The Chickendad Chronicles

it is amazing how tiny these guys are and the things they get into!! i like the soup ladle idea- never would have thought of it! Way to go!!

I hope that all is well with you Mrs Chckendad, and that you have simply been busy taking care of the babies.

Life in Chicken City has been on the upswing. More egg customers! I have two that are willing to drive to the house to get the eggs. So nice, and easy on me. It is just about summer and the girls are starting to slow down, not so many days where I'm getting 2 doz eggs from 28 hens. Miss Stink officially moved herself back into the chicken coop, and the babies, Lindy and Heart put themselves to bed in the dog kennel at night. I'll move them to the coop when they are larger, at 4 weeks they are still too small to reach the perches. The chicks have been well trained in all things chickendom, and they fit right into the flock, foraging all day long, and drinking frequently throughout the day. I should have been a 100 today, maybe tomorrow too, and then a few days of low 90's again. A little over a week ago we had a big thunderstorm, lots of wind that blew water and hail everywhere, even knocked down one of the rain gutters and moved the brooder pen several feet down the porch before it jammed into the firewood rack. Anyway with all the nasty weather, we had to search for mama and babies and they were seeking shelter next to the house in the splashing of the fallen rain gutter. I was able to get one of the babies, Heart, and dry it off and put it in the kennel, but Lindy took off like a shot, and we couldn't find him/her and we searched along w/ mama for a good hour. Finally we got her and dried her off and placed her with the one chick. We were devastated, I kept seeing her out in the rain calling and calling the baby, it was a heartbreaking sight. We looked more later, but it was no where to be found. I said a prayer, remembering the swallow, and let it go. In the morning I find the little gold chick outside the kennel talking to mama, and let her out to be with both the babies. Named that chick Lindy, after Lind burg since it likes to explore. It is a crack up to see it on top to the compost pile scratching away for the tasty bugs. It is time to rake the compost back into the pens so it is a pile again. On the other hand, Annie-Not has tried the communal approach to setting on eggs, and I think the helpers she recruited to sit while she went on her constitutionals, weren't diligent enough, but then she would put the eggs all around her, not under her during the heat of the day. I figured it was to keep them from overheating, but I think she found them too lumpy or whatever. The eggs should have hatched yesterday, and if they don't tomorrow, then they will be tossed, and she will just have to get over her wanting babies. She wouldn't move to the dog kennel where Miss Stink set while gaining enlightenment and motherhood. She was so Zen - maybe it was just the broody stare. Anyway, letting mama do the work is the way to go! Now to figure out how to program that broody desire so I have some one for my fall chicks. I think I will get another group of Gold Sex-links, they are really good girls, and quite productive. They aren't the the least bit flighty, and so far haven't had to loose a flock member or two to The Woods.

Other than a major construction project in the offing, nothing else is going on in Chicken City. This week I will take my egg money and buy the steel roofing materials for the chicken coops. The oldest one is falling apart, 3 years out in the sun and wind wore it out, and the last one I made leaks like a sieve, and it is the same as the one that has been going strong for over a year now. Anyway, I am going to build mobile A-Frame coops (form the book Small Scale Poultry Flock). It actually won't cost me more than another wood coop, and hold about 9 more chickens comfortably. If I can get the roofing as seconds, the coops will cost no more than a rebuild on the still sturdy frames of the Yellow and Blue coops. Coops don't have fancy names, just their color or Trailer, since the last coop that started out as a brooder coop, has become a grown out coop and will get nest boxes this week, since the Bebe's are quite red in the face. Since my coops are "bedroom coops" I hope to have 3 flocks of 20, plus the Trailer Coop for chickens in transition. When the new coops are finished, then Chicken City will relocate and surround the fenced in garden (6ft fences) on 2 sides. The current yards are getting rather weedy or bare, depending on if I mulched it with hay last winter. It was some nasty weedy stuff, I have some beastly weeds in a couple of the chicken yards.

Well that's what's current in Chicken City. Take care Mrs. Chickendad, we miss you.

Julie

Last edited:
It looks like the Chickendads have been very busy lately. Thought you all might like a story from my backyard -

Timmy Down the Well

The little Basque pullet, along with all her brothers and sisters, had recently moved from the Little Chicken Pen to the Big Chicken Pen next door. There were many Big Chickens that were not happy to have Little Chickens constantly underfoot, but there were so many that is was too confusing to try to punish them for their constant childish behavior. Who could tell all those Little Chickens apart?

One day Food Person Number 1 came out to the coop with a basket. Was it grass? Was it treats? No – it was peeping. She took the basket contents and placed them under Big Momma the broody Delaware, who was pretty crabby even when not broody and was unapproachable now (several of the Little Chickens had found this out the hard way). She pecked furiously at FP#1, until she felt the little chicks moving under her bloomers. Nothing else mattered after that. FP#1 sat to watch for a while to make sure that Big Momma did not change her mind about the newcomers, when she heard a faint rustle and thump.

She had heard that noise 2 days earlier, but after looking around figured it was the Little Chickens on the outside of the coop being chastised by the Big Chickens. This time it sounded closer – and then she heard it again. After retrieving a flashlight she inspected around the laying boxes. At the side along the wall was a narrow, 3 ½" gap between the studs. And at the bottom of the hole was little Basque pullet.

Food Person Number 1 reached as far as her arms allowed, but could not touch little Basque pullet. Several attempts at rescue involving a narrow rake, a board, and a broom handle also failed – little Basque pullet was really wedged in. Finally FP#1 was able to lasso her head, and pull her up far enough to grab her by the neck and pull her out of the dark hole. Ouch! Peep Peep!

My what a mess! Stinky poop all over, feathers askew, stiff legs and wings. She peeped her misery to FP#1, who took her in the Big House and unkindly held her down in the sink under running water until the poop was all washed off. After she was toweled dry, FP#1 put bowls of food and water in the sink. That was much better! She was very hungry.

Still so stiff she could hardly stand, she was bedded down in the Garage in a plastic tote next to a big box of even Smaller Chicks. By morning she was standing better, although listing off to the side when she walked. Food Person Number 1 took her back out to the Little Chicken Pen and put her in with some of her little Cochin friends. There were some new Little Chickens in there too, a motley crowd of six Dorking chicks, one of whom immediately challenged her right to be in the Little Chicken Pen. Well! She promptly trounced the pushy little fellow, despite her recent travails. She felt so much better after that, she fluffed all her feathers and settled down for a good preening.

Guess I’ve got a pullet named Timmy now.

Our Nosy Noter from Chicken City shared that Miss Stink was spotted sitting in the dog kennel this afternoon - no eggs believed to be in there with her. Maybe the dark shade was a simply pleasant place to rest. Annie-Not looked like she was celebrating when she returned from her constitutional to an empty nest box this afternoon. Now it is time those ladies start helping their sisters and contribute to the daily egg count.

Got out the egg money and took it to the bank for larger bills, 6 Fifties fit in the envelope much more easily. Just enough to buy the steel roofing for 2 new coops. Hurrah!!!

Our ladies seem to get rather unique monikers from their antics. Clark, one of the teenage pullets went adventuring one morning with her sister, now named Lois (as close to Lewis as I could manage since I could tell she is a girl). Named them in honor or our great explorers, Lewis and Clark. Grandma AKA Bebe earned that name as she was such a help to Miss Stink, and besides she walks like I do, stiffly. At 3 years of age she has earned that title. She is one of the two left from the original chick order. So your Timmy or maybe Timmie, is quite fitting.

Dear MrsChickendad, I just returned from a week at the National Cushman Motorscooter Meet with my DH. I had ample opportunity to read! A favorite author of mine is Bailey White. She wrote "When Mama Makes Up Her Mind" and "Sleeping at the Starlight Motel", plus others. Her style of writing is so comfortable, just like yours. Her books read as if she is a spinster, or old maid, so I googled her to learn more. I also have the book, "Lion's Paw". I had read it when I was a teen and found it again on Amazon, re-published. He is another favorite author (from about 40 years ago), Robb White. Imagine my surprise when my google search turned up that Bailey is the daughter of Robb!

I keep a journal of my travels in our motorhome, Big Bubba, but I can assure you, neither of the Whites nor you have any competition! I look forward to your next chicken adventure.

oxoxo Caroline

Baby Barbara Big Butt

Barbara has graduated to the growing up pen; she is now about two months old. She is covered with crisply striped black and white feathers and spends hours arranging her stripes just so. None of the other kids in her group has such spectacular feathers, so she must spend more time on keeping up appearances. She has been practicing tightrope walking on the perch that Chickendad built for them, and is doing quite well, probably because of the size of her feet. Below is a photo of Barbara and her girlfriends admiring her recent pedicure.

The Chickendads separated the adolescent birds into groups of boys and girls, and Barbara was the first to fly over to the boys’ side to check them out. Perhaps Barbara is going to be one of “those” kinds of girls, sneaking off in the middle of the night to visit the boys’ camp.

Some of the little Rhodie Boys have been watching their Ameraucana brothers jump onto the pen divider to roost. They decided to try it also, but haven’t quite got the hang of it yet. They lean back and make a few lunges at the roost before they launch themselves all of 2” in the air, jumping straight up. The Rhodie Boys are all legs and feet right now, with a crown of chick fuzz, so they look particularly ridiculous. One of the baby Rhodie Boys has a little cochin for a mom. She is going to be surprised when that boy grows up! Here they are, just before his "gawkward" stage begins.

Elsewhere at the Chickendads, the (Plymouth) Rockin’ Mamas have had enough of babysitting their children and put themselves back in their regular flock pen, abandoning their peeping babies to the daycare pen. The Baby Rocks have proceeded to boss around the other kids, making for some loud squabbling just like regular daycare. The Mamas seem relieved to be done with the kids, having taught them what they need to know, except for social skills. They are leaving that up to the other kids.

MrsChickendad, I love it that you have spaces for the babies, the tweens and the grownups! I have Mama Sunny and the newest Solidad in the nursery (this is within the chicken yard), but Mama Rusty is in that frame of mind and sitting on three eggs. Solidad and Mama #1 will have to move in three weeks. In order to continue giving Solidad baby food, I will need to isolate her. Wonder where? or how? Love your photos - Little Miss Barbara is already quite the diva!
bow.gif

Seeing as Barbara and Family must be busy i decided to share my diva with you all... she has heard so much about barbara she just had to try it out!

she must have been planning this for some time.....

she was waiting for the right moment....

She had heard of Barbara and would follow in her footsteps!

How hard could it be??? She thought to herself...

one step at a time.... don't look down!!

hey that wasn't so bad... now....

gracefully piroette to turn, giving the impression of my divaness!

and.... ack!! woah girl! slow down!!

I can do this.... hang on.....!

well...OK! so the turns need a little work......

Back
Top Bottom