THE FIRST EGG MY CHICKENS LAID

Pics
I got my very first egg Aug 19 from my favorite pullet Martha (BSL) at 21 weeks. She's been going strong, laying 5 the first week and only taking 1 day off the last 2 weeks. A week later my big BO Molly started. And a week ago my australorp and WL both started the same day. I'm already loving the color variety, can't wait for my EEs and FBCMs to add to it.

Martha's firstView attachment 1132326

Harriet vs. Betsy first
View attachment 1132327

So glad I chose a variety of chickens to get different colors. :)
View attachment 1132328
And different sizes! Neat

IMG_7615.jpg
She laid a second egg today! Is that even possible? I thought silkies weren't reliable layers. I went outside to see her huffing and puffing. She let out a big squawk and there it was! The second egg at around noon today

It looks like an ISA Brown egg color
I was thinking that. It is weird bc she barely has comb development. Then again, neither did Mary.
I will have to find them in the box before the egg to be sure. Chickaletta (leghorn) was very active this evening after dark in the coop. She was walking around between the nesting boxes. At 26-27weeks now I think she's feeling an egg coming on.

I put two ceramics each back in the boxes and found a nice, clean, brown egg this morning. :) Strangely though I found Della back in the nesting box several hours later. So maybe someone else started early. We shall see...

that's great that putting the ceramic egg worked - it did for us too - somehow they need to practice and get it right and aim in the nest - I've watched them standing and hanging their butts over the outside of the nest and their little coolies are pushing and pushing and I'm waiting for the egg to fall out and break - then, at the last second they turn around -weird little ducks ;-0

View attachment 1134981 She laid a second egg today! Is that even possible? I thought silkies weren't reliable layers. I went outside to see her huffing and puffing. She let out a big squawk and there it was! The second egg at around noon today

ours are sometimes once day and then they skip, but their bodies are just getting started!

that's great that putting the ceramic egg worked - it did for us too - somehow they need to practice and get it right and aim in the nest - I've watched them standing and hanging their butts over the outside of the nest and their little coolies are pushing and pushing and I'm waiting for the egg to fall out and break - then, at the last second they turn around -weird little ducks ;-0

My first bird to lay did so while perched on a roost about three feet above the floor of the coop. It landed on a bare spot in the floor but didn't break. I think they are a little more resilient than store eggs. :)

I was thinking that. It is weird bc she barely has comb development. Then again, neither did Mary.
I will have to find them in the box before the egg to be sure. Chickaletta (leghorn) was very active this evening after dark in the coop. She was walking around between the nesting boxes. At 26-27weeks now I think she's feeling an egg coming on.
Chickaletta is plenty old enough to start laying.

Back
Top Bottom