get hurt, and I've cautioned about it too... but mine are always the other way around!

In fact, the last group was 6 weeks old... they kept chasing the older ducks... the worst one was, the runt of the 6 week olds went after the almost year old Rouen/Mallard!!! Chased that poor big girl all the way down the hill!
gig.gif
This is an old pic from my first brood but it catches it so well:

Little Greta 'ling chasing Tella & Ettie (the entire established flock).

This is an old pic from my first brood but it catches it so well: Little Greta 'ling chasing Tella & Ettie (the entire established flock).
:gig Yup!!! That's what mine looked like!! Just a slightly smaller 'ling doing the chasing... I could never quite catch it in time to get a proper pic, but the little runt is the one on the far left in front of the group and the big girl it was chasing away...
And that is an epic pic, Tony!! :D

Q: What do the following ducks have in common:

Entie - Runner
Dove - Runner
Noir - Runner
Mystique - Runner
Tella - Rouen
Ettie - Rouen
Kaine - Rouen Drake

A: On their last official weigh in (mid-November) after being fattened up for Winter, they weighed less than Allie did today.

===========================================

Q: What do the following ducks have in common:

My whole *&^#&% flock.

A: On the official weigh in just over a month earlier (10/11/15) just prior to being fattened up for Winter, they weighed less than Allie did today.

===========================================.

How much was this gargantuan "duckling"???
6lbs, 2oz.

In other news, Casey finally conceded that she is a little duck and let Latte pull ahead by a full oz.
Casey: 2lbs, 11oz.
Latte: 2lbs, 12oz.

They got to spend much of the afternoon out in their pen in the yard today with a kiddie pool available. They experienced several firsts: They were in their first natural rain. They got to eat their first adult pellet food. They got to eat their first adult grit. (They still have crumble and chick grit in their brooder).

Casey's wing is looking better (not perfect but better) on its own - I am sure it will be fine. So far there has been no sign that she ate anything that is harming her.

As you can see from the pic, other than their flight feathers and the fluff on their hips, they are pretty much adult ducks. They have all made adult sounds of some kind, they toppled both their food and their grit. And that pool was fresh clear drinking water just a couple hours ago. Waterfowl = Foul water
lau.gif

They got to go outside again to day from 3 until around 7:30
big_smile.png

Allie actually lost an ounce so is now at 6lbs, 1oz. I blame it on her legs getting stronger and her getting more active plus she went up a lot yesterday... Maybe she had a crop full of granite.
gig.gif

Casey is continuing to lose ground to Latte which is correct.
Casey: 2lbs, 13 oz
Latte: 2lbs, 15 oz.

Q: What do the following ducks have in common: Entie - Runner Dove - Runner Noir - Runner Mystique - Runner Tella - Rouen Ettie - Rouen Kaine - Rouen Drake A: On their last official weigh in (mid-November) after being fattened up for Winter, they weighed less than Allie did today. =========================================== Q: What do the following ducks have in common: My whole *&^#&% flock. A: On the official weigh in just over a month earlier (10/11/15) just prior to being fattened up for Winter, they weighed less than Allie did today. ===========================================. How much was this gargantuan "duckling"??? 6lbs, 2oz. In other news, Casey finally conceded that she is a little duck and let Latte pull ahead by a full oz. Casey: 2lbs, 11oz. Latte: 2lbs, 12oz. They got to spend much of the afternoon out in their pen in the yard today with a kiddie pool available. They experienced several firsts: They were in their first natural rain. They got to eat their first adult pellet food. They got to eat their first adult grit. (They still have crumble and chick grit in their brooder). Casey's wing is looking better (not perfect but better) on its own - I am sure it will be fine. So far there has been no sign that she ate anything that is harming her. As you can see from the pic, other than their flight feathers and the fluff on their hips, they are pretty much adult ducks. They have all made adult sounds of some kind, they toppled both their food and their grit. And that pool was fresh clear drinking water just a couple hours ago. Waterfowl = Foul water :lau
Tony!! Look at how absolutely cute they are. They are young ladies. I want to scoop them all up and kissqueeze. Heehee, the waterfoul comment made me laugh.

Back
Top Bottom