The Front Porch Swing

I buy a Captivator fly trap. Things stinks, so don't use it in your house
lol.png

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/starbarreg;-captivatorreg;-fly-trap?cm_vc=-10005
I'll buy this tomorrow for the coop run. Thanks
I haven't seen a fly in my coop for 3 years now, truly! Mom is amazed. Deep litter and the FF are the combination that yielded that result and I'll never go back to stinky, fly ridden coops again. Even the poop in the yard attracts no flies unless it's cecal poops, then it only attracts the big, green blowflies.

If not wanting to try the FF and deep litter, I've seen vanilla car deodorizers (the little trees) work wonders in the house, the car and in the coop. When I tried them I was living in the middle of fly central as the farmers all around me would spread chicken and turkey litter all over their fields and then all the maggots in it would hatch....and guess who got all the flies are their place? Thousands and thousands of flies. The vanilla trees seem to ward them off the porch, out of my truck(imagine trying to drive while hundreds of flies buzz around in your truck and will not leave even when the windows are left down), out of my house and out of the coop.
I'm using deep litter or what I think is deep litter, I use pine shavings and DE and just add DE and the shavings occasionally and the flies are the big ones. I'm seeing at least 3 in the house daily and there is more around the coop. I was using FF but when I travelled a week ago for 5days I left them with regular feed, I'm now back to FF so I hope the combination of FF,DL,DE and the stinky stuff Tomtommom suggested will get rid of all of them.

Thanks

Know anybody with a late bum lamb or goat kid?  :D   How about milking her and making some cheese?  Do you have the time or inclination for that?  If not, I'd just watch her, let her be and if it looks like she is getting mastitis, you can start milking her out then. I'd be putting some ACV in her water, if possible, which may help prevent mastitis. 

That's an interesting idea Bee. Never thought of the milk and the lactation urge being useful to another. Actually, I've got a neighbour with a big sheep herd. I'll ask her if she has any orphan lambs.

I'll buy this tomorrow for the coop run. Thanks
I'm using deep litter or what I think is deep litter, I use pine shavings and DE and just add DE and the shavings occasionally and the flies are the big ones. I'm seeing at least 3 in the house daily and there is more around the coop. I was using FF but when I travelled a week ago for 5days I left them with regular feed, I'm now back to FF so I hope the combination of FF,DL,DE and the stinky stuff Tomtommom suggested will get rid of all of them.

Thanks

You'd do well to leave the DE out of the mix. It's an indiscriminate killer of soft bodied insects and those the very ones you want helping to digest things in your DL. It's simply not necessary and it can actually kill the effectiveness of the system. I read where one member had used it and stopped using it....later on she was digging through her DL to remove for the garden and everything was rich and composted until she hit the layer with the DE~ where it was still undigested, dry and quite different than the other layers.

If you could layer in different types of carbon in your DL you'll have more success with getting your DL to start composting and "eating" your manures....try leaves, a sprinkling of flower/weed trimmings, pine needles, even some lawn trimmings in moderation and let it build like lasagna composting. Don't stir it around or dig through it too often....just lightly turn in the manure under the roost or throw a forkful of the litter over the poop. Add moisture if it needs it...it goes better if it has occasional moisture~you can just throw in your discarded waterer water as you clean it and refill it, or even just wet it down lightly with the hose if it can reach your coop.

All these things will help you get a more fly free zone there as there will be no feces to attract flies at all....they will be digested in the DL instead. I wish you guys could see my DL right now....lovely, moist underneath the top layer, rich composted goodness. I'm thinking about removing some of it~finally~to side dress my tomatoes. That DL has been growing and composting for 3 yrs now without me removing any of it and it's only about 8 in. deep. It has eaten tons of leaves, pine shavings, pine needles, flower and herb trimmings, hay, even twigs, deer hair, and bones.

Well seems like im the only one sittin on the step this morning so im just gonna chat to the wind and God cause they listen best...been a long week. Got into that big argument with my two kids then spent 3 days trying to get tickets for them. Guess everyone thinks I got lots of money us being from the usa. Here they think every american is rich, only the ones lucky enough to travel there learn the truth and only if they get the right opportunities. The travel agent for 2 days kept saying he would call, had my daughter yammering how she HAD to get back to help her BEST FRIEND deal with the loss of her fiancé who was killed in a house fire but I cant remember when she helped me deal with the loss of her brother. So we went back early one morning and said we need tickets today in our hands. First he offered were over 5,000 business class, hotel for overnight stay....well I gagged. Then told him it was leaving too late and needed sooner. He said well is tonight too soon? Nope! Took 5 hours of people in and out the door, correction of name spelling and mrs to miss on the tickets and we headed home 3,675 buck poorer. Thats one way 3 stops 3 countries but no delays right to Denver. We got home and told his sister flight was tonight plan a pickup ride and make sure u take everything. They didnt tell anyone goodbye. A young man helped me get them to the airport but since it was late I feared for any trouble until flight took off. Since some people have become targets for various crimes we told no one until I knew they were home. Then of course our internet renewed and I could not recharge it being the weekend here. So my youngest was acting up about not having internet to talk to her friends. Im going to set her straight this week. House seems lighter for one they kept the shutters closed for sleeping and two less bad vibes in the house.
when it comes to faith I dont care one way or another what a person chooses in life but I always asked that while under my roof they follow basics. I was tired of blasphemy. My daughter's music choices which she SHARED with all of us daily and her opinions of tv programming and my sons just refusal to be part of life behavior.
Right or wrong in other peoples minds I felt moving here was best. Wanted to give my kids family and peace of mind. I wanted a simple life and seeing them I got the "I" part right. So they are back with my husband, I got word they arrived but no phone, tv or internet at house well hes going to be hearing their tune soon enough. I can only hope they will help out getting things done so he can get back.
the month of Ramadan starts this month and last year was not what I hoped for but I only worry about us for now. But im trying to prepare much as I can as days will turn upside down and I wont do much shopping at night.
My chickens are loving the fermented feed and I keep adding to it and they are growing. Hard to tell who is who at times they have changed so much. Post more pics when I can.
also had another run in with my senile mil, so im not visiting downstairs again. Sorry but since I got my voice not gonna let anyone mistreat me and since shes mental well best I stay clear since again she accused me of hitting her. No one believes her but I dont care I refuse to put up with the mentality of ignore it.
So I got my house cleaned up and shutters open and sunshine in my house again and I feel better, feel like I been in a dungeon.
Gonna work on my relationship with God this month and also still trying to solve some mysteries surrounding my sons death. But I will stop by when I can and think maybe my blog needs a few entries if I can get my laptop to agree. Welcome new folks, prayers to those who need them and hugs too. Now dust my butt off and get my day going.

Well seems like im the only one sittin on the step this morning so im just gonna chat to the wind and God cause they listen best...been a long week. Got into that big argument with my two kids then spent 3 days trying to get tickets for them. Guess everyone thinks I got lots of money us being from the usa. Here they think every american is rich, only the ones lucky enough to travel there learn the truth and only if they get the right opportunities. The travel agent for 2 days kept saying he would call, had my daughter yammering how she HAD to get back to help her BEST FRIEND deal with the loss of her fiancé who was killed in a house fire but I cant remember when she helped me deal with the loss of her brother. So we went back early one morning and said we need tickets today in our hands. First he offered were over 5,000 business class, hotel for overnight stay....well I gagged. Then told him it was leaving too late and needed sooner. He said well is tonight too soon? Nope! Took 5 hours of people in and out the door, correction of name spelling and mrs to miss on the tickets and we headed home 3,675 buck poorer. Thats one way 3 stops 3 countries but no delays right to Denver. We got home and told his sister flight was tonight plan a pickup ride and make sure u take everything. They didnt tell anyone goodbye. A young man helped me get them to the airport but since it was late I feared for any trouble until flight took off. Since some people have become targets for various crimes we told no one until I knew they were home. Then of course our internet renewed and I could not recharge it being the weekend here. So my youngest was acting up about not having internet to talk to her friends. Im going to set her straight this week. House seems lighter for one they kept the shutters closed for sleeping and two less bad vibes in the house.
when it comes to faith I dont care one way or another what a person chooses in life but I always asked that while under my roof they follow basics. I was tired of blasphemy. My daughter's music choices which she SHARED with all of us daily and her opinions of tv programming and my sons just refusal to be part of life behavior.
Right or wrong in other peoples minds I felt moving here was best. Wanted to give my kids family and peace of mind. I wanted a simple life and seeing them I got the "I" part right. So they are back with my husband, I got word they arrived but no phone, tv or internet at house well hes going to be hearing their tune soon enough. I can only hope they will help out getting things done so he can get back.
the month of Ramadan starts this month and last year was not what I hoped for but I only worry about us for now. But im trying to prepare much as I can as days will turn upside down and I wont do much shopping at night.
My chickens are loving the fermented feed and I keep adding to it and they are growing. Hard to tell who is who at times they have changed so much. Post more pics when I can.
also had another run in with my senile mil, so im not visiting downstairs again. Sorry but since I got my voice not gonna let anyone mistreat me and since shes mental well best I stay clear since again she accused me of hitting her. No one believes her but I dont care I refuse to put up with the mentality of ignore it.
So I got my house cleaned up and shutters open and sunshine in my house again and I feel better, feel like I been in a dungeon.
Gonna work on my relationship with God this month and also still trying to solve some mysteries surrounding my sons death. But I will stop by when I can and think maybe my blog needs a few entries if I can get my laptop to agree. Welcome new folks, prayers to those who need them and hugs too. Now dust my butt off and get my day going.

Are you by yourself now?
hugs.gif

deb

You'd do well to leave the DE out of the mix.  It's an indiscriminate killer of soft bodied insects and those the very ones you want helping to digest things in your DL.  It's simply not necessary and it can actually kill the effectiveness of the system.  I read where one member had used it and stopped using it....later on she was digging through her DL to remove for the garden and everything was rich and composted until she hit the layer with the DE~ where it was still undigested, dry and quite different than the other layers. 

If you could layer in different types of carbon in your DL you'll have more success with getting your DL to start composting and "eating" your manures....try leaves, a sprinkling of flower/weed trimmings, pine needles, even some lawn trimmings in moderation and let it build like lasagna composting.  Don't stir it around or dig through it too often....just lightly turn in the manure under the roost or throw a forkful of the litter over the poop.  Add moisture if it needs it...it goes better if it has occasional moisture~you can just throw in your discarded waterer water as you clean it and refill it, or even just wet it down lightly with the hose if it can reach your coop. 

All these things will help you get a more fly free zone there as there will be no feces to attract flies at all....they will be digested in the DL instead.  I wish you guys could see my DL right now....lovely, moist underneath the top layer, rich composted goodness.  I'm thinking about removing some of it~finally~to side dress my tomatoes.  That DL has been growing and composting for 3 yrs now without me removing any of it and it's only about 8 in. deep.  It has eaten tons of leaves, pine shavings, pine needles, flower and herb trimmings, hay, even twigs, deer hair, and bones. 

I agree with you, Bee. Before I moved my deep litter had not been cleaned out for 5 years. I just took out what I needed for the garden. However, the girls just loved it when I took the pitch fork and turned the sections over so they could dig through and eat all the crawly goodies. I cringe every time I read about some one cleaning out all the bedding and starting over.

Last edited:
You'd do well to leave the DE out of the mix.  It's an indiscriminate killer of soft bodied insects and those the very ones you want helping to digest things in your DL.  It's simply not necessary and it can actually kill the effectiveness of the system.  I read where one member had used it and stopped using it....later on she was digging through her DL to remove for the garden and everything was rich and composted until she hit the layer with the DE~ where it was still undigested, dry and quite different than the other layers. 

If you could layer in different types of carbon in your DL you'll have more success with getting your DL to start composting and "eating" your manures....try leaves, a sprinkling of flower/weed trimmings, pine needles, even some lawn trimmings in moderation and let it build like lasagna composting.  Don't stir it around or dig through it too often....just lightly turn in the manure under the roost or throw a forkful of the litter over the poop.  Add moisture if it needs it...it goes better if it has occasional moisture~you can just throw in your discarded waterer water as you clean it and refill it, or even just wet it down lightly with the hose if it can reach your coop. 

All these things will help you get a more fly free zone there as there will be no feces to attract flies at all....they will be digested in the DL instead.  I wish you guys could see my DL right now....lovely, moist underneath the top layer, rich composted goodness.  I'm thinking about removing some of it~finally~to side dress my tomatoes.  That DL has been growing and composting for 3 yrs now without me removing any of it and it's only about 8 in. deep.  It has eaten tons of leaves, pine shavings, pine needles, flower and herb trimmings, hay, even twigs, deer hair, and bones. 
Forgive my in ignorance, but please translate DE, and Dr (deep litter?)

Back
Top Bottom