• Other Hatchery

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • BYC member

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 32 29.1%

• Total voters
Pics
are these guys buffs? Which is the Drake? Also is the black duck a Drake or hen? It always squats when it walks never extending it's neck like the other two...
how old are they?
I have a buff drake that my ducks hatched and right around week 12 he grew his dark grey neck feathers and at 15wks his curly tail feather.
ducks start laying as early as 20-24 weeks old and as late as 40-50 weeks. 1 of my f/w runner ducks didnt start laying until she was 10mos old and the other one started at 20 weeks. they were acting like a drake and duck for 10 months until the 2nd duck started laying eggs. i thought i had a drake and a duck until the 2nd duck started laying eggs. i have a pekin drake that is 1yr 3mos old and he has never grown a curly tail feather... i have seen his penis, so i know he is a drake.
hope this helps

Hi, I got Buff hen a few days ago from Craigslist. She is 1 years old and motling. Do Buffs normally look this bad when they are molting?
I also got a Khaki Campbell. They are both in quarantine right now. they are both away from my other 7 ducks.

Here is Yappy at about 3 1/2 months old. I maybe wrong because she looks about the same size as today and we got her in April if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
They look like Buffs. Mine is a hen and she has a little white on her feather tips only. No spots of white, but from what I've read it varies. Looks like maybe the one on the left is a drake. Looks like his neck is a little darker. Hard for me to tell.

I have a buff that is around 9 mos. She has been laying almost daily for a while now. I put fake eggs in her nest to keep her laying there, and taking the real ones. I have some in the incubator with about a week and a half till hatch time. So this is a 2 part question. 1st. My girl did not lay today, she ate this morning then went and set on her nest. I thought maybe she was going to lay bit she is still there several hrs later, could ahead be broody this late in the year? And the 2nd question is, if she is can I put the eggs from the incubator under her to finish hatching even tho there's not much time left for them?

My ducks (I have a few different smaller breeds) are all over the map with broodiness. From four hours to four months, spring, summer and fall, some of them will sit.

As far as going from incubator to broody duck, good question - I wonder if @sourland or @learycow might be around. There are other hatchers, I just like to tag different people.

My ducks (I have a few different smaller breeds) are all over the map with broodiness.  From four hours to four months, spring, summer and fall, some of them will sit. 

As far as going from incubator to broody duck, good question - I wonder if @sourland
  or @learycow
might be around.  There are other hatchers, I just like to tag different people.

She sets for several hrs at a time but keeps getting up. This b is way different than my hens. I would live to sneak my eggs from the Bator under her and see if she will take care of them when they hatch.

Back
Top Bottom