The difference between a balck Orpington and a black Australorp?

scoopy82

Songster
9 Years
Dec 19, 2010
Victoria - Australia!
Well clever me hatched black orpingtons and australorps together and while i tried to keep track of what hatched out of which egg, they did all kind of look the same. I'm now left with one black roo that I am 90% sure is an Orpington, I was hoping someone could tell me any distinguishing features of either breed that could indicate for sure if this boy is an Orp or a Lorp. I can take a photo of him if that would help.
From what I have found - the Lorp boys all developed they're combs very early while the Orps are a bit slower, this boy was quite slow. And he is a very hefty looking man, the lorps are a little less plump looking. The only thing that makes me wonder is I think the Orps have rather corse heads and this boy is rather pretty in my books. Perhaps I will get a photo in the morning so others can judge for themselves.
Any ideas???

A black orp has black legs and the bottoms of their feet are white. I can always tell mine from a distance when she walks around flashing those white foot bottoms with every step!!

australorp

LorpRooBoris.JPEG

orpington

BkOrpCklOz.JPEG

the biggest difference i see is in the tail and the roundness(fluffiness) of the breeds

Problem with the above picture is that the Orpington shown is of the UK standard. American types don't have fluff that far down. Post a picture of your guy and we'll tell you which he is. I don't know my mutts or my Marans but Orps, I can pretty much pick out. ;)

Last edited:
From what I have seen and I have a Splash Orp Cockerel 19 weeks is that they dont have the long arching tail feathers like a lot of breeds of roo do. Mine is 50% english 50% american bloodlines. And he is large and roundish. Pic is in "My Breeds" on my profile

Back
Top Bottom