The EE braggers thread!!!

Oh! Any idea how the comb would turn out? I like the small pea comb
smile.png

You will get a intermediate comb . Tall pea on males and medium tall blade on hens . Leghorns are dominant white so you will get white with some color spots .

Ladysmith
I did an lavender am roo to a white leghorn hen. The offspring recently started laying lg blue eggs. Here is a pic of one. They all came outlooking the same.

Ladysmith
I did an lavender am roo to a white leghorn hen. The offspring recently started laying lg blue eggs. Here is a pic of one. They all came outlooking the same.

Beautiful! Thanks for the photo! I expected yellow or green legs and a bigger comb. Glad to hear about the large blue eggs. I was also hoping for good production like the leghorns are known for. How is their behavior? Flighty like a leghorn? Or more curious like the americauna?

Most are friendly but I did have 2 that were flighty. They tamed down after a few weeks of working with them. I was careful to choose a friendly leghorn for the mother. The combs aren't to high but taller than a standard peacomb.

Beautiful! Thanks for the photo! I expected yellow or green legs and a bigger comb. Glad to hear about the large blue eggs. I was also hoping for good production like the leghorns are known for. How is their behavior? Flighty like a leghorn? Or more curious like the americauna?

If the resulting bird or your blue laying parent had green or yellow legs, there's no Ameraucana in there.
wink.png

All of my ameraucanas have the slate colour legs, I just thought crossed with a leghorn they would be green...

Nah. It takes a bird to have both copies of slate and yellow genes to get green legs. Correction, it takes both copies of yellow.

Last edited:
Oh, sigh. My EE, Merrie, is now 35 weeks old, and has not even begun to squat, much less to lay an egg. I'm reluctant to light the coop in the early mornings (middle of the night) because I've read that it can shorten a hen's life, as well as her laying years. Also, my FBCM and my SS - the only two who are laying - are laying 3-4 eggs each per week, and I don't want to disturb their schedules. It's also too darn cold here in Denver right now, and I fear they will just lay their eggs earlier and they'll be frozen by the time I can gather them.

Is this one of those situations where Merrie won't lay until the days are significantly longer? I've been giving her (and my other girls) extra protein, and they're all wonderfully healthy, so I don't think protein is a problem.

I am just so - well - longing when I see all your beautiful eggs - from EEs much younger than Merrie.

:rolleyes:

Patience is key. Often the winter can in fact prolong a young pullet's wait to lay her first egg. And of course, not all pullets begin laying at the same 'ol early 5-7 month age. I've known plenty pullets of many breeds and crossbreeds alike to lay anywhere from 6-14 months of age. If their time to lay is creeping into winter months, I usually have to wait a little bit longer. But not too much longer, don't worry.

Back
Top Bottom