The Front Porch Swing

Agreed, subject change! Does anyone have yummy campfire recipies? We're going camping for five days! Me, my son, his cousin and aunt and uncle. My husband can't make it ;(

Wrap whole bananas in tin foil and "roast" them like potatoes. Open the foil, cut into the banana lengthwise, add in yummy stuff, eat with a spoon. Suggestions for "yummy stuff" include: 'smore stuff, chocolate, marshmallows, granola or graham crackers or animal cookies or vanilla wafers or ...

Lately I've been making my smashed sweet potatoes with roasted bananas instead of sugar.

There are all kinds of things you can make in a cast iron dutch oven using hot coals ...

Hello friends!
frow.gif
I've been quietly lurking lately, so busy with the end of the school year.

First and most importantly, thoughts and prayers to those who need them.

Last day of Kindergarten for my little man, where in the world did the time go? Two months off before back to school and 1st grade!!

Thought of you, Blooie, when my Wyoming travel guide hit the mailbox last week. It had this really cool vintage looking "Yellowstone or BUST" road trip sticker in it. We won't make it that far this summer, but maybe in a couple years!

Day ten on my rookie broody experience. I decided that I would candle once at day ten to remove any clears and then keep my hands off and let momma do what she does best. This being both the broody and my first time, and no clue on the fertility of my barnyard mix of chickens, I figured I would get lucky if a couple showed development. Even more so if a chick actually hatched. Well… my untrained eye noted a spiderweb of blood vessels in all TEN eggs! Movement in at least 4, but most of the eggs are blue/green or brown so I had to look really hard. I also looked quick as I didn't want to disturb the nest much. This could be the about craziest thing I have ever done!!!!
Broodies do it best. My first broody was last year....mixed flock....she hatched 11/11. This year my first broody hatched 9/10. I guess the moral to the story is don't put any more eggs under a broody than you want to hatch!

Tell her one day is her's and one day is your's and let her figure out how to entertain them.  :lau

I just feel like when we go camping we have ideas but we kind of see where the day takes us. My son will just sit and dig in the dirt for hours with his toy tractor. I've gone camping every year since birth and it was never so planned out! I mean food was planned but oh my gosh! This is over the top! Then she even has a system for when we can bring the kids stuff out.... can't be all at once, has to be a new surprise every day. I don't get it. I'm like, we will go for a hike and to the water everyday I'm sure. Isn't that enough? I never got board camping as a kid!

I just feel like when we go camping we have ideas but we kind of see where the day takes us. My son will just sit and dig in the dirt for hours with his toy tractor. I've gone camping every year since birth and it was never so planned out! I mean food was planned but oh my gosh! This is over the top! Then she even has a system for when we can bring the kids stuff out.... can't be all at once, has to be a new surprise every day. I don't get it. I'm like, we will go for a hike and to the water everyday I'm sure. Isn't that enough? I never got board camping as a kid!

Tell her it is "camping" not "camp." Meaning, nobody needs a counselor dictating their time. It's about creativity and getting in touch with nature, not perfecting an agenda and earning enrichment badges. Might as well be in summer school ...

Tell her it is "camping" not "camp." Meaning, nobody needs a counselor dictating their time. It's about creativity and getting in touch with nature, not perfecting an agenda and earning enrichment badges. Might as well be in summer school ...

I told my dad I have kahlua I have from December (made chocolate kahlua cheesecake and it was awesome!) and I'm going to put some in her coffee every morning!

I don't support gay marriage. That doesn't mean I don't have caring or love for my neighbor, nor does it mean I'm "close minded", though I most certainly am closed in my mind to worldly things as I am instructed by my Father to do so. I don't feel you are "born the way you are", other than we are born with a sin nature and that is true for all of us~ except Jesus Christ. We have the power to overcome that sin nature through Christ and we are commanded to do just that, so I don't feel we have a license to sin just because we live in this world and everyone expects us to follow the pack.

I don't hate gay people just because I don't condone that lifestyle, nor do I want to deny them anything, personally...that's not my place and I could never hate another human being and certainly not for the sin in their lives. I have a full on plenty of sins in my own....I've sinned horrible sins against my Heavenly Father. Sin is sin, according to the Word, none greater or lesser than another....but it is sin nonetheless~not my opinion but directly out of the Bible, the inspired Word of God~ and for that, I cannot condone it, advocate for it or approve of it in any way without offending my Father. He is not "for it" and so, as His child, neither am I.

Having said that, I can say that I hope that this porch is big enough for all views on the subject and this doesn't unleash a firestorm of "intolerance" in reverse, so that folks get mad because there are some of us who are not "cool with it" in regards to homosexuality and gay marriage. I would hope to think that this Porch contains women of intelligence and good sense enough to not open up a can of worms just to see who will eat one on a dare.
smile.png
Any arguments over the issue WILL result in the thread being closed, as it will the Porch, so think very carefully of what you will say next and how it may affect those who congregate here for fellowship and friendship.
Well said, Bee. I don't support gay marriage either. Having said that, I have a brother and a niece that are homosexuals. Heartbreaking...yes, but I love them both very much and they love me.

Welcome to my porch.....right here on Oleo Acres.
Oh Blooie, I love your porch and that pot is awesome! Roasted apples sound delicious. When is the next roast???

Lisa :)

We usually slice up taters, peppers, onions and add seasoning and butter in some tinfoil and put that on the campfire....I love taters done this way! 

That sounds amazing! Maybe for breakfast one day! One night I'm doing a whole chicken butterflied and corn on the cob. Then my husband and I found out if you put a pizza stone high over the fire and but chocolate chip cookies on hit and throw a grill lid over the top you can have chocolate chip cookies. Mmmmm! Are last camp out we were the hit of the campground! Lol. I bet those potatoes would go perfect with the chicken!

Last edited:
Broodies do it best. My first broody was last year....mixed flock....she hatched 11/11. This year my first broody hatched 9/10. I guess the moral to the story is don't put any more eggs under a broody than you want to hatch!

Freedom Broody: 19 eggs (!!!!!!!), 18 hatched (!!!!!), but one little guy didn't make it. The result is 17 six-week-old Freedom Mutts doing their own thing mixed in with the flock.

Silly humans! Chicks are for hens!

Back
Top Bottom