*The City of San Diego, California - Chicken and Gamebird / Fowl Law*

Hello San Diego chicken folks!

We are newbies with chickens, got us chicks a few weeks ago & loving them!

I am very interested in getting involved w/ the ability to have chickens in SD. With the economy the way it has been, it is terrible that regular folks have so many restrictions against acquiring a reliable source of high quality food like home grown eggs! Like someone around here said, it sounds so un-American!

Happy to be here, to join in the fun.
big_smile.png

And hello to Jess N Jeff, we live in NC too.

Blessings to all,
Erica

Quote:
I like San Diego Pet Supply!!!! Owner is awsome!!! Corner of 15th and Island. I live in National City and have been to EVERY feed store around. If they don't have it...they will get it for you.

Jessica,

Oh really? Very nice to know. Wondering if these pet shop owners are interested in helping promote backyard poultry? They could help us put up banners! : )

- Tommy

HERE IS THE EL CAJON CALIFORNIA CITY CODE ON CHICKENS YOU KINDA HAVE TO SKIM THROUGH THE OTHER STUFF BUT ITS ALL HERE! HOPE THIS HELPS

CHICKENS

In the R-E-40 zone, only the following uses are permitted as hereinafter specifically provided and
allowed, subject to provisions of Chapter 17.64, governing off-street parking requirements:

A. A one-family dwelling on each lot or building site;

B. Accessory buildings and structures whose combined floor area does not exceed eight hundred square feet, including:

1. Private garages,

2. Storage buildings for the storage of equipment and supplies used on the premises,

3. Additional buildings, including stables and barns, used in conjunction with permitted agricultural uses;

C. Agricultural uses:

1. Agricultural crops, horticulture and floriculture,

2. Orchards, groves and vineyards,

3. Plant nurseries, greenhouses and hothouses;

D. Animals and poultry under the following conditions:

1. Ordinary household pets, including but not limited to dogs and cats. Not more than two adult
dogs and two adult cats are permitted for each dwelling, together with offspring under four months of age,

2. Poultry and rabbits for family use, not to exceed twenty-four adult poultry and six adult rabbits
for each main dwelling, together with natural increase until maturity,

3. Horses, not to exceed one animal over one year of age for each ten thousand square feet of net lot
area, and offspring under one year of age,

4. Poultry or animals, excepting ordinary household pets, shall be kept or maintained on the lot as follows:

a. Not within fifty feet of any school, church, hospital, place of business, dwelling, mobile home, or
building constructed or used for human habitation, with the exception that this required separation may be
reduced to twenty feet in the case of a dwelling on the same lot occupied by the owner of the poultry or animals,

b. Not within twenty-five feet of any common side lot line with any abutting lot or parcel when the main
dwelling or building has not been constructed on such abutting lot or parcel,

c. All poultry and animals shall be kept and maintained in such a manner as to prevent offensive odors,
flies, dust, noise and other nuisances;

E. Foster family homes and day nurseries, not to exceed six children total, unless the foster children are
all from the same family;

F. Home occupations (see Section 17.60.320);

G. Board and care facilities for a maximum of six persons on one lot or parcel;

H. Domesticated animal as defined in Section 17.04.295 which does not exceed one hundred twenty-five pounds
in weight at maturity, except as otherwise permitted by this chapter and except that no more than one domesticated
animal may be permitted per property;

I. Potbellied pigs as defined in Section 17.04.885 and not to exceed one pig on any lot unless the lot is at least
twenty thousand square feet in area and then two pigs may be permitted.

(Ord. 4653 § 253 (part), § 255, 2000.)

6.04.090 Violations—Nuisance abatement.
Persons convicted of repeated violations of this title shall be subject to having the conditions
constituting such violation abated as a public nuisance. Three or more convictions of violations within
one twelve-month period shall be prima facie evidence of a public nuisance subject to abatement resulting
in the removal of all animals, poultry, fowl and other livestock from the premises. (Prior code § 5-14.)

Refuse, excrement and manure from animals, poultry, fowl or any livestock shall not be permitted
to accumulate on any premises in the city for periods in excess of five days and shall be removed from
such premises at not less than five-day intervals unless spread upon and buried in the earth.

This section shall not apply to commercial supplies of fertilizer dealers’ stock; provided, that
such supplies are packaged in fly-tight containers, nor shall this section apply to poultry pens or houses
where the deep litter process is used within such poultry house or pen.
(Ord. 1, 1994; Ord. 4528, 1997;prior code § 5-4.)

Indecent or offensive odors caused by animal excrement or other animal waste shall not be permitted
to continue in or about any premises in the city for periods in excess of five days and shall be eliminated
from such premises at not less than five-day intervals.

This section shall not apply to commercial supplies of fertilizer dealers’ stock; provided, that such
supplies are packaged in fly-tight containers, nor shall this section apply to poultry pens or houses where
the deep litter process is used within such poultry house or pen. (Ord. 4528 § 55, 1997.)

Dead animals, fowl or poultry, and offal, pending removal from the premises, must be kept in
fly-tight containers. (Prior code § 5-6.)

6.04.080 Provisions supplementary to other laws.
The provisions of this title shall be in addition to all other federal, state,
or local laws governing or regulating the keeping of animals, poultry, fowl or other
livestock and not a limitation thereof. (Ord. 4528 § 56, 1997: prior code § 5-13.)

“Domesticated animal” means any animal which has been adapted to life in association with and to the
advantage of humans. For purposes of this code, domesticated animals shall include
livestock (i.e., sheep, goats, swine), and poultry (i.e., chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys).
(Ord. 4653 § 19 (part), § 57, 2000.)

Pending its removal from the premises, refuse, excrement or manure from animals, poultry, fowl or
livestock shall be piled in a well-drained area on a base at least four inches above the surrounding levels,
to the end that storm or surface waters will flow away from, rather than into, the pile. (Prior code § 5-5.)

17.12.110 Placement of buildings.
A. No building shall be located in any required yard except as provided in Section 17.12.090.

B. Buildings and structures, accessory or incidental to the permitted uses in the R-E-40 zone, shall be:

1. Located not less than six feet from any other building or structure on the lot or parcel;

2. If used for the housing of poultry or animals, located as specified for the keeping and maintenance
of animals under Section 17.12.020 (D)(4);

3. If located to the rear of the main building and not used for the housing of animals or poultry,
located not less than three feet from any side and/or rear property line except on a corner lot. If located
on a corner lot, no accessory building or structure shall be located closer than fifteen feet to the side
street property line, or twenty feet from the side street property line if the accessory structure is a garage
or carport entered directly from such side street;

4. The roof of an accessory structure may project to within one and one-half feet of an interior side or
rear property line.

(Ord. 4653 § 253 (part), § 265, 2000.)

17.14.110 Placement of buildings.
A. No building shall be located in any required yard, except as provided in Section 17.14.090.

B. Buildings and structures, accessory or incidental to the permitted uses in the R-E-20 zone, shall be:

1. Located not less than six feet from any other building or structure on the lot or parcel;

2. If used for the housing of animals or poultry, located as specified for the keeping and maintenance
of animals under Section 17.14.020 (D)(4);

3. If located to the rear of the main building and not used for the housing of animals or poultry, located
not less than three feet from any side and/or rear property line except on a corner lot. If located on a corner
lot, no accessory building or structure shall be located closer than twelve feet to the side street property line,
or twenty feet from the side street property line if the accessory structure is a garage or carport entered directly
from such side street;

4. The roof of an accessory structure may project to within one and one-half feet of an interior side or rear
property line.

(Ord 4653 § 271 (part), § 283, 2000.)

17.14.020 Permitted uses.
In the R-E-20 zone, only the following uses are permitted as hereinafter specifically provided and allowed, subject to the provisions of Chapter 17.64 governing off-street parking requirements:

B. Accessory buildings and structures whose combined floor area does not exceed eight hundred square feet, including:

1. Private garages,

2. Storage buildings for the storage of equipment and supplies used on the premises,

3. Additional buildings, including stables and barns, used in conjunction with permitted agricultural uses;

C. Agricultural uses:

1. Ordinary household pets, including but not limited to dogs and cats. Except as otherwise provided in this code, not more than two adult dogs and two adult cats are permitted for each dwelling, together with offspring under four months of age,

2. Poultry and rabbits for family use, not to exceed twenty-four adult poultry and six adult rabbits for each main dwelling, together with natural increase until maturity,

3. Horses, not to exceed one animal over one year of age for each ten thousand square feet of net lot area, and offspring under one year of age,

4. Poultry or animals, excepting ordinary household pets, shall be kept or maintained on the lot as follows:

a. Not within fifty feet of any school, church, hospital, place of business, dwelling, mobile home or building constructed or used for human habitation, with the exception that this required separation may be reduced to twenty feet in the case of a dwelling on the same lot occupied by the owner of the poultry or animals,

b. Not within twenty-five feet of any common side lot line with any abutting lot or parcel when the main dwelling or building has not been constructed on such abutting lot or parcel,

c. All poultry and animals shall be kept and maintained in such a manner as to prevent offensive odors, flies, dust, noise and other nuisances;

E. Foster family homes and day nurseries, not to exceed six children total, unless the foster children are all from the same family;

H. Domesticated animal as defined in Section 17.04.295 which does not exceed one hundred twenty-five pounds in weight at maturity, except as otherwise permitted by this chapter and except that no more than one domesticated animal may be permitted per property;

I. Potbellied pigs as defined in Section 17.04.885 and not to exceed one pig on any lot unless the lot is at least twenty thousand square feet in area and then two pigs may be permitted.

(Ord 4653 § 271 (part), § 273, 2000.)

17.04.805 Ordinary household pet.
“Ordinary household pet” shall mean any animal which is normally domesticated and customarily kept for personal use or enjoyment in a residential zone. For purposes of this code, ordinary household pets shall include, but not be limited to, domesticated dogs, cats, small mammals, birds, fish, reptiles, and rodents. Not included in this definition are wild animals, domesticated livestock or poultry, or those animals whose ownership is prohibited by the state of California, the United States government, or other portions of this code. (Ord. 4653 § 19 (part), § 126, 2000.)

17.12.020 Permitted uses.
In the R-E-40 zone, only the following uses are permitted as hereinafter specifically provided and allowed, subject to provisions of Chapter 17.64, governing off-street parking requirements:

1. Private garages,

C. Agricultural uses:

1. Ordinary household pets, including but not limited to dogs and cats. Not more than two adult dogs and two adult cats are permitted for each dwelling, together with offspring under four months of age,

2. Poultry and rabbits for family use, not to exceed twenty-four adult poultry and six adult rabbits for each main dwelling, together with natural increase until maturity,

3. Horses, not to exceed one animal over one year of age for each ten thousand square feet of net lot area, and offspring under one year of age,

a. Not within fifty feet of any school, church, hospital, place of business, dwelling, mobile home, or building constructed or used for human habitation, with the exception that this required separation may be reduced to twenty feet in the case of a dwelling on the same lot occupied by the owner of the poultry or animals,

b. Not within twenty-five feet of any common side lot line with any abutting lot or parcel when the main dwelling or building has not been constructed on such abutting lot or parcel,

c. All poultry and animals shall be kept and maintained in such a manner as to prevent offensive odors, flies, dust, noise and other nuisances;

E. Foster family homes and day nurseries, not to exceed six children total, unless the foster children are all from the same family;

H. Domesticated animal as defined in Section 17.04.295 which does not exceed one hundred twenty-five pounds in weight at maturity, except as otherwise permitted by this chapter and except that no more than one domesticated animal may be permitted per property;

I. Potbellied pigs as defined in Section 17.04.885 and not to exceed one pig on any lot unless the lot is at least twenty thousand square feet in area and then two pigs may be permitted.

(Ord. 4653 § 253 (part), § 255, 2000.)

Hi all,

We are about to jump back into raising chickens (last time for me was 30 years ago) and dont want any surprises like having our chickens taken away from us!!!!

We live in Encinitas (Encinitas Ranch to be specific) and cant locate the specific laws that govern our community after searching in web page hell. I was hoping that someone here could point me in the right direction? I am planning on calling the city but wanted to be able to speak to the laws intelligently if need be.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help

The El Cajon city council is already in the process of considering revisions to the municipal code, so this is the perfect time to ask them to include backyard chickens as one of the revisions.

The next city council meeting will be this coming Tuesday (June 8, 2010) at 7 pm, and the general code revisions are already on the agenda. I am planning to go and fill out a speaker slip so that I can request the change. Hopefully some other like-minded people will show up!

If you are planning to come, please send me an email!

Hey all, we used to have chickens in northern California, but it was never a problem there.

Now that my son is four and has shown to be gentile and kind to animals I want to get some chickens again.
smile.png

I'm planning on building the coop myself, factoring in how I will keep them cool/warm during the seasons, predators and the like... (Any good design plans?) They'll have access to a garden during the day. (Feast on the bugs!)

I never thought of "chicken laws" before... I mean, I thought it was everyone's right to have animals. If they aren't noisy and smelly, who cares? Dogs make way more noise and stink worse than chickens.

So my question(s):
My closest neighbor's yard is 30 feet away (fenced). Will they care? I can always offer them eggs...

Since I'll be home schooling my son, will I be able to say that it's a "school" and therefore exempt from the 50 foot rule?

And where can I get the best layers in San Diego?
smile.png

Thanks!

Thanks for the info! If you are planning to get some chickens/ducks in San Diego, I would recommend contacting a city official to make sure you are going to be in compliance. This will save you a lot of heartache and hassle.

I've noticed that rabbits are also included with he 50 feet distance requirement, too. But, isn't there a big House Rabbit society here? I wonder what the rules are in regards to keeping rabbits and poultry indoors? What about keeping baby ducks indoors until hey grow big enough to be outside?

50 feet from any residence means that you have to have a pretty good sized yard to keep chickens. Just about all the homes within 10 miles of my apartment would not be able to meet that rule.

And, definitely check with your apartment owner in regards to keeping rabbits and poultry. You'll be sorry if you don't.

I'm not trying to encourage anyone to break the law, but a lot of the enforcement of this law is based on complaints or observation (such as if a police officer is driving by your home and sees the flock of geese in your yard or a neighbor complaining about noise/smell). So, if you have a quiet pet and keep it out of sight, you may not get caught. But, you never know, so should always be prepared with a back-up plan.

Last edited:
Hey there!

I'm a newbie out in Lakeside... currently building a coop that will house 4-5 hens. I assumed that the local laws out here in "the country" would support backyard chickens, but am having trouble finding them. Anyone know the ordinances/regs for 92040? I have 2 acres of property, so there shouldn't be a problem around space/property lines.

Thanks,
Amber.

Back
Top Bottom