The fish tank thread.

Sometimes owning a couple guppies is like containing the shrapnel of a bomb
1f602.png
, they never stop breeding. And you can never catch every single one either because there is always more hiding somewhere.

Lol, my 17 guppies just turned to 30 guppies! MORE BABIES! Lol

Darn... One of the glofish died. This is why I was sorta afraid to get some, I heard they are inbred and much weaker then their non-florescent cousins. But I still love their color, I am gonna pick up 3 more tomorrow.

Sometimes owning a couple guppies is like containing the shrapnel of a bomb
1f602.png
, they never stop breeding. And you can never catch every single one either because there is always more hiding somewhere.

When breeding livebearers we always use the excess fry for live food for our other groups -- it's a great way to maintain population control and give the rest of our fish a good food source that is coming from in-house so no worries about bringing in disease or contamination from retail sourced live foods.

I used to have 20+ fish tanks. I bred plecos (bristle nose) bettas, guppies, cory cats...and a few others. Slowly I've gotten out of fish and into more chickens
lau.gif

But, I still have two tanks. A ten gallon with 1 female guppy (ick got the other three) and a female upside down catfish.
Then there's the 55 gallon with a 12 inch pleco (named Bob, it stands for big ole boy) a dojo loach (Who rarely comes out of his log) and 12 tetras. 4 bleeding heart, 3 black skirt, 1 red phantom, 2 black phantom, and 2 rummynose :-D

That's a nice variety, I have to start choosing too, I spend all day taking care of critters or gardens, I have been slowly downsizing. I have always found plecos to be ugly, I have seen the big ones, you really need to know what you are doing to keep them alive for so long.

1f633.png
sorry, I've had stretches of losing multiple fish before finding the problem. I would say to put water into a container to let it distilled overnight to get rid of the harmful levels of chems in the water, it will not completely rid the water of everything but it will bring it to a safe level. I'f you have carbon in your filter it will clear it up after being in the tank for a hour or so, so do a water change in the morning when the water has finished setting out without a lid on it.

1f633.png
sorry, I've had stretches of losing multiple fish before finding the problem. I would say to put water into a container to let it distilled overnight to get rid of the harmful levels of chems in the water, it will not completely rid the water of everything but it will bring it to a safe level. I'f you have carbon in your filter it will clear it up after being in the tank for a hour or so, so do a water change in the morning when the water has finished setting out without a lid on it.
X2 on setting water out overnight at least. I have a few salamanders and they are super sensitive to contaminates such as chlorine, but I don't want to buy special water or use my dechlorifier I use for my fish every time so I just fill up a bottle and leave it overnight and I've had absolutely no problems with using that for the salamanders.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom