The Buckeye Thread

I can't think of any reason a breeder would be insulted that you ate what they and or yourself created.

I think my thought process has been tainted by too many CL ads for pet chickens (which is fine just not my deal), lol.

Thanks again for such a warm welcome to this forum and thread. I'll continue to read, learn and generally take it all in.

There is a breeder located less than 3 hours from our farm that has all 3 breeds that I'm interested in and appears to offer hatching eggs. Once I locate quality broody hens I think I may get a small number of each breeds eggs (Buckeye, Sussex, Dominique) and see how I enjoy each one. I like the idea of being able to drive to pick up eggs versus the postal system.

Thanks,
M

I can't think of any reason a breeder would be insulted that you ate what they and or yourself created.

I think my thought process has been tainted by too many CL ads for pet chickens (which is fine just not my deal), lol.

Thanks again for such a warm welcome to this forum and thread. I'll continue to read, learn and generally take it all in.

There is a breeder located less than 3 hours from our farm that has all 3 breeds that I'm interested in and appears to offer hatching eggs. Once I locate quality broody hens I think I may get a small number of each breeds eggs (Buckeye, Sussex, Dominique) and see how I enjoy each one. I like the idea of being able to drive to pick up eggs versus the postal system.

Thanks,
M

All real breeders cull in one way or another -- it's not an option. Either you slaughter your culls, or you sell your culls, or you don't breed enough to provide adequate selection for flock improvement, or you end up being on an episode of "Animal Hoarders." The chicken math just doesn't work out any other way. Most true breeders would be honored to know that their stock will end up being the foundation of a real working homestead, as that's what the breed was developed to do.

Driving to pick up your eggs is definitely the way to go if that's an option, and if the stock is truly good enough. I'd rather buy 15 shipped eggs of good stock than 8 eggs of poor stock in order to obtain 5 foundation birds. Your foundation birds will determine the future of your flock, so don't settle for "just ok" stock because the eggs are within driving distance. On the other hand, if there's truly good birds within driving distance, you've hit the jackpot! Just be sure to protect them in the vehicle. So many people just bring an egg carton to the farm. It's a good idea to bring something to protect them from the radiating heat of the sun (we don't have that problem in winter in WA, but you're in the deep south), from the heater in your vehicle, from temp changes, and from vibration. I like to take an ice chest with lots of bubble wrap to surround the egg carton, and either slightly cooled "ice packs" on a hot day, or slightly warmed "ice packs" on a cold day, to try to maintain a temp of 50-60 degrees inside the cooler. But for three hours, probably just a box, some bubble wrap, and an egg carton would work as long as there's no temperature extremes. Just don't set them in the sun, if you're lucky enough to have any this time of year, or right in front of your heater vent.

Regarding my comment about color near the top of this page, I wasn't implying that color is irrelevant, or that you should buy the purple ones because you won't be showing. Of course color is an integral part of what makes a Buckeye. But I was talking about buying stock from a good breeder, not hatchery quality stock. I was making the assumption that a good breeder's color culls were minor and nuanced, perfectly fine birds that just might not be the top 1% of his/her stock that would win in the show ring, not that they would be colors that would be poor representations of the breed.

Regarding my comment about color near the top of this page, I wasn't implying that color is irrelevant, or that you should buy the purple ones because you won't be showing. Of course color is an integral part of what makes a Buckeye. But I was talking about buying stock from a good breeder, not hatchery quality stock. I was making the assumption that a good breeder's color culls were minor and nuanced, perfectly fine birds that just might not be the top 1% of his/her stock that would win in the show ring, not that they would be colors that would be poor representations of the breed.

When I said "doesn't have to have perfect coloring" this is exactly what I meant.........a shade of variance doesn't bother me, or even an imperfect comb or barring that is a millimeter too wide. I would buy a purple chicken in a heartbeat though ;)

thanks for taking the time to clarify, I appreciate it.

M

I would buy a purple chicken in a heartbeat though ;)

M
I guess I would too!! LOL

Check out the sheen on a double laced Barnevelder hen in the right sunlight. I saw a picture of one in a book that was blue. Not subtle blue, but full vibrant royal blue. I assumed that the photographer had a filter on the lens. Then when I saw them in person I was shocked to see that they do shimmer in an array of blues and purples in the right sunlight. (But they don't have the personality or vigor of a Buckeye, so they were crossed off my list quickly after my first clutch.)

What would make 1/2 of one feather turn/be white on my 11 month old Buckeye cockerel? It is up on his back, but mostly covered by other feathers. The white part is closest to his body. I only noticed it the other day when he had been out in the rain. He is one of my son's 4-H show birds. Is this going to disqualify him? He is also our only rooster and we were hoping to hatch some of his chicks this year. How likely would it be that he would pass it on? He is not hatchery stock. I got him from a breeder who has been working with Buckeyes for a long time.

Last edited:
If you mean the whole feather or base of the feather? If so, then it is likely genetic. If you were to see a little at the tips, it would be possible it would have been caused by stress during the development of the feather(s), but a whole lot of white at the base is something to avoid. I suggest finding a different rooster if you wish to continue breeding.

What would make 1/2 of one feather turn/be white on my 11 month old Buckeye cockerel? It is up on his back, but mostly covered by other feathers. The white part is closest to his body. I only noticed it the other day when he had been out in the rain. He is one of my son's 4-H show birds. Is this going to disqualify him? He is also our only rooster and we were hoping to hatch some of his chicks this year. How likely would it be that he would pass it on? He is not hatchery stock. I got him from a breeder who has been working with Buckeyes for a long time.

An entirely white feather is a disqualification, but a half white feather is not. Your son can still show him.

Birds are animals, and each are a flip of the genetic dice, wrapped into the environment. All lines are going to have the potential for some undesirable trait. C'est la vie.

As far as breeding, here is what I would consider (after getting advice from the vastly more experienced):
1. Although I believe you, are you sure it's a white feather and not just pale colored fluff?
2. It's possible that there was just something off (minor injury, etc) when that feather was made and that his next molt won't have the white.
3. Buckeyes are utility birds, and excellent meat birds. If you're in a hurry to breed him and he's your only shot, you can go for it with the plan that you expect to send all the offspring to freezer camp.
4. Cockerels and cocks are always easier to come by than hens. You live in Ohio: within driving distance there is surely a Buckeye breeder who will end up with a spare cockerel of similar bloodlines and nice quality that you can purchase for a reasonable price.

Hello, new to this thread.... Just got my FIRST group of chickens.... Buckeyes!!! So excited... Had to drive 5 hrs round trip, but so far it's been worth every minute! 1 roo (BuckO) and 10 ladies... The lady shown is Buckett

I've had them since Sunday afternoon and have already fell in love with their personality and the funny noises they make!!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom