The chicken medicine cabinet. Help create a helpful thread!

Riocotesei

Songster
11 Years
Aug 15, 2008
N.Texas
I'd like to interest as many people I can for this subject I think it is very important and helpful if everyone can help out.
For us beginners/novices I thought it would be great to make up a basic list of medications ect. that we will all need for our pet chickens. For sudden sicknesses or helpful daily health please list it! I'll start out, if we can list what the uses of the medication or remedies are and where you can find them. You can add more info to something if you fell the poster did not cover it well.
If we all can add to it, It would be awesome and helpful!

Wazine- used to treat common worms in chickens can be found in feed stores.

Here's my summary of everything given so far. It's a Word document if anyone wants to copy it:
CHICKENS - MEDICINE CABINET SUPPLIES

Riocotesei
Sulmet-- treament for Coccidiosis, Infectious Coryza, Acute Fowl Cholora, and Pullorum Disease. Can be found in feedstores. I had a hard time finding it, however.

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain

Terramycin (General Antibiotic)
Tylan 50 or 200 (Antibiotic)
Amprolium (cocci)
Sulmet (cocci, & respiratory, I believe)
Q-tips
Gauze and tape (sports-tape works really well)
non pain-relief Neosporin or A&D Ointment
Peroxide
Iodine or Betadine (antiseptic)
Stiptic pencil or some other blood stauncher (I always seem to get one toe that bleeds when I trim... )
Wazine or other wormer
Tweezers, fine needle, fine cotton thread
BlueKote (antiseptic, anti-pick)

hinkjc

Poly-vi-sol infant vitamins
Vitamins and Electrolytes (Durvet)
Copper Sulfate
Nail clipper
Displosable gloves
Vet RX
Oxine

BJ
Pine tar - for feather picking/wounds. CHICKEN little 1 (comment about BJ’s pine tar) - It does work well.It healed a rather large wound (from being pecked),and she's starting to grow feathers again.

ChooksinIowa

Blue-Kote - it is an antibacterial/antifungal for wounds.
VetRx - it is for respiratory problems.
Rooster Booster brand anti-pick formula
Xenodine for wounds
Permethrin dust - lice and mite dust
Poly-vi-sol - vitamins for chicks who may not be doing too well initially

Tuffoldhen
SEE URL : http://backyardchickens.yuku.com/topic/ … e-Box.html – for a very long, excellent list of medications and treatments that everyone should have on hand for emergencies.

ChickaD

Cayenne pepper, can be mixed with garlic powder, an antibiotic. The cayenne pepper stops bleeding from a wound and helps prevent shock. (fox attack)

patandchickens (URL’s)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/v … php?id=454
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/v … p?id=10769
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/v … hp?id=6446
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/v … hp?id=3054

chickn
Ground raw hulled Pumpkin Seeds are a good natural wormer.
Apple Cider Vinegar at a rate of 1 tablespoon per gallon of water (daily) is a natural remedy to help ward of worms.
In the coop I have a box of paper towels and a bottle of hand sanitizer.

lilchick
Vics Vapor Rub it stops the picking cause it tastes so bad....
Baby wipes for you and the birds...
Baby oil to use on leg mites...
Pet toe nail clippers.. for nails, spurs and trimming beaks too...
Sissors to trim wings and those dirty "butt" feathers...
Extra syringes and needles for injectable meds.....
Ivermectin.... can use horse wormer it is cheaper and easier to get than liquid... great for tapeworms that regular wormers can't kill....

Last edited:
I don't know much either thats why I"m hoping it works. Help me keep the thread up so people will post on it.

Sulmet-- treament for Coccidiosis, Infectious Coryza, Acute Fowl Cholora, and Pullorum Disease. Can be found in feedstores. I had a hard time finding it, however.

Terramycin (General Antibiotic)
Tylan 50 or 200 (Antibiotic)
Amprolium (cocci)
Sulmet (cocci, & respiratory, I believe)
Q-tips
Gauze and tape (sports-tape works really well)
non pain-relief Neosporin or A&D Ointment
Peroxide
Iodine or Betadine (antiseptic)
Stiptic pencil or some other blood stauncher (I always seem to get one toe that bleeds when I trim...
tongue.png
)
Wazine or other wormer
Tweezers, fine needle, fine cotton thread
BlueKote (antiseptic, anti-pick)

That's what's in my medicine cabinet... I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of any more. Those are the important things.

Last edited:
I would add the following:

Poly-vi-sol infant vitamins
Vitamins and Electrolytes (Durvet)
Copper Sulfate
Nail clipper
Displosable gloves
Vet RX
Oxine

If I think of more, I will edit this list.

Jody

Jody, what is the copper sulfate used for?

Shoot, I forgot all about the Polyvisol... I just added that to the arsenal.
tongue.png

what about pine-tar? I plan on getting some of that for my cabinet. I have heard it does wonders for feather picking/wounds.

Can you guys post the uses for thse idifferent Items? New people like me don't know what half those things are for.
smile.png

I have the Blue-Kote - it is an antibacterial/antifungal for wounds.

I have the VetRx - it is for respiratory problems.

I also would include some form of anti-picking treatment. Personally I use Rooster Booster brand anti-pick formula. You spread it around on the area being picked and it tastes yukky I guess but it stops the picking. It also turns your hand purple!

I also have xenodine for wounds.

I have ordinary vaseline that I use around vents for lice. It smothers them and they die. This is for a minor infestation only. Spread on thickly.

For worse cases of lice or mites I use permethrin dust. I get mine from Randall Burkey. I think they call it lice and mite dust.

The poly-vi-sol is for chicks who may not be doing too well initially - sometimes they aren't good at eating or drinking and that can help them along. I get the ones without iron but I'm not sure if it makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom