Sponsored Post The days are getting shorter - learn about preventing a drop in egg production!

I haven't been getting any eggs for a month or two and cant figure out why they haven't started up again... They did molt but how long until they will start to lay again?

Growing new feathers is a lot of work, and requires a lot of protein. Increase their protein intake for awhile and they should recover and start laying again.

I haven't been getting any eggs for a month or two and cant figure out why they haven't started up again... They did molt but how long until they will start to lay again?

Check for hiding spots too, especially if your hens free range in the yard. Chickens do not always lay in the places you set out for them. Listen for the "egg song" and follow them to the eggs. I have found caches of 15 or more eggs in some strange places, and I was attributing the lack of eggs to the season!

I think the article is great people need to remember that they are chickens and they do as the natural day light tells them too by extending their day light by two hours you will get better egg production and it will not hurt them one bit! I got chickens to have nice farm fresh eggs that I knew what was going into them so there job is eggs that in turns pays for the food and my healthy choice to eat great eggs I say LET THERE BE LIGHT!

I found the article interesting and was delighted (no pun intended) to see an article about the use of artificial lighting in poultry on BYC's homepage at this time of the year.

And while I found it a good discussion opener, I also found the article incomplete and not entirely satisfying due to some over simplicity (probably for purpose of brevity) and lack of balance (unfortunately with the appearance of self-service...it read as more as an ad than an educational piece or topic opener...which is likely what its purpose was...however I would have been more impressed with the sponsor and less disappointed in the article had a little more effort and balance been shown.)

It is a scientific fact that artificial lighting can and will extend laying in chickens during the light starved winter months. However, whether this is wise or not is still debatable from what I have read, and I would enjoy a more in depth article that does more than simply extol the virtues of lighting but also explains the factual negative effects to help the chicken owner make a more informed decision. (While I am no expert in this subject, I already know that ag research has shown it is best to slowly extend the light by 15 minutes per week and that over-lighted hens can become nervous, cannibalistic, feather pickers, egg eaters, and have poor-quality eggs.*)

I must confess the article's rebuttal of those who desire "natural" by equating natural only to an equatorial jungle fowl seemed poor logic and a simplistic answer to those who desire natural health. One would have to study how healthy and hardy those supposed original jungle fowl were in their 12-hour jungle condition vs. domesticated fowl living equally natural at more northern latitudes taking in consideration all the temperature differences, feed availability differences, and other environmental pressures. Healthy and "natural" are not one and the same as anyone who has spent any extended time in "natural" circumstances in nature will attest.

While I do not complain that sponsors have a voice, I would enjoy seeing more thorough and thoughtful articles no matter what the source. If it is meant to be an ad, then let it be placed as such...not cloaked as an educational piece.

Thank you for your efforts to provide information and education to BYC.
Lady of McCamley

*http://umaine.edu/publications/2227e/
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/20/bodychecked-eggs

I have noticed that, when discussing artificial lighting, the pro-lighting camp uses research-based articles and opinions from avian vets to back up their position, and the anti-lighting folks just use their personal feelings. Is there anyone out there that is anti-lighting that can provide research-based articles to back up their position? I would be very interested to read them.

This commercial has some interesting information in it, but it is several months too late. If you are going to "never decrease the amount of light during the laying cycle" then you needed to have started back when there were 14 hours of natural light, and using lights to keep the number of light hours from decreasing with the seasons. People don't think about adding light in early August, but that was the last time we had 14+ hours of natural light.

What research is provided here that answers the question of whether supplemental lighting has a negative effect on the hen's overall health and well being? In fact, all the information this advertisement pulled off the internet is within the context of commercial egg production. Even light to reduce stress is only needed when hens are kept in stressful environments, which I hope backyard flock owners strive against.

Further, one doesn't need research to be of the opinion that chickens should be allowed to follow their natural biological rhythms without artificial manipulation. Just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should be. And just because all the scientists tell us how and why to do something, doesn't mean it's good or right for us to do it.

From what I've read, it's better to add any light to the beginning of their day -
not "at night" / end of daylight ... as much as I would like a nightlight to check on them at night,
I just bring a tiny flashlight with me or use the flashlight app on my phone if there's a need to check.

I also prefer to let the chickens naturally decrease egg production. Not all breeds stop laying when the days shorten though. My Barred Rock, Wyandottes and sex links are laying everyday. My LF Cochins have stopped, but they molt pretty heavy, so it takes a lot of energy to come back from that. If you want eggs all winter, plan your breeds accordingly.
My opinion is, if you have to use anything to make them do something, like extra light for eggs, that is unnatural and not as healthy as letting their bodies decide. I don't need research to tell me that's not good for them, it's common sense.

I only have 8 hens, 7 I got as chicks last spring. They have been off laying. (even my neighbors hens are off laying). I got maybe 1 egg every 3 days, if that. This last month I've been adding vitamins and electrolytes, (I got from my local feed store), to one of their water dispensers; and in the morning when I give them their laying feed I've put a small amount of water on the pellets and then sprinkled it with cayenne pepper. My people at the feed store suggested the cayenne pepper. I got 4 eggs today, two the day before and 4 the day before that, and I was thrilled. I also noticed the ones laying are the ones with the bright red combs. This last week I've put a drop light in the coop for added light as well as added heat. I don't want to have to buy eggs for my Thanksgiving dinner next week so I'm very happy some of them are back to laying again.

From what I've read, it's better to add any light to the beginning of their day -
not "at night" / end of daylight ... as much as I would like a nightlight to check on them at night,
I just bring a tiny flashlight with me or use the flashlight app on my phone if there's a need to check.
The reason that you mostly see to "add light" in the AM is to avoid a bird going from "light" to complete darkness at night and not being on the roost, or where they prefer to sleep.

The addition of light (or the decision NOT to add light) is certainly driven by a variety of objectives.

If you need eggs for eating, the addition of light is a necessity unless you have birds bred for winter laying. In my case, I use lighting to increase egg production as I hatch all of my chicks in Dec/Jan. Due to the extreme summer heat in my area, hatching LF chicks in winter accomplishes 2 things for me

1. Finished size of the bird is larger as they eat a LOT in the winter as they need the energy to stay warm, and
2. By the time the brutal summer heat arrives, they are not delicate little chicks, but nearly grown birds, and my summer "heat" losses are greatly reduced

....again, the addition of light depends upon your objectives. I've added light at the same time for years and have seen no ill effect on my birds, their health, longevity, etc. Exhibition breeders do this so that they have birds hatched and ready for Fall shows also

Back
Top Bottom