The Duck Thread

Ok, so below is a picture of my Swedish/Runner duck. It is smaller than my other females. It doesn't have a curled tail and has not jumped on our hens. It hasn't laid an egg (however, we got it from a place with many ducks so it might not been healthy enough yet). But it has an unusual sound. It is deeper than my Peking drakes sound. Also, my drake has tried to "jump" on it, (she's too quick), but I'm not sure if he is trying to mate or showing aggression. We are almost sure it is a girl. "Her" name is Lucy. Can someone help me?

Tux has finally shown his drake feather at 13 weeks old. And I finally got pictures of him that show his colours: green sheen on his head, neck and shoulders, teal on wings and tail, chestnut chest.
Blue Runner hen x KC/Rouen drake
he's got the height of a Runner and the bulk of his KC/Rouen dad; he's the biggest in the yard.
mom: Mother Buttless, is dwarfed by him but he still hangs with her - a Momma's boy!
Unfortunately, I now have too many drakes and the girls aren't laying enough eggs to pay for their food - egg production is way down. Tux, and any other drakes that show themselves as they mature, have to go. If anyone wants a drake, PM me or go to www.lsshaftsfarm.com for contact info. Portland, OR area.

How old are they? I don't see the drake tail feather but might not be old enough to be sporting one yet, and quacks also help ducks quack loud and often drakes sound raspy and much quieter.

I think we got it figured out by the drake going after all 3 of them. They are not mature enough to lay eggs so I am not sure they are old enough for him to be chasing them down.

I think we got it figured out by the drake going after all 3 of them. They are not mature enough to lay eggs so I am not sure they are old enough for him to be chasing them down.
My drakes won't mess with a duck till close to laying age and usually mating starts first then the eggs begin.
smile.png
But if you think they are younger than 4 months I'd separate them from the drake and give them more time to mature.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Ducks - I have 3 Muscovy females, 13 months old. 9 days ago my lowman on the totem pole, Lucy, was attacked by my dog. She survived and I have just put her back out with my other two - who promptly attacked her. I anticipated this and had redone the enclosure so she could be separated. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to re introduce and does anyone have any pointers? I know what to do with Dogs, Horses and Chickens, if that helps. The ducks have been a hard adjustment for me - I thought they would be similar enough to my chickens, but I can see that there is whole new world of behavior to learn. I have been able to do some clicker training with my chickens, but these ducks are so darn fearful, I just don't know how to proceed and the injured duck threw a big wrench in my progress with them. I got them 3 months ago together and my understanding was that they came from a meat duck producer who was over crowded. I guess you could consider it a rescue situation.
Thanks!

My drakes won't mess with a duck till close to laying age and usually mating starts first then the eggs begin.
smile.png
But if you think they are younger than 4 months I'd separate them from the drake and give them more time to mature.

The oldest duckling hatched 5/13 and the other 3 starting on the 17th, I didn't write down when the last on hatched but probably no later than the 19th. I might have to lock that drake up for a month or 3 weeks. He will not like that.

Back
Top Bottom