The Duck Thread

I call them apostles cos anywhere u go or point to they would follow you

Hi everyone, 

I'm new to Ducks - I have 3 Muscovy females, 13 months old. 9 days ago my lowman on the totem pole, Lucy, was attacked by my dog. She survived and I have just put her back out with my other two - who promptly attacked her. I anticipated this and had redone the enclosure so she could be separated. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to re introduce and does anyone have any pointers? I know what to do with Dogs, Horses and Chickens, if that helps. The ducks have been a hard adjustment for me - I thought they would be similar enough to my chickens, but I can see that there is whole new world of behavior to learn. I have been able to do some clicker training with my chickens, but these ducks are so darn fearful, I just don't know how to proceed and the injured duck threw a big wrench in my progress with them. I got them 3 months ago together and my understanding was that they came from a meat duck producer who was over crowded. I guess you could consider it a rescue situation. 
Thanks!

Yes! What I've read about is someone on here had the same problem with introducing new ducks I to a flock so it should be the same about reintroducing. She had the two pens separated only by a single layer of hardcloth wire. This let them see each other be around each other but can't touch each other. That way they could watch and know the duck before bringing it back into the flock.I believe it was 3 weeks after letting them know each other through the fence she put the duck into the flock

You probably already made a pen but a tip if you are going to make more is to build I frame with 2\4 and use a staple gun to staple fence on the inside then nail or screw the frames together. Hope I helped!

Is 6 and a half pounds a normal weight for a mature muscovy drake?

Drakes can get to be 15lbs. Depends on the parents, some are smaller then others. If your drake is only 6 lbs and full growen, he would be on the small side. Muscovy ducks breed for meat are bigger. This is my understanding from Storeys guide and the people I have talked to.

Last edited:
Okay can I give my ducks any human medicine? Baby medicine? They're 3 days old and I believe they caught a cold last night because of their water episode. The could fit into their old watering bowl and would get soaking wet and freezing cold. Last night I dried them 4 separate times and then made them a new watering bowl only their heads can fit in! Ones dribbling some when she eats and the other has cold feet I have them under heat but they don't seem to stay warm

Back
Top Bottom