The building of Pea Palace(Pic Heavy)

Well,,It has been a fantastic few days here.Pea Palace construction has suffered severely but I did complete 2 pens today and moved some new residents in.Tomorrow I hope to finish up 2 more pens,and get them filled as well.Getting up early to head to the Tri-K swap meet at 3:30 am to rehome several unneeded India Blues and Yellow Golden pheasants,then back to construction.

I first need to say today was one of the best days I have ever had.Not to write a biography here but I started 2 years ago buying eggs off e-bay,,with a less than average hatch rate,but I knew this going in.Last year I did the same,but only hatched about 15 compared to my first year closer to 40 peas made it.I have cared for them and spent tons of money on them,especially this spring but I knew that going in.

I come here and read thread after thread on these birds,and really could not relate to much because my birds was all too young and I hadn't been thru a breeding season yet.But today that all changed.As much construction as I still have ahead of me,, this afternoon after putting birds in two finished pens I had to stop work for awhile and go grab my camera.

After letting both Peacocks loose and adding 2 hens with them it didn't take long for the "showing off" to begin.I opted for putting my Bronze and Opal Black Shoulders in the first completed pens,,mainly because they were still in the small boxes they went thru the sale in,and I needed those boxes for taking birds in to sell tomorrow.

Everyone here has seen Peacocks before fanning,but for me to witness for the first time the beauty these birds really have up close and personal is something I will never,,never forget.I would like to introduce "Opie" to BYC,,He is my new Opal Black Shoulder male with two Opal B/S hens with him now,and I plan to add two plain Opal hens from last years hatch tomorrow.

My next pen with the Bronze is pictured below.I think an appropriate name for this guy is UPS,,"What can brown do for you"? I know he's not Brown but if you look closely at the UPS Logo there are several shades of Brown and one resembles Bronze to me.If for no other reason,,for the speedy roundtrip to Mt Hope and back all in about 33 hours,,,UPS is supposed to be fast,,was about 410 miles one way for us,,thats a lot of distance to cover.

Zazouse,no baby peas there,most all was of breeding age this spring but I'm sure a few of them was yearlings.

Vbgarden,Got my top net from a seller off e-bay,actually the first one he sent had several areas that was not "knotted" and I spent an hour with zip ties closing them back up.O tok pictures of this and he sent me a new 50x50 net free and it arrived yesterday.It will be used next year on Pea Palace west edition.Bruce Jones,from Pinnon Hatch Farms is where I purchased it thru

Last edited:
Everyone here has seen Peacocks before fanning,but for me to witness for the first time the beauty these birds really have up close and personal is something I will never,,never forget.I would like to introduce "Opie" to BYC,,He is my new Opal Black Shoulder male with two Opal B/S hens with him now,and I plan to add two plain Opal hens from last years hatch tomorrow.

Beautiful!!

I bet everyone here is just like me,....can't ever see enough pictures!!!
Thanks for posting!

Frenchblackcopper

It is awesome that your birds are settling in and strutting there stuff for you. I bet they are and will love the palace. The auction was great and so many birds....I think we were all able to fill our needs and get some good ones. I know you did. It was also great for me to meet you and chat with the many people there. Really it is a who's who of birds and bird folk at the spring show. Chickens, Ducks, pheasants, peafowl galore.
ep.gif

I finally got two more pens completed today,and moved the Midnight Black Shoulders into their pen.I think pen number4 will house the Purple B/S Silver pied with his harem of 2 purple and 2 purple B/S hens.I also have 1 purple w/e hen,,but that may be asking too much for a 2 year old male.

If you don't have anyone to throw that purple white eye hen with, I have a purple white eye male we can pen her up with here. You have been busy but things are looking awesome. Sorry I missed the Tri-K show. How did you do on selling those extra blues?

How do you guys go about quarantining the auction birds you bring home? Do you keep them completely away from your flocks for at least 30 days, or do you just trust the sellers and hope for the best? I've never been to any type of poultry auction before, but with so many birds in one place I'd be paranoid about bringing something yucky home to my birds
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom