The EMERGENCY Thread!!!

Pics
@ashjun
Are their combs any paler than usual? Do they have droppings around their vents? What treats are they getting along with their feed? Do you deworm? It could be several different things. Most likely an infection called vent gleet, worms or something they are eating. A probiotic added to their water would be best for now.

Thanks for the quick response! The hens who are molting have a pale comb, but I'm pretty sure the bigger white poo with no brown was from Thelma who is not yet molting and has a bright red comb. No droppings around vents. They get fresh produce, free range on grass, and a scratch and safflower seed mix before bed as a snack and way to call them back to the run. They were dewormed this summer. I've never heard of vent fleet, but will look it up and in the mean time put probiotics in their water.

Also they usually get nature wise organic layer crumbles, but because of the molting someone told me to feed them a 20% grower feed and dried grubs or meal worms for an extra protein snack. Wonder if the sudden change in protein is too much?

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response! The hens who are molting have a pale comb, but I'm pretty sure the bigger white poo with no brown was from Thelma who is not yet molting and has a bright red comb. No droppings around vents. They get fresh produce, free range on grass, and a scratch and safflower seed mix before bed as a snack and way to call them back to the run. They were dewormed this summer. I've never heard of vent fleet, but will look it up and in the mean time put probiotics in their water.

Also they usually get nature wise organic layer crumbles, but because of the molting someone told me to feed them a 20% grower feed and dried grubs or meal worms for an extra protein snack. Wonder if the sudden change in protein is too much?

How hot is it where you are?

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Quote:
She also can't get enough minced green grass. I have been cutting it up into bits since she passed the impaction.

I have been putting part of one of my probiotic capsules in her water. They have 30 billion live bacteria per dosage.

She'll only eat moving things, insects, crickets and meal worms that I purchased at a pet store. We'll, my daughter did get her to eat some minced chicken mixed with some of the grass.
Try your best to get her to eat her normal feed or chick starter. Add some poultry vitamins to her water. Most feeds already of pro&pre-biotics, so check your label. What you want to see is if you can get her back onto a balanced, nutritional, poultry diet. This will help you determine if diet is the cause of the poop or if there is a underlying illness that hasn't been addressed.

I guess what I'm failing to express is that, she had had chicken feed available to her from the moment that her crop cleared. Regular pelleted feed, wet pellet feed, wet pelleted feed with yogurt, wet feed with yogurt and grass and grits. I've given it to her in all manners, she just won't eat it. Other than forcing it down her throat somehow, I don't know how to get her to eat chicken feed. She refuses to eat it. It's available to her 24 hours a day. If she eats it, it's only in tiny portions so that I cannot see that she has eaten any at all.

Yesterday, I brought one of our nicer hens into the garage with her. The sick hen watched her gobble up her feed, she went and ate a few pieces of feed but I could count on both hands the amount of pellets she ate.

Later that day I minced up some pear and apple, and she ate all of that, along with some wormS. But didn't touch the chicken feed for the rest of the day.

I guess what I'm failing to express is that, she had had chicken feed available to her from the moment that her crop cleared. Regular pelleted feed, wet pellet feed, wet pelleted feed with yogurt, wet feed with yogurt and grass and grits. I've given it to her in all manners, she just won't eat it. Other than forcing it down her throat somehow, I don't know how to get her to eat chicken feed. She refuses to eat it. It's available to her 24 hours a day. If she eats it, it's only in tiny portions so that I cannot see that she has eaten any at all.

Yesterday, I brought one of our nicer hens into the garage with her. The sick hen watched her gobble up her feed, she went and ate a few pieces of feed but I could count on both hands the amount of pellets she ate.

Later that day I minced up some pear and apple, and she ate all of that, along with some wormS. But didn't touch the chicken feed for the rest of the day.

don't worry. animals are smarter than people. they don't eat if sick which is good. give her veggies and fruits, she will be fine with that. my chickens don't eat chicken feed while recovering. they will when they feel they should. don't force feed her if she is eating anything. she knows. just make sure she is drinking.

I thawed out some frozen sweet corn and I mixed it with some minced apple and she ate most of that this morning, along with about 5 or 6 large crickets my husband picked up at the pet store. Oh, and I tore some dark green romaine lettuce into bits and she ate all of that too.

Guess that's something. Better than nothing.

I see
smile.png
Yes, eating something is better than nothing.

I hope she recovers soon.

Thank you. So do I. Being a nurse maid to a chicken 24 hours a day for 3 weeks is getting to be old. I'm neglecting a lot of my other chores.
1f623.png
263a.png

I want her to be well for the both of us. And then, after she is well, will come the enormous challenge of trying to assimilate her back into the flock without her being beaten up. I am SO NOT looking forward to THAT. I already gave a Dominique hen trying to attack her through the little fenced in area set up for her so that she can be outside, and around the others. Though the sick hen pecked her on the head and sent her running afterward, but she kept coming back for more! SMH!

Thank you. So do I. Being a nurse maid to a chicken 24 hours a day for 3 weeks is getting to be old. I'm neglecting a lot of my other chores.
1f623.png
263a.png

I want her to be well for the both of us. And then, after she is well, will come the enormous challenge of trying to assimilate her back into the flock without her being beaten up. I am SO NOT looking forward to THAT. I already gave a Dominique hen trying to attack her through the little fenced in area set up for her so that she can be outside, and around the others. Though the sick hen pecked her on the head and sent her running afterward, but she kept coming back for more! SMH!

after recovery I just put the chicken with the others at night and when they wake up in the morning they are ok. must be dark otherwise they start pecking straight away. early in the morning I feed them so they are too busy to bother with the recovered chicken.

Back
Top Bottom