The Front Porch Swing

Foxtail like you show is nothing compared with the spear grass I am dealing with here in WY. I dealt with that back in WI, and it was an huge pain in the butt, but this stuff is horrible. This stuff is so pointy that you can throw it at someone and it will stick in the clothing like a spear, not just dangle but actually stick out of your socks/shirt at a 90 degree angle. My sister has to deal with cheatgrass in Idaho, which is another type of speargrass, but she says that this stuff is worse than cheatgrass.

speargrass-500x333.jpg

I borrowed this picture from here: http://stephaniesuesansmith.com/speargrass-causes-problems/
as I am at work and don't have pictures with me. It can be up to 3" long with the tail attached. My search informed me that foxtail is a type of spear grass.

The twist you see on the stem is the twists that form as it dries, and once it is stuck in the fur of the animal (or socks for me) it actually seems to turn the head and drill into the skin. The infection my dog had was because the stem formed a mat and drilled the entire seedhead into his leg. I managed to remove the mat and with some applications of hydrogen peroxide, managed to work it out of his leg and the infection is gone. the tail falls off and only the seed head penetrates into the body of the animal.

I hate foxtails! Ruby (are dog) got one stuck in her nose ones. It was far up there and she had to be taken to the vet to get it out. My husband freaks out if she is sniffing around in foxtails now and makes her get away. It was really scary and he doesn't want her hurt again.

Foxtail like you show is nothing compared with the spear grass I am dealing with here in WY. I dealt with that back in WI, and it was an huge pain in the butt, but this stuff is horrible. This stuff is so pointy that you can throw it at someone and it will stick in the clothing like a spear, not just dangle but actually stick out of your socks/shirt at a 90 degree angle. My sister has to deal with cheatgrass in Idaho, which is another type of speargrass, but she says that this stuff is worse than cheatgrass.

speargrass-500x333.jpg

I borrowed this picture from here: http://stephaniesuesansmith.com/speargrass-causes-problems/
as I am at work and don't have pictures with me. It can be up to 3" long with the tail attached. My search informed me that foxtail is a type of spear grass.

The twist you see on the stem is the twists that form as it dries, and once it is stuck in the fur of the animal (or socks for me) it actually seems to turn the head and drill into the skin. The infection my dog had was because the stem formed a mat and drilled the entire seedhead into his leg. I managed to remove the mat and with some applications of hydrogen peroxide, managed to work it out of his leg and the infection is gone. the tail falls off and only the seed head penetrates into the body of the animal.

Oh we call that Filaree.... or Cranes bill. Its very nutritious.... Chickens love it and so do horses goats and sheep. Here we have fields and fields of it but I have never had a dog that had problems with it. Though our growing season for it is short. Once it sprouts the rabbits and field mice mow it down. when the green is gone you can drag a board and all the corkscrews will mound up...

BTW the whole plant is edible by people too. Tastes somewhat like parsley.

deb

I hate foxtails! Ruby (are dog) got one stuck in her nose ones. It was far up there and she had to be taken to the vet to get it out. My husband freaks out if she is sniffing around in foxtails now and makes her get away. It was really scary and he doesn't want her hurt again.

That happened with a cat of mine.... only it was in the corner of her eye. All I could see were three spikes The vet went in with teeny little forceps. Right while we held the cat. Thankfully they got all of it. And the cat seemed to resign herself to the procedure.

deb

Finally got the good news that all the home inspections are in and the buyers are not going to ask for any repairs. I will be moving in with my husband at the end of the month!!
celebrate.gif
Man, this has been a long 7 months of living apart, even though I got to see him about once a month.

Just saw this wyoDreamer. Fabulous. So happy for you.
wee.gif

What a crappy day!! I had a DR appt to get my scripts renewed. BUT I've had so much trouble with my right knee lately I'm walking with a cane. So I'll be getting a script for that. When I went to the DR 3 mo ago we bumped up my Arricept (dementia). The PA i saw said give it 3 mo and if no improvement we can bump it up again. So last night I was talking to DD Aimee about it and said " But I feel like I'm more on top of things don't you think so". "No" She said I was just like before and maybe a little advanced. I still don't remember putting the bread in the fridge.
lau.gif

So now, the PA has increased the Arricept and added another to it. I'll get them tomorrow. Got my Tetanus shot cause I keep cutting myself on wire and tin. And the pharmacist told me with my drug plan I can have them give me a Shingles shot for $6.40. Can't turn that down. With no ins it is over $250 or so. And lastly the PA is making me an appt with an orthopedic surgeon. I don't want knee replacement. At 220 lbs I don't think it would heal. She said that she has seen success with people bigger than me. But you know that sounds like ka-ching to me. What do y'all think?
pop.gif

My husband busted his knee at work, wet floor: leg went one way, he went another. They had to cut him open to reattach things and remove any fragments... he's 320lbs. Recovery took a while.. lots of physical therapy. It took him over a year before he could put full weight on it again, but now he says it's stronger than his other knee
lol.png
The scar is pretty darn big though, a good 8 inches and due to his weight, the wound stretched a little, so it's about 1/4 inch wide.

It really is up to you, recovery takes a while, but it could be worth it. It really depends on how bad it is now. He had no lateral stability, his knee would just bend sideways if he wasnt careful.

What a crappy day!! I had a DR appt to get my scripts renewed. BUT I've had so much trouble with my right knee lately I'm walking with a cane. So I'll be getting a script for that. When I went to the DR 3 mo ago we bumped up my Arricept (dementia). The PA i saw said give it 3 mo and if no improvement we can bump it up again. So last night I was talking to DD Aimee about it and said " But I feel like I'm more on top of things don't you think so". "No" She said I was just like before and maybe a little advanced. I still don't remember putting the bread in the fridge.
lau.gif

So now, the PA has increased the Arricept and added another to it. I'll get them tomorrow. Got my Tetanus shot cause I keep cutting myself on wire and tin. And the pharmacist told me with my drug plan I can have them give me a Shingles shot for $6.40. Can't turn that down. With no ins it is over $250 or so. And lastly the PA is making me an appt with an orthopedic surgeon. I don't want knee replacement. At 220 lbs I don't think it would heal. She said that she has seen success with people bigger than me. But you know that sounds like ka-ching to me. What do y'all think?
pop.gif

My husband busted his knee at work, wet floor: leg went one way, he went another. They had to cut him open to reattach things and remove any fragments... he's 320lbs. Recovery took a while.. lots of physical therapy. It took him over a year before he could put full weight on it again, but now he says it's stronger than his other knee
lol.png
The scar is pretty darn big though, a good 8 inches and due to his weight, the wound stretched a little, so it's about 1/4 inch wide.

It really is up to you, recovery takes a while, but it could be worth it. It really depends on how bad it is now. He had no lateral stability, his knee would just bend sideways if he wasnt careful.

Same thing for me I snapped the ACL ligament in my left knee falling off the mounting block steps as I was getting on my horse. I was about 320 at the time and when they talked about repair surgery I was skeptical. I talked to the Ortho surgeon and he said Naw I have patched up football players bigger n you and they were out playing football in three months.

The deal is when you have a knee replacement the Pain goes away from the inside.... You still have to heal from the surgery but I have talked to people who have gone dancing meerly weeks after the replacement.

deb

Hi All! It's been several days (a week or more!) since I visited the porch! I have a lot tocatch up on! Just stopped by to say hey! Hope everyone is doing great! Just read the last page. So excited for you Linda220, of you news to get to go to your DH! Sorry to hear about you health! Will pray for you! My oldest DD and I have put up 136 quarts of greenbeans in the last 2 weeks! NEVER have put up that much beans in the 40 years I've been canning!
ep.gif
th.gif
And my DH just went out and picked 36 dozen ears of corn. So tomorrow we will be putting corn in the freezer!

Hi All! It's been several days (a week or more!) since I visited the porch! I have a lot tocatch up on! Just stopped by to say hey! Hope everyone is doing great! Just read the last page. So excited for you Linda220, of you news to get to go to your DH! Sorry to hear about you health! Will pray for you! My oldest DD and I have put up 136 quarts of greenbeans in the last 2 weeks! NEVER have put up that much beans in the 40 years I've been canning!
ep.gif
th.gif
And my DH just went out and picked 36 dozen ears of corn. So tomorrow we will be putting corn in the freezer!

Oh I wish I had produce like that. My garden isn't growing much of anything.

Back
Top Bottom