The Confusing Quail Calculator..

Question - so I tried the calculator, and it pretty much goes along with what my hatch is. That said, it gave me "undetermined" every time for sex.

I have a speckled Italian roo, and the hens are pharoh, rosetta tuxedo, or plain rosetta.

I've got week-and-a-half old chicks showing all those color possibilities...am wondering if it's accurate that there's no way to tell the sex of the particular colors of chick? (Am worried that I have a roo-heavy hatch. Plus I have someone interested in starting a flock, can be raising fewer if I can sex accurately. Already tried vent sexing, don't feel confident about it.)

I'm trying to read up on this and getting more and more confused. Can someone explain the way in which sex is passed down as it pertains to color?

Question - so I tried the calculator, and it pretty much goes along with what my hatch is. That said, it gave me "undetermined" every time for sex.

I have a speckled Italian roo, and the hens are pharoh, rosetta tuxedo, or plain rosetta.

I've got week-and-a-half old chicks showing all those color possibilities...am wondering if it's accurate that there's no way to tell the sex of the particular colors of chick? (Am worried that I have a roo-heavy hatch. Plus I have someone interested in starting a flock, can be raising fewer if I can sex accurately. Already tried vent sexing, don't feel confident about it.)

I'm trying to read up on this and getting more and more confused. Can someone explain the way in which sex is passed down as it pertains to color?
As far as I know the only sex link’s are when you mix a roux and pharaoh. I believe a male roux over a pharaoh hen, I had linked the old thread about it in a recent thread. Your pharaohs you can visually sex as well as the Italians in a few weeks, the tuxes, rosettas and Italians have to be vent sexed, or they crow or lay an egg.

My genetics is rusty but... Sex doesn't depend on colour. Every chick has a fifty fifty chance of being either sex.

Most quail colors are not related to sex and are passed down the same in either male or female birds. The exception is the roux gene, which is a bit more compliacted, but you don't have it listed in your flock.

Some colors come out looking different in male and female birds even though they are passed down the same. Pharoah is like this, idk about Italian. You can tell sex from feathers for these types once they get thier big feathers in.

Other colours look the same in male and female birds so you can't feather sex the chicks. This is the case for rosetta.

Back
Top Bottom