• Other Hatchery

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • BYC member

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 32 29.1%

• Total voters
Pics
can anyone tell me if this duck I just rescued is a buff???

Looks like a Buff girl to me :love
that's what I was also thinking now I've been listening to duck sounds online and I can't tell if its male or female anymore lol there's no promonate drake feather and sometimes I hear a quack and sometimes it sounds raspy ahh I wish it were easier lol

If it is spring where you are, a drake would have a gray hood. Let me see if I can find one of Bean.
wow what a big boy!!! So pretty:) it is spring I'm in ohio. The reason I started wondering was bc I let the 3 littler mallards I have sleep outside for the first night in there pin with her thinking she was a girl and they would be fine. This morning one of them has a bald spot on the back close to the wing where it looks like the feathers were ripped out. When they r out of the pin during the day they all 3 follow her around and when I took them away tonight inside due to the storm she threw a fit, and she don't peck at them during the day but when I put them in the pen together while I left she was pecking them. That's when I started looking to see if maybe she was a he and trying to mate and started listening to duck sounds online and it is hard for me to distinguish between her sound. I rescued her from people who had her in the city and had bought her as a easter gift last yr and of course didn't realize she wouldn't be tiny forever. So then I was thinking if she is in fact a he then "he" must be mixed since I can find a breed that the male doesn't have some marks.

Last edited:
So, I just was given this ducky from someone who pulled it out from under their deck. It was in bad shape but has been very friendly. I don't know the breed or sex but I was wondering if this is a Buff or Buff/Runner cross? I don't really know much on those breeds but it is always standing or walking upright.
lol.png

I've been told to figure around 5 or 6 weeks old. It's still peeping, not quacking yet.
Any information would be great, thanks!

I have a buff named Sweet Pea. For the past week or so it sounds like her quack is changing in many different ways. Sometimes it sounds like a bigger version of her duckling peep. This evening she sounds like a squeaky toy. She's not achieved a full fledged quack yet and I'm becoming quite confused. She is about a month and a half old. Should I be worried? Is she merely going through ducky puberty? I would greatly appreciate if anyone could put my obsessive duck-mom worries to bed.

7 - week old - Buff's from Metzers farm Straight Run...... so we are hoping that at least 3 are females.... the goal was to have EGGS & Dinner!!! - I need to determine which of mine are the drakes/hens... then save the 3/4 females and one male and eat the rest....hopefully eat and hatch out some eggs, either in the incubator or let them keep them in their nests.... work on that last part, but they are young yet.

Back
Top Bottom