• Other Hatchery

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • BYC member

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 32 29.1%

• Total voters
Pics

I love my pretty buff. She's the boss of the flock.

I posted this in the incubation thread but wanted it here also. I selected this breed of duck due to everything I read about taste, egg laying, and hardiness..... check this out. My poor ducks were taken by predator but then I hatched out the eggs they had laid....

Hey all - this is more of an incubator story.... My pure buff orpington ducks from Metzers were doing great and just before their first birthday on April 10th they were eaten by something at night. I had 3 ladies and 1 drake. Sucker is, I had just promised kids we would start saving eggs for incubator and put in over a dozen this time, getting 2 or 3 a day. Well that was horrible. I had 5 eggs sitting on my counter, because, I never seem to get to washing them or the chickens but for every few days. And then as I was setting up the incubator thought about the ones I had in the refrigerator. I wanted to just fill the incubator more, and figured why not try a science experiment. This gets better since I had sold a few overflow eggs and the 3 ducks eggs that were left in my fridge were from 3/4, 3/5, & 3/6. So I now have 5 eggs two days old and 3 eggs that had been washed and in the refrigerator for over a month. When I candled them at 10 days i had 8 eggs with veins, now one egg was covered in mud and i did not expect it to hatch, all the reading i had done said to set the dirty egg without washing. After this experiment, I might just get off most of the dirt. The three fridge eggs, which i labeled were growing fine. All 7 eggs, the dirty one did not hatch, are GREAT... the 4 'newer' eggs hatched 5/7 and the 3 fridge eggs hatched 5/8. i have marked the 3 fridge babies to see how they develop. Interesting, and happy it worked, I loved my buff ducks.

Can someone help me with sexing my buffs? They're about 2-3 months old now. The only difference is in their bills. Two of them have a purplish brown colored bill and another one has an orange bill. The one with the orange bill is a little bigger than the other two.

Can someone help me with sexing my buffs? They're about 2-3 months old now. The only difference is in their bills. Two of them have a purplish brown colored bill and another one has an orange bill. The one with the orange bill is a little bigger than the other two.

Do they quack? Or make a raspier sound?

Last edited:
are these guys buffs? Which is the Drake? Also is the black duck a Drake or hen? It always squats when it walks never extending it's neck like the other two...

All three are loud and noisy as all hell Haha. I've only received 1 egg daily from them? Any ideas as to why. Also the two buffs stay together the black one is kind of a loner

Back
Top Bottom