The Dragon Bird { Green Peafowls

Well there's also the lone male at Ho Chi Minh's garden in Hanoi, Vietnam. That one is quite comparable to muticus muticus but more variable depending on lighting. The train is very rosy and the neck is so golden in some angles, yet it's more bluish in other lighting. The iris of the ocelli is electric aquamarine compared to the green of muticus.

Last edited:
Hi Alea,
Resolution, Frank and I are working on 11 races of pure peafowls as the races, colours, pattens need to be work out.
This is my first experance of green peafowls.
Until I became a member of BYC, I only know about 3 subspecies of green peafowls; imperator, mutucus, spicifer, while pavo annamensis were unknown to me, until I found Resolution's pages about green peafowls.
You could choose the brightest colourful race of green peafowls...pavo annamensis Boaven race that may have pink colour on train, but more likey you will end up with hybrid green peafowls.
You need to start arrange for a huge greenhouse to be built during Dec to March, before you buy the green peachicks.
But I still have difficultlies in arranging which is which the 11 races & 4 subspecies of green peafowls, and I still had to re-drawing & re-colour the heads, wings of green peafowls and I still make wrong colours on green peafowls, Resolution helped me correct my mistakes.
I am drawing & colouring the flying wild IB peacock now, so I'll post it later.
I'm a 43-year-old deaf white man.
Clinton.

I'm a 17 year old Native American girl.
smile.png

Well I would get greens that soon, but my parents are still a little weird about the greens after hearing they can be more flighty and some attack their owners, plus even though my mother's favorite color is green she doesn't know why I want greens because she things India blues are prettier. I still need to visit some local breeders and find out who I want to get greens from. It isn't all that easy to get green peachicks I think, I normally only see adults for sale but maybe I am wrong. I do need to try and build a greenhouse though. Lowe's has great tropical plants for pretty good prices so I could get all sorts of cool things. In fact, it would be cool to plant it like their natural environment.

well I'm also 17 and dream of keeping Green Peafowl, but at this point it's impossible. The weather isn't always the best here in Canada and Greens aren't very hardy.

Hi Alea,
I'm a New Zealander and New Zealand-born. I lives in Thames, New Zealand.

You will be an adult in 1 year time.

You have to be patient in waiting for huge greenhouse to be finished built before buy peachicks.

Before buy green peachicks,...Join Resolution & Frank & me in Dragonbirds page, as this will help me and you to understand the 11 races of Green peafowls.

Meanwhile...save your money for films as you need to go to every USA breeders of green peafowls, to photo the birds and post the photoes to Resolution. He'll tell you which green peafowls are pure races or hybrid green peafowls.
Do write the addresses of breeders of green peafowls.
If you do this, this will increase your chance of buy the peachicks of pure races of green peafowls and increase your chance to buy the peachicks of pure pavo annamensis.

When buy green peachicks, you need 2 males and 4 females, in case 1 or 2 chicks dies.

No good buy the adult & immature green peafowls as they are too flighty & wild.

Best is to buy pure green peachicks, so when they had grown into adults, they will be super tame & friendly toward you.
I'm sure you make "super mother" for your peachicks.

You better make plans for greenhouse.

Clinton.

Greens can handle more then you think, build a small barn lay a 2x4 or 2x6 flat for their roost wrap it with carpet so they can sit on their feet to keep them warm and add a heat lamp, breeders do this all the time up north.

Last edited:
well where I live it would be hard to do that. My area is quite populated plus I have other things right now to worry about like school.

hmm there's more than 11 races of Green Peafowl. There are at least 6 species

muticus - extinct in the wild, found in captivity (such as Wolfgang Mennig stock); 2 subspecies

annamensis has several subspecies, most distinctive is bokorensis

imperator has at least four subspecies, siamensis, cattiensis, tonkinensis and yunnanensis.

spicifer has 3-4 subspecies, spicifer, arakensis, tanitharyi etc.

javanensis has 2 subspecies, eastern race (found in Baluran National Park) is brighter than the western race (Nominate found in Ujung Kulon National Park).

finally we have antiqus, the largest and most enigmatic of them all. this form has 2 subspecies.

Blue Peafowl has 2 subspecies, Sri Lankan singhalensis and nominate cristatus which is also divided into different variations like the ones in Nepal and Rajasthan.

I found out about Kermit's work on a site that he made several years ago. Unfortunately many pictures didn't show up and now MSN groups is gone.

Kermit, you mentioned going to Japan recently, did u go to Ueno Zoo?

Here's another photo I found, where there are more Green Peacocks:
a0903c17.JPG

They probably have more than one enclosure and a group of these birds but don't show them all. The bird at the bottom has strange wings, epistasis? But strange how you mention only seeing that on females. Perhaps these aren't pure nominate imperator...

Last edited:
I thought peafowl would get in the way with school at first, but they are like a stress reliever. When I get out of school and I feed the peafowl, I forget about the stresses of school and just look at the beauty of the birds. Luckily even if you have people living very close to you green peafowl don't make much noise unlike India blues, but even then mine don't make much noise in the breeding season and the neighbors love them, which sadly is not always the case. I hope you can get some good green peafowl someday.

Hi Frank,
Slow down, Resolution is still working out on 11 races of green peafowls.
Working on 11 races of green peafowls, is tricky and means you have to have 22 to 30 dead green peafowls, and the birds have to have datas about where they come from.
This will take months of getting DNAs from birds and sorting races of peafowls.

Pavo cristatus:

1)cristatus-well known & both as wild birds in India and kept as domestic birds worldwide.
2)singhalensis-appearance & plumages largely unknown.

Pavo annamensis:

1)annamensis
2)siamensis
3)bokorensis-have pink train ???.
4)North Thailand
5) Bolaven race

Pavo imperator:

1) imperator
2) siamensis
3) cattiensis
4) tonkinensis
5) yunnanensis